Bellazon

Carlo Ancelotti
Thumbnail

madristar

Ancelotti in Chelsea quit threat

Carlo Ancelotti has dropped a bombshell on his future at Chelsea by claiming he will not coach a team that is not in the Champions League.

As the current standings go, the Blues will not qualify for next season's Champions League as they are fifth in the Barclays Premier League.

And if that is the case come the end of the season, Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, who is known for his ruthlessness in the sacking of managers, will almost certainly make Ancelotti his fifth managerial victim in his seven-year reign at Stamford Bridge.

But the Italian, who joined Chelsea from Milan in June 2009 and went on to win the league and FA Cup double in his first season, appeared to have planned his move ahead of the Russian billionaire.

"We know the Premier League is now very tough for us but we want to play in the Champions League next year, it is the most important thing for everyone," Ancelotti was quoted as saying in the Daily Mirror.

"I don't want to train a team that is not in the Champions League as for me it is the best competition in the world. But I am an optimist and I believe my team has the quality [to finish in the top four]."

Asked if he truly cannot stand the thought of managing Chelsea in the Europa League next season, Ancelotti added: "This is why it is important we arrive [in the top four] of the Premier League.

"It will be a fight, there are five teams, maybe six teams with Liverpool, who want this."

Meanwhile, the 51-year-old will be banking his hopes of a top-four finish on £50million signing Fernando Torres, who has so far looked an utter waste of money for the Blues - firing blanks in his first two starts.

But Ancelotti, who dropped Didier Drogba in favour of the Spaniard during their latest goalless draw at Fulham, has hinted on playing both of them up front in the near future.

"He [Torres] is a striker like Didier but it is not right to say they are in competition, they are in collaboration," said Ancelotti. "They have to work together to help bring the team in the best position."

Torres however, is cup-tied for Chelsea's FA Cup fourth-round tie with Everton at Stamford Bridge on Saturday, having played for Liverpool in the third-round.

Ancelotti denies any Chelsea pressure

Carlo Ancelotti insists Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur's UEFA Champions League wins have not put any pressure on Chelsea.

The Blues travel to Denmark having been handed arguably the easiest possible draw for the knockout stage, with their opponents rookies at this stage of the competition.

That was in stark contrast to Arsenal and Spurs, who were dealt the toughest of fixtures in Barcelona and AC Milan, respectively.

However, the north London rivals both produced stunning victories to give them real hope of progressing to the quarter-finals.

Tuesday night sees the spotlight fall on Chelsea, who began another season as one of the favourites for the Champions League and will be fully expected to reach the last eight.

Asked if there was extra pressure on his side in the wake of Tottenham and Arsenal's exploits, Blues boss Ancelotti said: "Not extra pressure but we know Copenhagen very well.

"They are a good team, with fantastic organisation, a dynamic team, they use a lot of speed.

"It's important to know this to prepare well for the game, and to have courage to play."

He added: "Tottenham and Arsenal played a fantastic game.

"They reached a fantastic result against Barcelona, against Milan.

"The Champions League is difficult to play and every team has an opportunity to win and to do the best."

The biggest pressure on Ancelotti and his players will arguably come from billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, who has targeted the Champions League ever since taking over the club.

No team has repeatedly gone closer to doing so than Chelsea in the past seven seasons without actually lifting the European Cup, with the Blues having reached five semi-finals and one final.

Abramovich was thought to have been furious when they crashed out to eventual winners Inter Milan in the last 16 a year ago, so it remains to be seen how the Russian would react to another early exit at the hands of the competition's minnows.

The Champions League has also taken on extra significance for Chelsea as a result of their faltering Barclays Premier League title defence, which is widely considered to be over.

They are now in a race to claim a top-four spot, something unprecedented during the Abramovich era.

Finishing fifth will not be a problem if Chelsea finally end their Champions League hoodoo, but they will have to play a lot better than in recent months to pull off that feat.

Even getting past Copenhagen could prove far more difficult than many fans envisage.

