Trew Mullen
Thumbnail

Pith_Possum

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Vogue Italia

Ph: Rie Rasmussen

01.thumb.jpg.98685d210278ba2123df9bca04a6f20e.jpg02.thumb.jpg.edaf0a136bd6d3fc59f193c04fee285f.jpg03.thumb.jpg.f5396c2a23cfb493d61714efc65fed62.jpg04.thumb.jpg.4c4d4a5e2d92b60d960717014f98d4ea.jpg05.thumb.jpg.a08780e75770c2d31e544bae91ab0a0c.jpg

Interview with Trew Mullen:

How do you describe what you do for a living and what you do for passion? 
“I think my passion is larger than me. I suppose that means I don’t feel I have much of a choice in what I’m trying to/need to do for a living. I refer to myself as an artist because I’ve found that art has never been able to leave me alone. It’s accompanied me in many different forms and I think I’m finally at a point where I can see more clearly how it’s all meshing together- how I’ve possibly been working on the same project in contrasting ways my whole lifetime.”

Where did you grow up? 
“I grew up in a Siberian neighborhood on the edge of La. That’s where I’m from, and that was home base during my youth when we part time lived on the other end of the country.”

How would you define your upbringing? 
“My parents were never keen on pop culture and homeschooling made me quite ignorant to the world around me. The marriage of the two I think really gifted me solitude and observation.”

How old were you when you started in your business? 
“I began modeling and commercial acting at age ten, before I quit for many years. I started acting last year.”

What was your school/ sport or interest /specialty before starting in the business?
“I danced, taking about 5 or 6 classes a week for many years. I was a cheerleader in high school but I feel I should clarify that I was intrigued by the stunts and not the “cheer.” I often doodled on paper and skin, and eventually joined AP Art.”

How do you view that part of you now? Did you benefit from that specialty in your current business? 
“Absolutely. I write poetry and I feel every form of art is poetry. Every form of art furthers your understanding of the next.”

What are your earliest memories of starting in the business?
“Crying at age 10 when my commercial agent submitted me for a feature role with vulgar dialogue, a smokers voice and a New York accent.”

What were your most innocent thoughts about the business in the beginning? 
“That it is terrifying. Lol.”

If you could change anything in the business you are in, what would it be? 
“To merge the business side and the artistry side a little more forgivingly. They feel so contradicting.”

What do you think of how femininity is presented on your business? 
“It’s clear that female roles can be demeaning and less created. It’s also clear that women on the business side of things are scarce. I’m aware that there is growth and discussion around it but I think leaps need to be taken to begin to bridge the severity of the gaps.”

What do you think about women’s overall treatment in the United States now? 
“Ugh. Still very behind. Still less respected. Still misunderstood.”

Do you follow politics? 
“Not as much as I’d like to.”

Do you think arts can influence legislature? 
“Completely. I think art can influence any human and therefore any manmade system.”

Do you feel powerful as a young female artist today? 
“I feel art is my greatest power.”

What are your thoughts on the #metoo movement? 
“It’s a safe space to be heard and begin conversation for change.”

Do you have any #metoo experiences? 
“Yes.”

If you do, would you ever want to share them? 
“Possibly.”

Do you think there is a stigma to being the victim of an abuser? Would you be scared to report an abuser? Would you fear not being believed? (Even today?) 
“Yes, I’ve dealt with abuse outside of the workplace and I feel stigma for being a “victim” when I wish I “victimized” myself much earlier. I didn’t realize my situation was as bad as it was and thought I would be “victimizing” myself if I really believed it was. Then things got a little weird and scary. You don’t become a victim by speaking up and spreading awareness, you are a victim during the actual abuse. After, you are a survivor, that is all, I have been scared before. I have been not believed before.”

Do you think an abuser of women can otherwise be respectful in his/her daily conduct or do you think that lack of respect and abuse carries into said Man or woman’s daily conduct? 
“I think it carries over. Maybe not overtly, but the way in which one sees the world is the way in which one sees the world.”

With all the ups and downs of being a young artist in Hollywood what is your over all take away from participating in the show-business structure? 
“I’m still learning and growing within it. For me it’s about sharing, it’s about humanity. There is a lot of vanity around it which I think is unhealthy for everyone involved and not involved. It can be exciting as well as distracting but hopefully the stories that are being told stand taller than those illusions.”

Take me though a normal week of a young actress in Hollywood.
“Highlight the word “young” please because right now it’s just about class on Monday, and studying and creating Tuesday-Sunday. And beating myself up when I miss a day. I need to get out more, I just want my work to be worthy.”

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...