Bellazon

Malaika Firth
Thumbnail

Vanessa_gxox

i-Profile: Malaika Firth

Constantly on the hunt to discover her dream date, 17-year-old Malaika is the brown-eyed brunette from Kenya signed to Premier.

A true advocate of the impact of simplicity, this former thumb-sucking 5 foot 9 ethereal beauty describers herself as bold, artistic, enthusiastic, motivated and straight-up. Citing Halle Berry as her style icon, lil miss Malaika feels beautiful all the time inside and out. Without a care in the world and an untamed afro that embraces her natural pretty perfectness, Malaika is a low maintenance girl with an appetite for fast living. Her dream day, she states would be “going somewhere furious to Go-Kart!” i-D Online caught up with the single lady in 0-60 to 6.5 to chat about all the things that make her who she is.

How important is fashion to you? Quite important, I like to look good everywhere I go even if I’m going to pick up my little brother from school.

When was the last time you cried and why? Yesterday when I was answering these questions and suddenly my laptop switched off, I couldn’t believe it! I wrote so much and was so exited to read it to my mother and then BOOM! it switched off. I literally was screaming. I think I even woke up my neighbours.

Who would be your dream date? There are so many male celebs that catch my eyes unfortunately my dream date is yet to be discovered!

What place in the world is the most special to you and why? Kenya because it’s great! There are so many things I can do, like help my grandma with her restaurant, visit all my family. Whenever I go to Kenya I never forget to buy clothes and toys because near where my family lives there is a tribe called ‘The Giriamas’, they live in tiny huts (about 5 to 7 live in one) so it’s great to go and share the clothes and sweets with the children.

Choose one place from five cities you like to visit or hang out in…

New York - The Empire State building

Paris – Eiffel Tower

Victoria – Mahe Island

Dubai - Atlantis Hotel

Jerusalem – The Gate of Eternal life

Where are you off to now? New York, New York

Meet Malaika

MALAIKA FIRTH may not be a name you know, but give it time and the 17-year-old from Barking is almost certain to appear on your fashion radar. The young model owes her exotic looks to her Kenyan, Ugandan, Seychellois, Swiss and British heritage - and owes her new career to her mother, who saw the agents from Premier on television programme The Model Agency.

"When I first saw the photos of Malaika, I thought she looked striking and was really proud as her mother was the first person to call us after the first episode of the show aired, stating that she wanted her daughter to be with us as she liked the family atmosphere behind the agency," Carole White, Premier's founder, told us. "What drew me to Malaika were her almond eyes, caramel-kissed skin tone and unruly locks - perfect for a Gap campaign"

"When Malaika first came into the agency, I was struck by her sweet but exotic looks and delicate bone structure," Annie Wilshaw, director of Premier's new faces division, added. "After working with her in the studio for 20 mins, I was even more confident about her potential as her personality is fantastic. She also has a strong natural sense of how to move in front of the camera, which is rare for potentials her age."

Firth is enjoying every minute of her new job - attending selected castings whilst studying at sixth form college; learning as much as she can in both areas.

"I'm finding it easy to cope right now, because of the summer holidays - which means that I have a lot more time to complete any college work," Firth told us. "When I go to a modelling job or casting my mother is always with me which is great as she gives me a lot of support and encouragement. It's a brilliant experience. I get to find out a lot about modelling because most of the girls I meet at castings have been modelling for two or three years and it's always useful to pick a few tips along the way."

And, when it comes to her model icon and ultimate ambition, Firth already has her sights clearly set.

"I would love to be on the cover of British Vogue," she said. "And my favourite model is definitely Tyra Banks, because she not only is a model but she is also a great businesswoman and actress."

Watch this face.