The Danish champions are unbeaten at home in the Champions League, including in games against Manchester United and - this season - Barcelona.

They also have a little inside knowledge of Chelsea, with former Stamford Bridge winger Jesper Gronkjaer in their ranks.

With David Luiz cup-tied, Ancelotti must decide whether to field Paulo Ferreira, Jose Bosingwa or Branislav Ivanovic at right-back up against Gronkjaer.

The dilemma over whether to play Fernando Torres, Didier Drogba or both also returns, with the former back in the squad after being cup-tied for this afternoon's FA Cup fourth-round replay against Everton.

Torres has flopped in two games since his £50million move from Liverpool, failing to find the net once.

But Ancelotti was relaxed about his misfiring record signing.

"I've never asked my strikers to score," the Italian said.

"I didn't ask last year Didier to score goals.

"If I said to him last year to score, maybe he could score 80 goals, not 40!"

Ancelotti: Gattuso is a good man

Carlo Ancelotti has defended Gennaro Gattuso following the AC Milan midfielder's headbutt on Tottenham coach Joe Jordan.

Gattuso faces disciplinary action from UEFA, which could result in a lengthy ban, for his altercation with Jordan at the end of Milan's 1-0 Champions League defeat to Spurs on Tuesday night.

Ancelotti, who managed Gattuso for eight years at the San Siro during which time the club won two European Cups, acknowledged his fellow Italian had made a mistake.

But the Chelsea manager also insisted the attack on Jordan was completely out of character.

"I was obviously not happy because Gattuso is a very generous player, is a very good man," Ancelotti said.

"He made a mistake. I'm very disappointed with this.

"Also, he was very disappointed after the game. He said sorry and full stop.

"He's played 100 games in the Champions League and he never had problems.

"I have seen him always correct.

"He made a mistake, he said sorry and now UEFA obviously will take a decision.

"To judge Gattuso as a man because he made a mistake is not good.

"I can say it because I know him very well."

UEFA's control and disciplinary body will discuss the case against 33-year-old Gattuso on Monday.

Chelsea 1-1 Everton (3-4 pen.)

Everton dumped holders Chelsea out of the FA Cup in sensational fashion after winning a dramatic penalty shootout.

Phil Neville scored the winning spot-kick after Nicolas Anelka and Ashley Cole both missed for the Blues, whose quest for a historic hat-trick of cup wins lay in tatters.

Chelsea wasted a hatful of chances to win the fourth-round replay in normal time and Frank Lampard finally gave them a 104th-minute lead but Leighton Baines levelled in the 119th minute with a brilliant free-kick.

The full-back missed Everton's first penalty in the shootout but it did not matter as the Toffees set up a last-16 tie with Reading.

Chelsea, who had not scored in their previous two games, were fortunate still to be in the competition after Kalou netted a late equaliser in last month's original tie.

They had not beaten Everton since the 2009 final and had won only one of their previous six home meetings with the Toffees.

With visiting boss David Moyes having branded Sunday's defeat at Bolton one of the worst performances of his near nine-year reign, the Merseysiders also had a point to prove.

The same could be said for Didier Drogba, who was controversially axed in favour of Fernando Torres for Monday night's goalless draw at Fulham.

But the Ivorian looked far from sharp early on and needed several minutes of touchline treatment after an innocuous Phil Jagielka challenge in the 14th minute.

Chelsea should have taken a 20th-minute lead when the post saved Jagielka from glancing in an own goal from Frank Lampard's free-kick and John Terry skied the close-range rebound.

Blocks from Sylvain Distin and Howard then prevented Lampard and Florent Malouda putting the home side ahead after excellent work from the recalled Salomon Kalou down the right.

Drogba then held off Jagielka and produced a brilliant through-ball for Malouda, whose clipped finish was saved by the feet of Howard.

Malouda picked up the game's first yellow card for clattering into Seamus Coleman and Ramires followed in controversial fashion on the stroke of half-time after being adjudged to have dived in the box under a challenge from Howard, when there appeared to have been at least some contact.

