Bellazon

Michael Phelps
Thumbnail

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phelps targets Thorpe record in 200m freestyle final

Michael Phelps believes

Ian Thorpe's 200 meters freestyle world record could be under threat in the world championships final in Melbourne on Tuesday.

No swimmer came close to the Australian great's mark of one minute 44.06 in Monday's semi-finals but Phelps said the quality of the field meant the record set in Fukuoka nearly six years ago could go.

Phelps, three-times Olympic champion

Pieter van den Hoogenband of the Netherlands and

South Korea's new 400 freestyle world champion Park Tae-hwan will be vying for gold.

"There are a couple of guys who want to beat it tomorrow," said Phelps, who is chasing an unprecedented eight gold medals in Melbourne.

"Anything is possible, Thorpe's world record is nearly perfect. There was a second between his first and second hundred.

"That's pretty much a dream come true 200 I would say."

A bearded Thorpe, who announced his retirement in November, was in the stands watching as Van den Hoogenband clocked the fastest time in the semis of 1:46.33 with Phelps a further 0.42 slower.

"I felt how I wanted to feel," said Phelps. "I didn't really push through the water. Tomorrow night in the final that's something I'm going to have to do. Definitely the work under water is going to be the key."

The prospect of a rematch with the Dutchman thrilled Phelps, who finished with the bronze behind Thorpe and Van den Hoogenband when the two last met in the 200m freestyle final at the Athens Olympics.

"I'm excited, it's going to be the first time since Athens. I'm looking forward to the race."

Van den Hoogenband went out hard in his semi-final and was under world record pace at the 50 and 100 stages before fading, and said he was primed for an epic tussle with Phelps.

"I think I am in good shape. Michael Phelps is also very good and we have the Korean guy, so it will be an exciting final.

"I think I can go a bit harder in the final, so we will see tomorrow if it's good enough."

In other semi-final action on Monday, 14-year-old Australian Emily Seebohm qualified fastest for the women's 100m backstroke final.

She finished in one minute 0.51, four hundredths faster than France's Laure Manaudou, who will be going for the second of a potential eight golds in Tuesday's final.

World record holder

Aaron Peirsol had to settle for third-fastest time in qualifying for the men's 100m backstroke final with U.S. team mate Ryan Lochte finishing top of the qualifying times with a championship record 53.51 seconds.

American Tara Kirk edged out world record holder Leisel Jones into second place in qualifying for the 100m breaststroke final in one minute 6.72.