Bellazon

Hanalei Reponty
Thumbnail

wendylorene

I’m Hanalei and this is my story.

My name means moon crescent. It’s a special name, that I am very grateful to have. I am from Tahiti, where dreams become reality.

I learned how to swim before I could walk, and that is when I discovered the beauty of nature and all the treasures in the ocean. I was born and raised in paradise, and my love for the ocean became unconditional. The beach was my playground, and everything tasted like sand, salt and sunscreen.

Surfing came as a natural thing in my life, like a blessing from the universe. I remember my brother and I standing up on my dad’s boards, spending hours in the water, like dolphins in their element. Now it is my life, because everything revolves around surfing, waves, swells, and new adventures. It’s a passion, a passion that I share with mother nature.

The best part of it is being out there, in the line-up, surrounded by the infinity of waves and people I love: my man, my family and my friends. No words can describe this feeling. The rush of adrenaline, the mesmerising powerfulness of the water, duck diving under the waves, the smiles on all the faces. The ocean will always be my favourite place. Where I resource myself. Where my happiness is, or where I drown my sorrows. No matter what, the ocean always puts you back into your rightful place. It can lift your spirits up, or teach you how to be humble.

The ocean is the best cure.

I got to travel the globe for surfing and modelling from a really young age, it really opened up my mind and vision of the world and shaped who I am today. I got to surf in four different oceans, and countless perfect waves. Traveling is the most thrilling experience ever: you never know where you’re gonna end up, who you’re gonna meet, what you’re gonna see or discover. All these are little hidden jewels and memories which fill up your heart and mind for the rest of your life. More, friends you meet on your way are unforgettable. Every new friend, every new culture and every new country pieced me together.

My travels led me to take a lot of photos for different magazines, brands or friends along the way. It has allowed me to express myself, and build an image of who I want to be. I was really lucky to meet the right people at the right time that helped me to live this wild dream of being model. It is not always as easy as it seems, but it is an amazing job where you meet incredible people and talented minds, and that opens a lot of doors as long as you keep your feet on the ground and remember who you are.

This blog comes in as a personal diary, a reflection of my thoughts and a sharing platform for many of my adventures, either traveling or culinary, beauty tips, or fashion inspiration, art, music, or sport. I lot of people ask me what I eat, where do I travel, or what fashion do I appreciate. I felt the need to find a place where I could write and collect my thoughts, be creative, write about all things and answers all these questions.

Traveling the world taught me a lot about myself, and I discovered that adventure is the best way to learn. Along the way, people taught me that you can make your wildest dreams tomorrow’s reality. So here I am. Life is what you make of it, you just have to understand that you are the only person that can get you where you want to be.

LOVE, Hanalei.

944530_590761130974044_1359751587_n.jpg FACE1.jpg FACE2_5.jpg FACE4.jpg France_4_402x269.jpg hanalei02_402x295.jpg hanalei2_790x1185.jpg hanalei5.jpg image6_402x538.jpg IN4_F9734_402x602.jpg IN4_F9783_402x268.jpg

md_a5c9737612780048872699.jpg

Probably one of the best jobs on earth, Pro-surfer and Rip Curl model, Hanalei Reponty, has the freedom to enjoy everything that summer has to offer, from hitting the waves to soaking up the sunshine.

Whether she's on her surfboard or living it up on the beach, Hanalei manages to stay looking glam so Cosmopolitan.co.uk caught up with her to find out her summer style secrets...

Which beauty products do you always keep in your beach bag?

I‘ve got quite sensitive skin so I always keep Hawaiian Tropic Sensitive Face Lotion SPF30 with me wherever I go as it's really light and contains a high SPF to protect my skin from the sun.  It comes in a cute compact bottle so it's ideal to pop in my beach bag. I also keep Redken Colour Extend Sun Solar Screen SPF10 with me to protect my hair from the sun whilst surfing or sunbathing.

What do you never go into the water without?

Apart from my surfboard, I won't go in the water without first applying sunscreen.  I swear by Hawaiian Tropic Protective Dry Oil Spray SPF20 as it gives me a golden tan without having to compromise on protection, plus it smells and feels amazing too. A good tip is to make sure you apply sunscreen to your hands and feet as they get easily burnt on the beach.

Being on the beach and in the sea all day can play havoc with your hair.  How do you control bad hair days?

I use leave-in conditioner after I finish in the water plus I treat my hair to regular intensive conditioning masks to stop it from getting really dry and split.

Do you have any pre or post surf beauty rituals? Before a competition, holiday or just a day at the beach, I make sure I exfoliate all over to with a good body scrub - I always use Bliss Blood Orange and white Pepper Sugar Scrub.  Then I use Hawaiian Tropic Coconut Body Butter to thoroughly moisturise my skin all over.  I use it after I've been on the in the sun as it keeps my skin thoroughly hydrated and smells lush.

How do you glam up after you've been on the beach?