Ancelotti withdrew John Obi Mikel for the axed Michael Essien during the interval.

Baines and Coleman were booked for fouls on Ramires and Branislav Ivanovic before bad marking saw Lampard send a free header off target from Drogba's free-kick.

The recalled Leon Osman almost made him pay by glancing a Baines free-kick too close to Petr Cech before Distin was carded for scything down Ivanovic and Chelsea missed two gilt-edged chances to break the deadlock 25 minutes from time.

Lampard made a hash of a close-range finish from Ramires' cross, allowing Howard to block, with Ivanovic then seeing another point-blank effort thwarted by men on the line.

Ramires' grasscutter drifted wide before Diniyar Bilyaletdinov replaced Tim Cahill for the final 20 minutes.

Buoyed by Chelsea's wastefulness, Everton went close themselves when a good move ended with Coleman heading too close to Cech.

The hosts became increasingly desperate and Lampard flashed wide from 25 yards before Everton withdrew the disppointing Beckford for Victor Anichebe.

The substitute immediately went close to connecting with Bilyaletdinov's cross but Chelsea missed their latest golden chance when Lampard chipped over the bar from Malouda's lay-off.

With just a minute remaining, Marouane Fellaini thought he had dumped the holders out when he netted after Baines' right-foot strike had been fumbled by Cech, but the midfielder had already been flagged offside.

Chelsea finally threw on Anelka at the start of extra-time, Malouda making way, with Everton soon following by introducing John Heitinga for Osman.

Drogba chipped just over and Lampard screwed a low left-footer wide before finally putting the home side ahead thanks to great work from Anelka.

The substitute got himself free down the right and his cross was miscontrolled by Drogba but fell perfectly for Lampard to rifle home from 10 yards.

Chelsea withdrew Kalou for the final 10 minutes, with Yury Zhirkov making his first appearance for more than three months.

Mikel Arteta was carded for felling Essien as Everton tried to level and they did so with seconds remaining thanks to a brilliant Baines free-kick.

Ivanovic fouled Jagielka 25 yards out and Baines stepped up to curl a wondeful strike into the top corner.

Howard spilt Essien's 25-yarder in stoppage-time but regathered to take the tie to penalties.

Chelsea had lost six of their previous seven shootouts but held an immediate advantage when Cech saved from Baines after Lampard had scored.

However, Anelka foolishly tried to chip Howard with the hosts' third penalty and it stayed level until Ashley Cole ballooned over the bar with their fifth.

Everton captain Neville stepped up and found the top corner to seal an amazing win.

Torres and Drogba are not enemies"

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti insists Fernando Torres and Didier Drogba are not rivals but "collaborators".

The record-breaking signing of Torres was seen by some as a signal Drogba's days at Stamford Bridge were numbered - a view that gained momentum after the latter was dropped for Monday night's Barclays Premier League game at Fulham.

Drogba returns to the side for this afternoon's FA Cup fourth-round replay with Everton, with Torres cup-tied, meaning Ancelotti has more time to ponder whether the partnership that failed to click during the latter's debut two weeks ago should be resurrected.

The Chelsea boss looks set to do just that after claiming the pair can form a lethal strikeforce for years to come.

"I think so because I want to say that Didier in my opinion is not old," Ancelotti said.

"He didn't have in his career a lot of injuries.

"He has a good motivation and he wants to be at the top.

"In this season, he had some problems because he had malaria and for two and a half months. He was not in good condition.

"He has time to be important for us in all the games."

He added of the Torres-Drogba dynamic: "It is not right to say they are in competition. They are in collaboration.

"They have to work together to help the team, to try to do the best.

"Collaboration has to be in the squad, not competition."

Chelsea cannot afford Torres' £50million signing to be a disruption, with the Barclays Premier League title all but surrendered and a top-four place by no means certain.

Vice-captain Frank Lampard this week claimed failure to qualify for next season's Champions League would be "a disaster".

Ancelotti said: "For everyone, not just the club, to play the Champions League is the most important thing.

