Bellazon

Cesc Fabregas
Thumbnail

nika1377

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fabregas apologises to Spain fans

Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas failed to find any positives from his side's 4-0 friendly loss to Portugal.

Jorge Carlos Martins fired the Portuguese ahead on the stroke of half-time before second-half goals from Helder Postiga, Spain defender Sergio Ramos, who put through his own goal, and substitute Hugo Almeida sealed a deserved win for the hosts.

The victory allowed Portugal to gain a measure of revenge for their World Cup exit at the hands of the Spanish, having lost 1-0 at the last-16 stage, and saw new coach Paulo Bento earn his third successive win since he replaced Carlos Queiroz in September.

For Spain, it was the second heavy friendly defeat in the space of two months following their 4-1 loss against Argentina, and Fabregas, who replaced Xavi at half-time, admits it was a night to forget.

"We're hurt. It's been a big scoreline but we have to lift ourselves. We wanted to finish the year well but now we have to wait until February," the Arsenal playmaker told Spanish television channel TVE.

"It's not been our best game but you also have to know how to lose.

"The truth is it's a match where we can't take anything positive. They played better than us, they had a lot of desire...."

Fabregas. who also feels that many of the Spain squad are still trying to get back to peak fitness following their heroics in South Africa this summer, added: "Now we need to apologise to the fans and continue forward."

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque admitted: "We couldn't have played any worse than today.

"We had a very weak second half and I have to recognise that Portugal have been better than us. We have no excuses. I'm very upset because it was an important game and it hasn't been our day.

"We had good intentions but the reality is today we haven't been good either on the pitch or on the bench."

• 2 weeks later...

Fabregas: I'm supporting Barca

Arsenal skipper Cesc Fabregas has conceded that he will be rooting for boyhood club Barcelona in their clash against Real Madrid.

Having progressed through the ranks at the renowned Barca youth academy before being plucked by Arsenal at the age of 16, Fabregas revealed that his Catalan ties means there is only one team he will be cheering for come Monday at the Nou Camp.

He stated in an interview with El Mundo Deportivo: "As a Cule, I want Barcelona to win. As a professional, El Clasico is seen as a sensational game in which the club maintains its incredible history, but Madrid are much improved compared to last season's. I see them being more dangerous than in other years.

"No one should be surprised at my feelings for Barcelona because I have never hidden them. My family are Cules to the core, I was raised at La Masia, and that's why I say I want to see Barca win."

The stylish playmaker has also been impressed by the Jose Mourinho revolution that is currently underway at his former outfit's fiercest rivals.

He added: "Their team reminds me of Chelsea, with a typically English game. They push high up, looking for the slightest mistake in midfield, and have attackers who are very dangerous. They are very good at stealing possession in the opposition half."

In fact, Fabregas himself was pining for a move back to his spiritual home before being persuaded by Gunners chief Arsene Wenger to remain at the Emirates.

• 2 weeks later...

Cesc: Barca not mission impossible

Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas says it is not "mission impossible" after drawing Barcelona in the last 16 of the Champions League.

The Gunners were handed a tie with the Spanish giants, who demolished them in the quarter-finals of the competition last season.

Fabregas will return to the Nou Camp for the first time since the transfer saga that almost saw him return to the Catalan club before committing his future at the Emirates.

Speaking on his side's chances against the Spanish giants, the 23-year-old is adamant the Gunners have every chance to beat Barcelona and even win the Champions League.

He was quoted as saying in The Sun: "This is not some mission impossible.

"We can win this. Barcelona are not unbeatable. If they were invincible, they would win the Champions League every year.

"Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool have knocked them out in recent years.

"Maybe it's our turn now - and why not?

"If we want to be champions of Europe, we have to be able to beat anyone and everyone - and that includes Barca."

Meanwhile, United are drawn with Marseille while Chelsea will face FC Copenhagen.

Wenger: We must beat Chelsea

Arsene Wenger believes Monday night's Barclays Premier League clash with Chelsea will play a critical role in defining Arsenal's season.

The Gunners have already endured defeats at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford this term and Wenger insists their response to those setbacks will be key to their title aspirations.

They enter Monday's showdown at Emirates Stadium on the receiving end of five successive defeats in the fixture, leaking 13 goals in the process.

Wenger knows a precious victory over a title rival would give Arsenal's Christmas schedule the best possible start.

"Of course this is a must-win game," the Frenchman said. "We have mixed feelings because we came out of both games against Chelsea and Man United this season thinking we could have won and that there wasn't a difference between the teams.

"We have a good opportunity to show that in the coming months and that our improvement is bigger than any other team because we are a very young side.

"It's about how well we respond to what happened to us at Chelsea and Man United that will be the decider for our season.

"We have played Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool away so our home form in these kind of games will be decisive.

"We are confident over taking Chelsea on at home. We face a big challenge. What we want is to produce an intelligent game full of dynamism. That is the only way we can win these big games."

Chelsea have dropped to fourth in the Premier League table following a run of five games without a win, offering Arsenal a glimmer of hope they can topple the champions.

Wenger recognises that their self-belief has weakened but believes their revival could begin at any moment.

"Chelsea have gone through a period where results are a bit less good but that can happen to anyone in this league," he said.

"We have seen recently that any team, when you think they are on the brink of breaking through, can have a hiccup. Maybe it's just the quality of the league.

