Bellazon

Sophie Koella
Thumbnail

balenciagaaa

Sophie Koella is half French, half American and 100% certified babe. This young stunna/animal whisperer is still in high school but is super chill and wise beyond her years, and dreams of a world where magic is real. Get to know Sophie below. 

Full Name?
Sophie Evelyn Koella.

Nickname?
Soph.

Star Sign?
Leo. 

Where are you from and where do you live now?
I was born in New Orleans, I am half French, and I am currently living in L.A.

What were you into in high school?
I'm into photography and laws and documentaries and stuff.

In what ways have you changed since then?
Although I still have one year of high school left, I definitely feel more accepting of what makes me a unique individual than when I was in ninth grade.

What scares you most?
The future.

Worst piece of advice you ever received?
"Don't text him back". No games!

What is a skill you wish you possessed?
Being good at math would've saved me a lot of pain and suffering. Also, I wish I could whistle! 

What fictional character to you most relate to, and why?
I'm not sure about a specific character I relate to personally, but I have always wanted and will always want Harry Potter and his entire world to be real.

What celebrity do you have a crush on?
Jamie Foxx.

What's your secret talent?
Animal whisperer and really twisty arms.

What's your spirit animal?
Cat.

What do you want to be when you grow up?
A photographer or surgeon (thanks to Grey's Anatomy).

oystermag

Ph. Darren Ankenman 

sophie_koella_shot_by_darren_ankenman_01.jpg sophie_koella_shot_by_darren_ankenman_02.jpg sophie_koella_shot_by_darren_ankenman_03.jpg sophie_koella_shot_by_darren_ankenman_04.jpg sophie_koella_shot_by_darren_ankenman_05.jpg sophie_koella_shot_by_darren_ankenman_06.jpg sophie_koella_shot_by_darren_ankenman_07.jpg

Sophie Koella Made It to Vogue Without Ever Setting Foot on the Runway
OCTOBER 25, 2016 1:56 PM
by JANELLE OKWODU
The typical model career trajectory begins on the runway, which leads to fashion editorials followed by magazine covers and advertising campaigns—but Sophie Koella is anything but typical. To quote the rising star: “Before modeling, I wasn’t really interested in fashion.” Nothing like a Vogue debut to change your mind—Koella appears in the November issue as part of a portfolio shot by Theo Wenner, and she spent her fashion month enjoying being a teen living in New York rather than running around the globe to walk for designers. With her haunting good looks and quirky Instagram feed, Koella fits right in with modeling’s offbeat beauties, but her personality is her defining feature. “My fashion experiences have been positive for the most part; they’ve given me an incomparable opportunity to meet and work with people, and see things and places I otherwise wouldn’t,” says Koella, who was surprised by “the [fashion] community and how elevating and empowering it can be if you allow it to be.” Here, five things to know about the rising star.

She grew up between the U.S. and France.
“I was born in New Orleans, where my mom and her family are from, then mostly grew up in Los Angeles. I also spent a lot of time in Alsace, France, where my dad and his family are from. I’m half French, so I can speak the language fluently.”

But now she’s located in—and in love with—New York.
“I just moved out here a few months ago. I’d like to think that my most memorable experience hasn’t happened yet! Thus far, [my favorite moment] might be the first time I ever came to New York during the fall of 2014. I’ll never forget how in love I fell with the city. Right now I love just being me, enjoying life as an 18-year-old in New York.”

She likes her movies foreign, her books feminist—and is always up for little Beyoncé.
“I’m still listening to Lemonade and Anti, to be honest. My favorite movie is Les Intouchables, and as for books, I’m reading Bad Feminist right now, and I’m really enjoying it. I can’t pick a favorite artist, that’s too hard, but I would love to work with Juergen Teller.”

She understands the power of statement accessories—a lot of them.
“If I could have one thing from the runway this season it would probably be a coat or a purse—YSL or Gucci or Louis Vuitton, all of them!”

She’s never walked in a show.
“I was scouted on the street in L.A. and started working out there all throughout high school. I’ve never done shows before, so I’ll have to get back to you guys on that one!”

vogue.com

01-sophie-koella-embed.jpg 02-sophie-koella-embed.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...