"I would like to train a team in the Champions League because the Champions League I think is the best competition in the world."

Ancelotti does not feel the same way about the Europa League.

"For this reason, it's good to arrive in the first four places of the Premier League," he joked.

"It will be a fight between six teams because maybe Liverpool has a dream to reach fourth place."

Chelsea are currently fifth, two points behind Tottenham.

And they could find themselves eight adrift by the time they next play in the league as a result of a couple of potential postponements.

Ancelotti said: "I'm not worried. I'm an optimist because I believe my team has the quality, has the ability."

Winning the Champions League would, of course, be another way to qualify.

That would involve reaching a Wembley final which could be one of the most expensive in history, with UEFA controversially selling tickets for up to £300.

Ancelotti said: "It's too much.

"With £300, I can have a fantastic dinner, a fantastic bottle of wine."

"Don't blame Torres for Blues slump"

Carlo Ancelotti insisted Chelsea's signing of Fernando Torres was not to blame for the end of their mini-revival.

The champions appeared to have put their worst run in the league for almost 15 years behind them at the start of 2011, winning three games in a row to climb back into the Champions League spots and spark suggestions they could make a late comeback in the title race.

But the capture of £50million man Torres has co-incided with a winless - and scoreless - two matches that has all but killed off the Blues' hopes of retaining their crown and has seen them slip back to fifth in the table.

Torres flopped on his debut against former club Liverpool and was arguably even worse at Fulham on Monday night.

But Ancelotti was adamant that the Spain striker's arrival had not been disruptive, saying: "It is not the fault of Fernando, obviously.

"I think that he needs to have time.

"In my opinion, he played well for 60 minutes against Fulham. He had two or three opportunities.

"He didn't score but he will score, obviously."

With only 12 league games remaining for Chelsea to overhaul Tottenham or Manchester City and with both remaining cup competitions purely knockout affairs, is is questionable how much time Torres can be afforded.

"He needs to have time, but playing, to improve his combination with the other players," Ancelotti said.

"It will take time playing with us."

Torres will miss out on that time when Chelsea host Everton in their FA Cup fourth-round replay as the Spaniard is cup-tied.

Drogba will instead return to lead the line and will have a point to prove after being axed at Craven Cottage.

Ancelotti said: "Didier had a very good reaction during the week, he trained well without problem, with motivation.

"He wants to play a good game tomorrow."

Insisting Drogba was not a special case, he added: "For me, every player is important, is big.

"Maybe there isn't a player as Drogba, who's scored 40 goals.

"(Paulo) Ferreira didn't score 40 goals last year.

"But, for me, it is very difficult to leave him out because he is a professional, he worked hard every day."

Tomorrow's cup tie and Tuesday night's Champions League last-16 first leg at FC Copenhagen could provide a welcome distraction for Chelsea from their league travails.

But the possible postponement of two of their games means they could find themselves eight points behind Tottenham and 10 behind City by the time they next play in the league.

Ancelotti was unconcerned, saying: "At the end, they will play 38 games and we have to play 38 games.

"We want to work to arrive quickly in the first four places."

Frank Lampard admitted yesterday it would be a "disaster" if Chelsea finished outside the top four.

His manager was less dramatic, saying: "The table in the Premier League is not good but we have the possibility to improve."

Ancelotti claimed he would not rest players with Tuesday's game in mind and he may be boosted by the return of Yury Zhirkov, who is back in the squad after missing the last three months with a calf problem.

Yossi Benayoun is also running again and is expected back before the end of the season.

The Israeli will hope to play a part in what could be a historic FA Cup hat-trick for Chelsea.

Having won every tie since his arrival in England a year and a half ago, Ancelotti was understandably not keen on the proposed changes to the competition's format, which include seedings, midweek matches and the scrapping of replays.

He said: "I don't like. I like this competition, I like how it is, because I think that it's exciting to play, to have a place where there is a draw.

"To put the game during the week, it's possible that it could lose the importance of the competition."

