Bellazon

Ali Landry
Thumbnail

Cantor

• 3 weeks later...

Ali is the host of a new show. Watch here:

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/goddess/spotlig...ity-nannies/194

Spotlight to Nightlight: Celebrity Nannies

Check out Goddess' new video program, "Spotlight to Nightlight," where celebrity moms talk parenting. In the first episode, host Ali Landry talks to E!'s Catt Sadler, tackles the issue of childcare, and gets the scoop on how much nannies to the stars really make from Westside Nannies in Los Angeles!

Ali's Take

Working moms all share a similar struggle: How do we provide care for our little ones when we're at work?I want to start out by saying that I have a live-in nanny named Felicitas. While this is a luxury that may not be an option for everyone, we are so grateful that it is within our budget. She is a family friend and we absolutely adore her. My husband and I are both working parents, and our families live in Louisiana and Mexico. With our very abnormal schedules, taking our daughter Estela to a daycare facility wasn't going to work. We needed to have someone that we were completely comfortable with who was available at a moment's notice. For us, the best choice was to get a live-in nanny.

Having someone -- whether it's a family member, daycare provider, or nanny -- share the responsibilities of raising your child can bring on a lot of emotions, including guilt, and even jealousy for some people. I, too, sometimes get that little twinge of mom guilt, but to be honest, I'm glad our daughter loves our nanny so much and vice versa. I wouldn't have it any other way. I think the bottom line for me is that I know Felicitas loves our child like her own. She makes me feel as though she would do anything to protect her if she had to. I also love that Estela is ALMOST as comfortable with her as she is with me -- ALMOST! :)

post-17383-1237954151_thumb.jpg

Ali Landry and baby Estela adore their nanny, Felicitas.

Cute story ... when Estela was just learning to say "Mama," she would also call our nanny "Mama." Of course, Felicitas would correct her, but I would just laugh and say, "Yes, I am mama and, okay, this is your other mama." That would probably freak out a lot of my friends, but I guess I just finally learned not to sweat the small stuff.

I feel secure knowing that my child only has one mother, and no one will take my place. We have open communication with our nanny and we definitely understand boundaries. There is enough love in our children's hearts to share with everyone in their lives. I am just thankful that we have someone that loves our daughter so much and takes such great care of her. Every mom has different needs and options when it comes to childcare. The big hurdle is finding out what works best for each family.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spotlight to Nightlight: Mompreneurs

Having children not only instills maternal instincts, but business instincts as well. The skills needed to run a family also apply to the business world, including scheduling, budgeting, and management.

Many moms are taking those skills and launching new businesses. This is especially true in Hollywood, where no one is just an actress or just a singer. Aside from the typical clothing, jewelry, and perfume lines, there are some creative ventures headed by entrepreneurial moms -- or mompreneurs -- like bedding collections, kid's furniture, and even baby supply vending machines.

One of the most sucessful mompreneurs is Kathy Ireland. In 1993, the supermodel launched a sock line for Kmart. Over the years, her line has grown to include clothing, jewelry, furniture and books, with annual sales topping $1.5 billion.

While former "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" star Melissa Joan Hart doesnt have mogul aspirations, she does want to be a successful mompreneur. On this episode of "Spotlight to Nightlight," host Ali Landry talks to Melissa about juggling family, a successful entertainment career, and her new sweets shop, SweetHarts.

Ali's Take:

After having a child, you become more empowered, more creative, and more determined to find ways to provide for your family. You're suddenly running a family, so running a business seems like a natural progression. While trying to navigate your way through the mommyworld, you realize there are products missing from the marketplace that would make moms' lives much easier. You become inspired to fill that void yourself. I have all these ideas running through my head, but have yet to figure out how to maintain the balance between being a mom and taking care of my family, working to help support my family, and branching out in a new business venture. I am amazed by all of the women who can.

Like my mother! She is one of the most amazing and inspiring women I know, and a good example of someone who lives a balanced life. She worked hard and had her own business. She also has a successful, loving marriage to my father, raised three happy children, and still cares for her mother and uncle, who are both now in their 90s. To me, she is Superwoman. If I could be half the person she is, I would be extremely proud. But as I try to emulate my mother, everyday is still a challenge. You want to be a great mom, wife, friend and daughter and at the end of the day you still feel that need to bring home a little bacon.