"You never know whether it's the best time to play Chelsea. Every game is specific and a new start.

"They have a little bit less confidence than they had in October but we know that winning will be down to our performance.

"We know that on Monday we will play against a top team and we do not expect any weakness on their side.

"We want to put a top-level performance in at the Emirates and show we are masters at home."

Arsenal enter the Christmas period second in the table and even Wenger wonders at their ongoing challenge for the title.

"I'm surprised that we lost five games - three of them at home against teams who are not normally fighting for the championship - but we're still near the top," he said.

"The good news is that we are still in a good position and have not paid a high price for that.

"Of course our home form in the second part of the season will be the decider."

Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie are available to make their first start together since August, while goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski is also available.

Arsenal travel to Wigan next Wednesday and visit Birmingham on New Year's Day before hosting Manchester City four days later.

Fabregas: Belief key to victory

Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas claimed belief was the key reason behind his side's comprehensive 3-1 defeat of Chelsea.

The Spaniard scored one and made another as the Gunners put the out-of-form champions to the sword at the Emirates, just two weeks after they had disappointed against Manchester United.

His goal was sandwiched between the efforts of Alex Song and Theo Walcott before Branislav Ivanovic pulled one back for the Blues.

But the Gunners held on to a convincing 3-1 victory.

Speaking after the match, Fabregas, who recently claimed his side were afraid of big teams, insists his side showed belief against the champions.

"Belief was the difference," Fabregas told Sky Sports 1.

"The difference between a good team and a great team is very little. We did what a great team does. We were fantastic.

"The league is so tight. Anyone can win it. We will try to do our best."

Another goalscorer, Theo Walcott, said he had not thought of Chelsea's recent dominance of his side.

He added: "We didn't think about the past.

"We can't change that. We concentrated on pressing. Everyone was pressing. We didn't give Chelsea any space at all.

"We got the win but another game is just around the corner.

"Everything went well. We made Chelsea look average at times.

"We played some great football and wanted to do it for the fans because in recent years against Chelsea we've been disappointing."

The win puts the Gunners in second place, two points behind Manchester United, who have a game in hand.

We are no longer pushovers"

Arsene Wenger believes his Arsenal side showed they can no longer be bullied by rivals after their victory against Chelsea.

The Gunners had lost each of their previous five matches against the Blues, stretching back to November 2008, and were beaten 1-0 at Manchester United in their last Barclays Premier League match.

However, the poor run of form against direct challengers for the championship crown came to an end at Emirates Stadium last night as Wenger's youngsters heaped more pressure on Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti.

Alex Song put the hosts ahead before half-time, with a quickfire double from captain Cesc Fabregas and Theo Walcott giving Arsenal a three-goal cushion.

Although Chelsea reduced the deficit through Branislav Ivanovic, there was no way back for Ancelotti's men, who have now taken just six points from their last eight league games - a worst run since 1998.

Arsenal moved back up into second place, behind leaders United by two points, having now played a match more ahead of the midweek fixtures which see the Gunners at Wigan tomorrow night.

"It was a double impact," Wenger said. "Mathematically, it keeps us in touch with the leaders of the league, and psychologically, it was important because we were questioned about our capability of winning big games.

"I am happy with the desire in the team. We kept good discipline in the team for 90 minutes and put in a real team performance.

"It can be a very pivotal moment, but we have to respond away at Wigan on Wednesday night in a game where we want to turn up and take points.

"We know to beat the big teams at home will have an important impact on this league."

The Arsenal manager declared: "We are not bullied any more. That is for sure.

"Two years ago with the same players we were maybe battered by Chelsea. Last year we felt we were getting closer. This year, at United and Chelsea, we were more frustrated because we were more in the game and there was no real difference.

"It was a slow learning process that we got out of our system."

Arsenal head to Birmingham on New Year's Day, and then host Manchester City, who are level on points but played a game more, ahead of their FA Cup third-round tie with Leeds and a Carling Cup semi-final against Ipswich.

United come to Emirates at the end of April.

"We have to be at our best and continue to improve," Wenger observed.

"I hope the victory [over Chelsea] will convince the team that we are moving in the right direction and we continue to improve."

Wenger added: "However, this league is very difficult to predict - every game is difficult for everybody.

"We have to show we have got that out of our system and show we can be consistent."

Fabregas slams ref for penalty snub

Cesc Fabregas was suspended for Arsenal's 2-2 draw with Wigan, but that has not stopped him from taking a rant at the referee.

The Gunners were denied a penalty after Samir Nasri's free kick clearly hit James McArthur's hands in the last minute of the match.

Fabregas himself was penalized for a similar handball offence during the 3-2 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur in November after allegedly using his hands to block a free-kick.

And referee Lee Probert's decision to not award the Gunners a penalty on Wednesday incurred the wrath of the captain.

He exclaimed on his Twitter account: "What's the difference between this handball and my one versus Spurs?

"Referees don't want us to complain about them but they make life difficult for themselves.

"I'm not complaining at all, I'm just saying why on the same thing some refs say it's a penalty and some not. Is it a rule or just what they feel?"

Manager Arsene Wenger echoed his skipper's views.

"I personally did not see it but Nasri is adamant it was a 100 per cent penalty," he was quoted as saying in the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

The draw means the Gunners missed the chance to go level on points with leaders Manchester United and will end the year in third place.