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea wary of Blackpool threat

Carlo Ancelotti has warned his Chelsea side they take Blackpool lightly at their peril.

The Blues will return to action on Monday night still on a high after Tuesday's 2-1 victory over United, which kept alive their paper-thin hopes of retaining their Barclays Premier League title.

There could hardly be a greater contrast than that between a top-of-the-table clash with their perennial championship arch-rivals and a distinctly unglamorous trip to Bloomfield Road.

But Chelsea boss Ancelotti is all too aware of Blackpool's record of springing surprises during their maiden Premier League season and is taking nothing for granted, with his own side's horrendous inconsistency having already seen them lose at the likes of Wolves and Birmingham.

"It's an important game, a difficult game because Blackpool have had fantastic performances at home," said Ancelotti.

"They beat Tottenham in their last home game, and were 2-0 up against United.

"It's a team who like to play football with intensity and a good pace, attacking football.

"It will not be an easy game, but our moment's good now. We want to maintain continuity in the results."

Having been installed as firm favourites to finish bottom of the table upon winning last season's play-offs, Blackpool have proceeded to take the Premier League by storm.

Their colourful manager, Ian Holloway, has also stamped his personality on the top flight with his forthright and often entertaining interviews.

"He's an honest man," said Ancelotti.

"I've met him just once, when we played at home. I can look at his team and say he's a good manager.

"This team has a philosophy to play. They are playing good football, they try to play football, so I think he's a good manager."

While Ancelotti has been able to splash out almost £100million since last summer on the likes of Fernando Torres, David Luiz, Ramires and Yossi Benayoun, Holloway has operated on a shoestring budget.

"Obviously, when you have the money you can have important players, top players," Ancelotti said.

"But the difference in football is teamwork. If you are able to reach teamwork levels with fantastic players, you can win the most important titles in the world.

"The most important thing is to have that teamwork."

Teamwork, on and off the field, is precisely what Chelsea need if they are to stand any chance of staging a sensational comeback in the title race.

Having lost his place in the side following Torres' £50million arrival, Didier Drogba has so far dutifully played his part as an impact substitute.

It remains to be seen whether he did enough against United to be recalled on Monday.

Ancelotti said: "Didier is focused on this season, having fantastic behaviour and training very well. He wants to play, obviously."

The Chelsea boss was expecting to learn whether new star David Luiz would be fit enough to keep his place at the heart of defence after straining his hamstring against United.

"Until now, he's not been able to train," said Ancelotti, who also lost midfielder John Obi Mikel to a knee problem during the warm-up on Tuesday.

"He (Mikel) had a scan, but everything was okay. I hope, also, that he can train."

Long-term injury victims Yossi Benayoun and Alex are close to returning, with both expected back at the beginning of next month.

Ancelotti said: "Benayoun is starting to train outside on the grass, alone, in individual sessions.

"Alex will come back next week and, after that, I think we will check him and take a decision on him then.

"He's very close to recovery."

Ancelotti: Luiz must calm down

Carlo Ancelotti admits David Luiz must learn to calm down after escaping being sent off in Chelsea's win against Manchester United.

The new £25million signing was lucky to avoid a second yellow card for a cynical foul on Wayne Rooney during Tuesday night's controversial game at Stamford Bridge.

The 23-year-old's aggressive approach marred what was otherwise another virtuoso display from the Brazil defender, who had scored a stunning equaliser minutes earlier.

Manager Ancelotti acknowledges Luiz needs to improve his discipline if he is not to become more of a liability than an asset.

"He has to know English football," Ancelotti said.

"He has to be more calm on the pitch.

"Obviously, he's showed fantastic ability and quality.

"He has to improve, but he will because he'll have more experience and knowledge about English football. He can change his behaviour on the pitch."

Luiz's all-action performances have made him an instant hit with the Chelsea fans and Ancelotti believes there is even more to come from the gifted centre-back.

"He's showing fantastic ability offensively, obviously," said the Italian, who has worked with some of the great defenders of the modern age, including the legendary Paolo Maldini.

