Bellazon

Chanel Iman
Thumbnail

dcrim

French Connection

To hear Chanel Iman tell it, she was born for the role of supermodel. "I used to dress up as a model for Halloween, like every year," she laughs. "I would study all the magazines and practice all my poses and my walk." So begins the story of fashion's most-talked-about newcomer. Chanel nailed her first full season of shows with an A-list lineup that included Marc Jacobs, Proenza Schouler, Dolce & Gabbana, Alexander McQueen, and Valentino. She would have done Louis Vuitton and Lanvin, too, except she was only fifteen at the time of Fashion Week and, being a minor, couldn't work on Sunday in Paris. "I want to go all the way," she says of her career ambitions. "My goal is to be a household name, and when I do that, I want to help other girls become models, and maybe even launch a fashion line with my mom, like Beyoncé did with her mother. My mom has such a good eye," she says, "and it's always been a dream of hers. I'd love to be able to do that for her." If her current star path is any indication she'd better start brainstorming names. After all, Chanel is already taken.

—JANE KELTNER

source:http://www.teenvogue.com/industry/model/chaneliman

About Proenza Schouler spring 2007 fashion show:

"I loved how designers Jack and Lazaro brought back the '80s, but with a modern twist."

About walking for Marc Jacobs:

"To walk for Marc Jacobs was a huge honor. His show was such a massive production that I was a little nervous. Marc is one of my favorite designers."

Make-up:

"I hardly ever wear makeup when I am not working. However, I have learned that when I do decide to wear it, less is definitely more."

About Marc by Marc Jacobs spring collection:

"I can see my friends and I wearing this collection. It's fun and easy to put together."

About Peter Som spring 2007 collection:

"I felt like a true classic beauty walking in Peter's show. His line feels very clean and fresh."

About her clothes from Anna Sui spring 2007 collection:

"Anna is so nice and incredibly talented. I felt like a life-size baby doll with a sexy edge."

About Temperley:

"I love this line. You have to have attitude to wear it!"

About Badgley Mischka collection:

"The collection was amazingly soft and elegant. I loved the lace and beading."

About Flavia De Oliveira:

"Flavia [De Oliveira] is my girl! She's so sweet and nice. She gives me tips all the time on the do's and don'ts of the modeling industry."

About Missoni:

"This line is very sophisticated with its beautiful patterns and fabrics."

About Hussein Chalayan:

"I have never seen a designer with such incredible vision. All the models and backstage staff were literally in tears as we watched him completely transform each model."

About Valentino:

"I've been a big fan of Valentino for as long as I can remember. Meeting him was an honor and wearing his collection on the runway was like a dream."

Mother:

"My mother is usually backstage with me. All of my friends call her mom."

About the make-up at Alexander McQueen spring 2007 show:

"The makeup at McQueen was ghostly, but fun. I hardly recognized myself. But of course the point of a fashion show is to fit into the character of the collection."

source:"Teen Vogue"

http://www.teenvogue.com/industry/model/chaneliman