Bellazon

Derryn Lester
Thumbnail

bigmax

• 3 weeks later...

GET IT - CapeTown 09.2013

post-47866-0-1446025474-58276_thumb.jpg

Just Derryn. But ‘Oh so’ Va va Voom

Stellenbosch University’s 21-year-old BCom student Derryn Lester is not only financially savvy, she’s also in great demand as a model.

Derryn Lester looks every bit the socialite as she approaches my table. At first glance she reminds me of a pixie, gracefully walking with her Samsung Galaxy S3 in hand, blonde hair flowing and a delightfully captivating whiff of Womanity by Thierry Mugler.

Her style is functional with a hint of sexiness: high-top Converse sneakers, black leather jeggings and a cropped denim jacket with a Jetset watch to match. I immediately notice the fine gold necklace she’s wearing with the African continent pendant, a very public display of the love she has for her country. This stunner has a husky quality to her voice and when she laughs, she does so from her stomach. You want to listen to her every word.

“I was discovered at 13 and quickly moved into a modelling house in Cape Town,” the Joburg-born beauty recalls. “I was surrounded by older girls who would go out partying and leave me by myself with zero food or supervision. It didn’t take long to beg my mom to get me out of there. It wasn’t the right time and I initially said to myself ‘never again’.”

Fast forward a few years where Derryn proudly walked the runway at SA Fashion Week at the age of 17. She’s frank about where she fits in. “I’m not tall enough for runway, and that’s totally fine. Catalogue is more adventurous and there’s always a story behind the story that fascinates me.” After modelling seriously for only the past six months, she was booked for her first job through Instagram.

“It’s crazy to think that social media is so powerful and can be used as such a positive tool in this industry.”

Despite it being early Spring, Derryn is nicely bronzed and has the patrons at Java green with envy at the sight of her healthy, sun-kissed glow. “I have just come back from Malaysia where I was shooting for SA Swimsuit in Borneo, and Los Angeles where I was shooting in Nevada. Let me tell you, getting your bearings in a huge foreign airport is not a walk in the park, but I took it in my stride and I was met with adventure and kindness,” she jokes. Derryn has done work for Guess lingerie, Jockey and New Balance, to name a few. She’s also appeared inCosmopolitanMarie Claire and Women’s Health.

“Since moving to Cape Town after matriculating, I made a habit of going on trail runs with my friends and hitting the gym a few times a week. Stellies is host to a few beautiful routes, you can’t help but be health-conscious when your surroundings are so beautiful.”

Derryn remains level-headed at the mention of the word ‘fame’. “To my friends I’m still ‘just Derryn’, and I greatly appreciate them for that. Busy with her BCom degree, with a focus on Investments, at Stellenbosch University, she is not only financially savvy, but also the poster child for breaking the mould.

Beauty and intelligence are a stunning combination, and Derryn makes it look effortless. She’s very pragmatic about the longevity of a model’s career. “You never know how long you’ll be considered ‘hot property’, therefore I’m choosing to complete my degree first. You need a backup plan in these uncertain times.”

Now that summer is around the corner you can find Derryn at Clifton beach, or sipping a cold one in Camps Bay. She jokingly refers to her devotion to ‘buy one, get one free’ deals and is by her own admission a sucker for a student special. This normality is what makes her genuine. She’s one part city slicker, one part fashionista and all-round trendsetter.

Follow Derryn on Twitter: @DerrynLester

Derryn on point

• Love-life: I’ve been in a new relationship for the past couple of months and his support has also meant a great deal to me – especially during my recent travels. He’s been patient with my schedule and is an all-over sweet guy.

• Starsign: Cancer.

• Avoiding traps in the industry: Research the agency and don’t be scared to ask around. Think about where you want your career to go and try to think long-term. I am with D Management model agency.

• Health and well-being: I drink about six cups of green tea a day, I kid you not. It’s an anti-oxidant and rids your body of toxins. If I go without it for a while I can see the difference in my skin and hair.

• Investment: Property would be my main focus; luckily BCom is such a diverse degree that one can really spread one’s wings and see what fits one’s personality best. I do have a flair for business and entrepreneurship, but for now I’d like to keep doing what I’m doing and let the chips fall where they may.

>> http://capetown.getitonline.co.za/2013/09/27/just-derryn-but-oh-so-va-va-voom/#.U0RlRpXNvIU

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...