"He's able to pass the ball and move in front without problems. He's able to shoot at goal.

"Defensively, he can improve."

Referee Martin Atkinson's failure to punish Luiz for his foul on Rooney sparked a furious response from Sir Alex Ferguson.

The United boss had not calmed down by the time he conducted a post-match interview, in which he appeared to question Atkinson's integrity.

Ferguson's outburst saw him charged with improper conduct by the Football Association on Thursday, a charge he yesterday denied.

Ancelotti refused to condemn the Scot's reaction, saying: "After the game, you have emotion about the game so, sometimes, you speak about decisions. This is normal, I think."

He added: "We spoke after the game and he was disappointed at the referee's decision, but this is football.

"Sometimes one coach is happy and the other is unhappy after a match with a referee's decision."

Chelsea's victory dented United's title push, denying them the chance to extend their four-point lead over second-placed Arsenal.

It also saw their opponents move to within 12 points of Ferguson's men with a game in hand, keeping alive the Blues' paper-thin hopes of retaining the championship.

Asked if Ferguson's outburst showed he was feeling the pressure, Ancelotti joked: "If Ferguson is under pressure in the title race, what kind of pressure must I be under?"

One man definitely under pressure is Chelsea's £50million striker Fernando Torres, who has admitted he must start scoring for his new club ahead of Monday's trip to Blackpool.

"I know I'm here to score goals," Torres, who has yet to find the net, told Chelsea TV.

"It's the job of the striker, so hopefully I can score the first and I'm sure it will be the first of many."

Ancelotti: Fergie meltdown was normal

Carlo Ancelotti refused to condemn Sir Alex Ferguson's outburst towards referee Martin Atkinson.

Ferguson was charged with improper conduct by the Football Association for his outspoken post-match attack on Atkinson following United's 2-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday.

The Scot, who Press Association Sport understands has decided to appeal the charge, appeared to question the official's integrity when he said "in matches like this, you want a fair referee" during an interview with his club's in-house television station, MUTV.

Chelsea boss Ancelotti described Ferguson's reaction as "normal", saying: "After the game, you have emotion about the game so, sometimes, you speak about decisions. This is normal, I think."

He added: "He had an argument against the referee. But I don't want to comment on this.

"I have a fantastic relationship with Sir Alex.

"We spoke after the game and he was disappointed at the referee's decision, but this is football.

"Sometimes one coach is happy and the other is unhappy after a match with a referee's decision."

Much of Ferguson's ire was sparked by Atkinson's decision not to send off David Luiz for an obvious second bookable offence when the defender cynically fouled Wayne Rooney.

Luiz's overly-aggressive approach marred what was otherwise another virtuoso display by the £25million signing from Benfica.

The 23-year-old's stunning volley brought Chelsea level at Stamford Bridge as he showed the full range of his skills, but also the darker side of his game.

Ancelotti said: "He has to know English football. He has to be more calm on the pitch.

"Obviously he's showed fantastic ability and quality.

"He has to improve, but he will because he'll have more experience and knowledge about English football. He can change his behaviour on the pitch."

Luiz's performances have made him an instant hero among Chelsea fans and Ancelotti believes there is even more to come from the outrageously-gifted Brazilian.

"He's showing fantastic ability offensively, obviously," he said.

"He's able to pass the ball and move in front without problems. He's able to shoot at goal.

"Defensively, he can improve. He can be better defensively."

Chelsea's victory dented United's title push, denying them the chance to extend their four-point lead over second-placed Arsenal.

It also saw their opponents move to within 12 points of Ferguson's men with a game in hand, keeping alive the Blues' paper-thin hopes of retaining the championship.

Asked if Ferguson's outburst showed he was feeling the pressure, Ancelotti joked: "If Ferguson is under pressure in the title race, what kind of pressure must I be under?"

With United facing a daunting trip to Liverpool on Sunday and Chelsea travelling to Blackpool the following evening, this weekend could well and truly revive the latter's title push.

