Thumbnail

saritaa

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Ballack not assured Germany place

Germany general manager Oliver Bierhoff has warned Michael Ballack not to expect to walk straight back into the national team.

The Germany captain is on the road to recovery after an ankle injury ruled him out for much of the first half of the season and he expects to be fit to make his comeback for Bayer Leverkusen in their first match of 2011.

However, Bierhoff has warned him that he will still have to prove himself before returning to the Germany set-up.

"We know about his personality and his excellent qualities, which are good and important for the team, but he also knows that a player who has been out for such a long time will first have to reintegrate with a newly-formed team," he told the Suddeutsche Zeitung newspaper.

Ballack remained captain of the national team despite missing the World Cup due to injury, although Philipp Lahm has worn the captain's armband in his continued absence.

Lahm has made no secret of his desire to remain as captain even when Ballack is back and Bierhoff has suggested that may not be a bad thing for Ballack.

He said: "Maybe he realises that it would do him good if he did not have all of the pressure on him alone.

"He can also see that as a positive aspect and continue to play at a high level in a functioning team."

Nevertheless, Bierhoff would never close the door on the former Bayern Munich and Chelsea midfielder returning to the national team since he knows how ambitious the 34-year-old is.

"The most important thing is (being able to) integrate in a team, but Ballack can do that," he added.

DISQUS...

Ballack targets injury-free 2011

Michael Ballack has vowed to get back to his best next year after an injury-plagued 2010 left him spending more time on the treatment room.

The Germany captain's woes started in May when a tough tackle from Kevin-Prince Boateng in the FA Cup final resulted in an ankle injury which ruled him out of the World Cup.

He fought his way back to fitness over the summer and made his second debut for Bayer Leverkusen before another robust challenge, this time from Hannover's Sergio Pinto, saw him sidelined again with a broken shin and torn ligaments.

The 34-year-old is now stepping up his latest rehabilitation and aims to be back on the pitch come the start of the second half of the Bundesliga season in mid-January.

From the moment he returns to the field, he will be bidding to put his injury nightmare behind him and get back to doing what he does best.

"I hope that I remain fit next year," he told Germany's Express newspaper. "Then you will see when I get back to my best.

"I am coming back and want to be training fully with the team again on January 3."

Without Ballack, Leverkusen have charged to second in the Bundesliga and into the last 32 of the Europa League and the former Chelsea midfielder has high hopes for the rest of the season.

"We want to qualify for the Champions League and of course I want to be part of it and help the team," he added.

Ballack has pencilled in January 14 for a possible return in a top-of-the-table clash with the current leaders Borussia Dortmund.

• 2 months later...