In our interview, Melissa talked about the value of finding a business venture you can involve your family in. That way, you're not always required to be away from them. Melissa and many other mompreneurs out there have got it right. Motherhood brings so much inspiration -- combine that with a good business plan and a supportive family, and you just might be the next successful mompreneur whose must-have product I stock up on.

Speaking of, Melissas new sweets shop SweetHarts is opening in Sherman Oaks, California on May 30. A throwback to the old ice cream and candy shops we used to race to as kids, SweetHarts is a sugary wonderland of self-serve frozen yogurt, gelato, baked goodies, and candy (all your new and nostalgic favorites) -- plus some sugar-free treats, too!

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/goddess/spotlig...mompreneurs/220

Spotlight to Nightlight: Party Time

For Hollywood's littlest celebrities, the cost of a birthday party can easily reach $25,000 or more and parents everywhere are trying to keep up. Suri Cruise's 2nd birthday bash reportedly cost $100,000 thanks to a $45,000 catering bill and a $5,000 cake. Million dollar entertainers like Aerosmith are headlining Bat Mitzvahs and party guests are going home with $1,000 goodie bags! On this episode of "Spotlight to Nightlight," host Ali Landry talks to the Party Goddess, Marley Majcher, about blowout kiddie soirees, and to Dayna Devon, co-host of "Extra," about children's birthday party madness.

Ali's Take:

I am in the middle of trying to plan a party for a soon-to-be 2-year-old. I completely blame myself for the stress that I am feeling. At first, I thought, let's just do something simple ... a cake, a few friends, maybe a ride on a pony (one of my daughter Estela's new obsessions). After all, my second birthday party consisted of my aunts, uncles, and cousins sitting on the porch with a cake, a few presents, and Pin the Tail on the Donkey. I don't really remember it, but everyone in the pictures seemed to be having a pretty good time without all the bells and whistles that are such a big part of today's celebrations.

So now I ask myself, if you don't need much to have a good time, why do I feel so pressured? I have come to the conclusion that because this is my first child, I want to give her the best party I can and make EVERYTHING about the day special. Because I am in the entertainment business, I have access to a lot of wonderful resources and companies that have offered to help make Estela's birthday a special one. When you add that to the mix, it's REALLY hard to stick to my original idea of keeping it simple. I am now trying to find that happy balance.

Everyone is paring down their spending these days, but it's hard to cut back when it's for our kids. There are so many great ideas out there and if you're willing to put in the effort, you can still pull off an amazing shindig without breaking the bank. You just need time, creativity, and resources. One of the things I am doing now (on Dayna's recommendation) is keeping a file of anything I see in a magazine or elsewhere that I think would be great for a party. That way, when it's time to plan, you already have a whole stack of ideas to look at and budget for. Dayna also recommended checking out eBay and the 99 Cent Store for supplies. Looking for a great cake and not into baking? Costco is famous for its delicious (and inexpensive) birthday cakes. Want to send the kids home with a gift but don't have any companies clamoring to sponsor your party? Think of a craft that can be both a fun party activity and also a great take-home gift, like stringing up some beaded jewelry for girls or decorating hard hats for boys. Just try not to let it stress you out. (Easier said than done!)

I can see why parents everywhere are falling into the party madness trap! There's even a national organization, Birthdays Without Pressure, devoted to helping parents and kids find alternatives to the out-of-control parties that are now the norm. I know that Estela is only 2 and doesn't NEED a blowout bash, but there is nothing I want more than to see a huge smile on her face on her birthday. At the end of the day, what really matters is that we surround our daughter with the people who love her and create joyous memories that will last our family a lifetime. If those joyous memories include a few extra blessings that come along with my husband and I being in this business, then I am not going to feel guilty or stressed about it ... I sound stressed, don't I?

Whether you are looking for a true pro to plan your next party or just some great ideas, visit Marley's website: thepartygoddess.com.

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/goddess/spotlig...-party-time/230