Bellazon

Alicia Vikander
Thumbnail

FashionDream

• 4 weeks later...

THE EDIT MAGAZINE, 30 JULY 2015  - INTERVIEW

2AF6F5C500000578-3180141-image-a-92_1438268872027 (1).jpg

GIRL IN MOTION

As one of the most in-demand names in Hollywood right now, Swedish actress Alicia Vikander is on a whirlwind path  - and she won't be caught off balance anytime soon, says Chloe Fox

Alicia Vikander never goes anywhere without a pack of playing cards in her bag. “Well,” says the 26-year-old Swedish actress, “you never know when you might fancy a game of poker, do you?” Star of Guy Ritchie’s forthcoming The Man from U.N.C.L.E (as well as Adam Jones with Bradley Cooper, out in October, and The Danish Girl, opposite Eddie Redmayne, out in November), new face of Louis Vuitton, girlfriend of Michael Fassbender, spontaneous  gambler... Vikander is as cool as they come in every sense of the word. When I suggest we eat our breakfast (granola and yoghurt, no honey for her) before we start talking, she politely points out that her car is coming in exactly one hour and perhaps we had better get on with it.

Vikander doesn’t like to hang about. At just nine years old, she was training with the Royal Swedish Ballet School; at 15 she moved from her home in Gothenburg to Stockholm, where she lived alone while furthering her training at the upper school. By the time she was 18, she had decided that ballet wasn’t for her, and used her dancer’s discipline to focus on acting. At 21, she starred in Pure, her first feature film, for which she won a Guldbagge (Sweden’s official film award) for Best Actress. And, in the five years since then, she has made an astonishing 14 further movies (including Nikolaj Arcel’s award-winning A Royal Affair, Joe Wright’s Anna Karenina and Alex Garland’s Ex Machina), becoming one of the most in demand English-language actresses working today.

It is not just the way she looks – olive-skinned, ethereal natural beauty – but also what seems to lie beyond her deep-brown eyes that makes Vikander so appealing to directors. “You can look at her face,” says Pure director Lisa Langseth, “and see so many different levels of her soul at the same time.”    There is certainly a stillness to Vikander – who has today come dressed simply in a white sweater, black pants, white pumps and sunglasses – that is simultaneously intriguing and elusive. Add to that a layer of foreignness – a formal, flawless, husky English speak – and the effect is mesmerizing. The word that seems to have followed Vikander, however, is ‘determined’.

“Part of me likes the word, part of me feels uncomfortable when I hear it,” she says. “I feel very aware that I’ve had to be tough to get to where I am. I’ve been trying to do good work in a language that isn’t my own. I guess that does make me determined, but it’s in my nature to want to do the best that I can. It also makes me feel safe, in a funny way, if I’m working hard; less lonely, somehow.”

Acting, for Vikander, has been a lifelong refuge of sorts. Her psychiatrist father and stage-actress mother separated amicably when she was five months old. Vikander – who would spend alternate weeks being an only child living with her mother and one of six siblings with her father – used to while away the hours at adult dinner parties planning shows to put on for the guests. She also says that some of her happiest childhood moments were those she was allowed to spend, wrapped up in a duvet, in the wings of whatever stage her mother was performing on. “I can remember every detail,” Vikander smiles. “The lights, the smell, the sense of magic... That’s a wonderful thing for any child to experience.”

Vikander was just six years old when, at her own insistence, she auditioned for her first acting role in a musical. But it was ballet that won out at first. Only now, in retrospect, does the actress – who certainly has a dancer’s self-discipline – realize that this didn’t take her on quite as much of a tangent as she had later thought. “As a dancer, the most important thing you have to learn is how to tell a story without speaking,” says Vikander. “And that is what the best film actors do.” Niggling injuries, as well as a sneaking suspicion that she didn’t quite have the drive required (“The other girls seemed to have a hunger that I never had”) made her turn from ballet to acting. But it wasn’t all smooth sailing; despite bit parts in short films and a Swedish TV series directed by Tomas Alfredson, she twice failed to get into the Royal Academy of Stockholm to study drama. It was only when she decided to cut her losses and go to law school that she landed the part in Pure, two weeks before the school semester was due to start.

Whether it is because she is untrained or because she is the daughter of an actress, Vikander doesn’t quite trust her success. “I suffer from a constant anxiety that what’s happening to me isn’t going to last forever,” she says. “It’s a tough industry. Really tough. And I’m constantly preparing myself for it to go wrong.” It is for this reason, as much as any other, that Vikander hasn’t let up. She hasn’t read a book for two years, although she regularly stays up until the early hours reading scripts. She can’t remember her last vacation. She hasn’t even found the time to learn to drive, a fact that worked against her during the filming of The Man from U.N.C.L.E (also starring Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer), in which she plays Gaby, a German car mechanic who steers her way through the film’s whistles-and-bells car chase. “I didn’t admit I couldn’t drive until after I found out I’d got the part,” laughs Vikander. “When I met Guy [Ritchie], I’d come off the back of so many heavy dramas and I loved the thought of going on a fun ride with him. I didn’t want anything to jeopardize that!” After several driving lessons in the studio lot, Vikander felt happy to get behind the wheel for the epic chase – “A childhood dream come true” – albeit with a stunt man in a cage on top of the car driving for her.

If Vikander’s relationship with Michael Fassbender – whom she stars alongside in the forthcoming drama The Light Between Oceans – is anything to go by, driving is something she will have to learn to do. German-Irish actor Fassbender, 38, is an avid Formula One fan. Just days before our meeting, Vikander was photographed with him at the Monte Carlo Grand Prix, after their separate red-carpet walks at the Cannes premiere of his latest film, Macbeth, where she stole the show in a gray-velvet Valentino couture dress.

But Vikander won’t be drawn to discuss her personal life. “I knew that celebrity was a side-product of my career choice, and it’s totally worth it if I get to do what I love, but it’s not something I feel very comfortable with,” she says. “I’ve spoken to a lot of actors who have taught me that it is a choice. I believe that staying private is something you can choose, and it is certainly the choice I’m making.” At the rate Vikander’s career is going, that choice may soon be out of her hands. But if anyone can steer a steady course through the choppy waters of exposure, one would place their bets on this unstoppable beauty.

Source: net-a-porter.com