"It's difficult to believe," Ancelotti said.

"The title is in United's hands again.

"If they lose some games, we can have possibilities.

"But now, at this moment, we can't think about this."

For Chelsea to entertain any thought of retaining the title, they cannot simply rely on United and Arsenal to go into meltdown.

They must also finally conquer the inconsistency that has dogged them all season.

Luiz has certainly played his part in trying to ensure that but £50million man Fernando Torres will also need to step up in terms of finally finding the net.

Ancelotti said: "Everyone here in Cobham isn't afraid or worried because he hasn't scored. Everyone is looking at his performances.

"It's important for the strikers to score.

"I'm asking him to have good movement for the team and to have combinations with the other strikers. He's doing very well.

"The performances of Luiz and Torres in the last games were really good."

Blackpool vs Chelsea Preview

Carlo Ancelotti is optimistic David Luiz and John Obi Mikel will be fit for Chelsea's game at Blackpool.

Luiz has not trained since Tuesday's win over Manchester United after straining a hamstring, while Mikel hurt his knee during the warm-up for that game.

Alex (knee) and Yossi Benayoun (Achilles) are both closing in on their returns from long-term injuries.

Blackpool will be without their top-scorer DJ Campbell and captain Charlie Adam.

Campbell begins a three-match suspension after he was sent off in the 4-0 defeat at Wolves last Saturday, while Adam serves the second of his two-game ban for picking up 10 yellow cards this season.

Stephen Crainey, who has not made a first-team appearance since January 22 due to an ankle injury, is in line to return in defence and midfielder Elliot Grandin, absent for the last two games with a hamstring problem, has an outside chance of being involved.

However, the match will come too soon for Gary Taylor-Fletcher (hamstring) and Matt Gilks (knee).

Holloway laughs off Chelsea crisis

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway has dismissed the suggestion that Chelsea have been going through a crisis this season

The Premier League champions have struggled for consistency this term and with 11 fixtures to go, find themselves locked in a battle to secure a top-four finish.

As far as Holloway is concerned, though, the Blues have always been in good shape under Abramovich - who bought Chelsea in 2003 - and will continue to be as long as the Russian billionaire is in charge.

"I think they were in a crisis a few years ago - and then they were sold and I don't think they have ever been in a crisis since," Holloway said.

"They have gone on, spent money wisely and got trophies.

"They have dispatched of a few managers pretty quickly, probably too quickly.

"But I think they are in fine fettle and although they had a sticky spell, I think they always will be now if you look at the ground and Mr Abramovich's money."

Abramovich flexed his financial muscle in January as Chelsea smashed the British transfer record by signing Fernando Torres from Liverpool for £50million, although going into Monday's clash with Blackpool at Bloomfield Road, the Spain striker is yet to score in four games for his new club.

Holloway has questioned the extravagant fee paid out for Torres but sees it as further evidence that times are not really so tough for the London outfit.

"He's just bought someone for £50million," Holloway said.

"Do I agree with that? Probably no.

"But can I argue with it? No - he has, and he can do that.

"That is this game at the moment, so good luck to them. They are certainly not in crisis."

Blackpool pulled off an impressive 3-1 victory over Tottenham - Chelsea's rivals for a Champions League berth - in their last home game and will be looking for more of the same on Monday evening as they continue in their fight to beat the drop.

They are currently four points clear of the relegation zone having suffered a setback on Saturday, going down 4-0 at Wolves.

DJ Campbell, the Seasiders' leading scorer, was sent off in that match so will be suspended for the Chelsea fixture plus the two that follow, and Holloway will also be without club captain Charlie Adam, who serves the second of his two-game ban for picking up 10 yellow cards this season.

Defender Stephen Crainey, who has not made a first-team appearance since January 22 due to an ankle injury, is in line to return against the Blues and midfielder Elliot Grandin, absent for the last two games with a hamstring problem, has an outside chance of being involved.

However, the match will come too soon for Gary Taylor-Fletcher (hamstring) and Matt Gilks (knee).