I don't wear that much make up when I go out, but I always use some body shimmer to make the most of my tan plus mascara.  I use Clinique High Lengths Mascara.  I always make sure to have a good pedicure before a night out too.

Do you do any exercise other than surfing to stay in shape?

I surf a lot so I'm lucky that I don't have to do any other exercise. I do skate for fun too.

And finally, any tips for feeling confident in your bikini?

Just enjoy the freedom of having fun in the sun and you'll feel fabulous!

cosmo

Girls-Tour_Trip-Coral-Guard.jpg

With Summer in full blaze and everyone lusting to get themselves on the beach, we caught up with Rip Curl surfer Hanalei Reponty, who is not only coaching at the Rip Curl Girls Tour but  also has a huge, green heart.

Hey Hanalei, where are you right now and what are you up to at the moment?
Hello, I am currently sitting in a little internet café in Portugal in Praia Grande where our next stop of the Rip Curl Girls Tour is gonna be!

You’re coaching at the Rip Curl Girls Tour in Europe this Summer. Is this your first coaching experience?
No, I have been doing the tour for three years now and it is a hell of a lot of fun. I’ve taught a couple of friends how to surf as well so it helps for sure.

How do you like it?
I completely LOVE it.

What do you like about it?
Pretty much everything. Teaching girls how to surf so they can be little surfers themselves, seeing them have a good time is always a good time for me. They are always so stoked when they come back! And I love talking to them about everything and anything, sharing smiles and good vibes. Plus we’ve got an amazing team, we all live on a huge tour bus for a month, and everyone is just super nice. We are always laughing and enjoying the time we have!

AOTS@Grambeau_hana.jpg

Do you think such events as this Girls Tour are important?
It is super important to me, because it creates a special atmosphere that brings girls to learn how to surf for free and have a good day at the beach. Also, we provide the girls with equipment for the day, because not everyone has the chance to own a board (or a wetsuit) to start to learn. Your equipment is really important in surfing, and we have everything the girls need, which makes it a lot easier. It also promotes female surfing which is the whole point of the tour, girls can surf as well as guys can, and everyone is always really happy with the outcome.

Why is it important to do girls only events, especially in the beginning?
I guess because surfing is seen as a male dominated sport, it is easier for girls to learn how to surf with girls. It creates this ‘girl atmosphere’, everything is targeted at girls which makes it easier for some to go ahead and try it.

Or do you maybe even think it would be better to mix them up?
It would definitely create a different atmosphere. It could be super fun as well, but as boys are usually more skilled in the water, maybe some girls would be embarrassed to try to surf, but maybe everyone would be super stoked to share waves!

Besides this tour you recently had another major social project going, the Coral Guard series for Rip Curl Planet TV. Are you just a very socially involved person?
Yes, I would say that I am, haha! No, seriously, I really enjoy travelling, discovering, being with people, learning and listening, and if I can help the planet at the same time I am in 100%! The Coral Guard Series was just fantastic, I learnt a lot about the coral reef and its protection, and I am glad Rip Curl is involved in such great projects. Plus, we had amazing waves during the week, I can’t say I was mad!

Can you tell us a bit more about this project?
The Coral Guard Project is a part of Rip Curl Planet. These special series were targeted at the protection of the coral reef in French Polynesia. Fish stars are eating the reef and there are so many of them that, the reef isn’t able to grow back and survive, so it dies slowly under our feet while we surf on it. Rip Curl is sponsoring a couple of divers clubs to get rid of the star fishs and help the reef regenerate.

How did it all start?
I believe that Rip Curl has always aimed to protect the environment. They make organic cotton shirts, recycle wetsuits to transform them into shoes and even transform plastic bottles into board shorts. Rip Curl Planet is a big part of the brand and this is one of the reasons why I am involved so closely with it. If us surfers, who are always at the beach, in the ocean, and in nature, are not trying to protect our planet, then who is going to do it?

Are you personally very concerned about eco issues?

I always have been really concerned about eco issues, I try to do my best to help the planet fight pollution because I believe that even a little act can make a big difference.

Eve-shoes2@Grambeau.jpg

What do you do for the environment in your private life?
I recycle everything that I can, try to not use the water too long, or leave the lights on, I turn everything off when I don’t need it, and I try to use eco products as much as I can.

What else do you have planned for this Summer and next Winter?
At the end of the tour, I might head off either to California or Paris! After that I will be back in Australia to study a little bit and travel the world. I have a lot of trips planned this winter around the globe and I cannot wait, but I will spend my winter in Hawaii for sure! I totally love it there, and winter time is always a good time on the Northshore.

What goals do you still want to reach?
I want to finish my degree and my masters, travel the world, meet interesting people, find unknown waves, have a constant smile stuck on my face, learn from everything, go to beautiful places, own my own business, help people, protect the planet, have a family, grow old and happy!  Aim high you will always end up better off, this is what I’ve learnt from life so far.

http://cooler.mpora.com