Bellazon

Heidi Klum

Guest MissIsabella

Translation of an article from IN Das Magazine with thanks to Yellowstar for helping out:

Heidi About Her Husband Seal, the Children and Her Plans for the Future

She swims professionally and privately in the Well of Good Fortune - and always helps other people who don't have it so good. In "IN" she speaks about her motives.

"Heidi, here! Look over here! Seal, turn around once please! And now kiss!" Berlin, 27 September, 11:00. Paparazzi alarm in the capital. At the VW Center under the linden trees, a deafening noise prevails. Everyone wants to get the ultimate picture of the German show-models. She is finally once again in Germany and now even together with her husband Seal (44). Heidi (34) with open hair in a gray business dress. She radiates a charming smile like always. To the crowd, to the photographers and again to her man. While various TV crews record their statements for the joint advertisement between the couple and VW, Heidi's and Seal's hands remain together behind the back. The two radiate pure good fortune, and seek to permanently remain close together. There is also plenty of kissing for the photographers. In these moments, one believes they have completely forgotten the world around them.

When Heidi and Seal leave the room after the presentation of the new VW Tiguan, the photographers stay behind the glamour couple. Heidi and Seal drive away first in the car with the tinted windows, leaving the nightmare behind. At 4:00 PM, they meet again. This time at the Hotel de Rome.

Young girls are waiting for the couple at the hotel, their cell phone cameras all ready to attack. For Seal, far and wide, there is nothing to see. But Heidi must work. Here she introduces her self-designed jewelry that will be sold by Douglas stores throughout Germany in the middle of October. This time she wears the little black dress, her hair done up by stylist Helena into a loose pony tail, make up artist Linda conjured up a natural freshness to her face. Heidi's friends accompany her on her German tour. And they have enormous things to do. Hardly done with the PR appointments, they both must be ready again. For the top model didn't come to Germany just for her business. At the heart of her trip is her two charity appointments. For, what many do not know, Heidi engages herself in many charitable activities.

8 o'clock, Schlüterhof, German Historical Museum in Berlin. Heidi inspires with a costly high-line hairstyle and dream gown by Elie Saab. Again beautifully radiant, again in the best mood. And again hand in hand with her husband Seal. This is the entrance to Heidi's biggest event: Dreamball 2007, a benefit for DKMS [not sure what this stands for].

When Seal sings into the late hours for the good cause, the mood [of the event] is at it's highest point. Also for his wife. The clapping invigorates [the crowd] and there is boisterous dancing to Seal's hit "Kiss From A Rose". Although Heidi has been busy for many hours, she does not look at all stressed. She does what she does with enthusiasm.

Friday morning. Heidi flies from Berlin to Munich and Seal flies back to Los Angeles. Leni, Henry and Johan are waiting. Mama, however, extends her trip until Sunday. For one of her most important appointments is still on her program: the TV star is to visit the Ronald McDonald House in Munich (see pages 18/19). The children are the most important. Heidi is there to lend a hand to the smallest above all else. They are totally enthusiastic to see the nice aunt with the beautiful blond hair. The four year old Lena is the most fortunate among them, for Heidi plays abundantly with her.

Heidi is stirred when she hears of her case history: during the pregnancy it was known that the baby only had half of a heart. Lena was operated on five days after the birth. The chance of her survival was 30%. Three operations followed. For the first four years of her life, Lena spent one and a half years in the hospital. Today she leads an almost normal life, her health problems you would never know. To look after such kids and to bring a little laughter to the Ronald McDonald House was Heidi's most beautiful experience in Germany. She tells us her inspiration in an exclusive "IN"terview... [since it's "IN Das Magazine", get it?]

People in Germany know you as the commercial face of McDonald's. How long have you been involved in their charity?

For three years. I am the patroness of the biggest event that always takes place at the end of the year. That is where most of the money is collected that flows into the Ronald McDonald Houses. I also did photos with Kai Pflaume for the action "McDonald's Helping Hands" where, for this campaign, between November 1st and 14th 2007, customers can purchase hands for 1 Euro that will hang in the windows of the restaurant. In addition, we collect about 1 million Euros annually from the contribution boxes [at each McDonald's]. From this we have been able to expand the Ronald McDonald's Houses. This allows parents the ability to live closer to their sick children.

Since you now have children, this auxiliary action must lie especially close to your heart...

Yes, that's why I gladly help and speak about it. When someone is in the public eye, they can bring more and perhaps my presence will bring in more people, or a small number of people will listen to what goes on here, and the word will spread. Many families can be helped through this charity. If I can help, I will glady take the time to do so. I make many other things that people generally get. I do not hang it on the large bell when I take pictures for charity purposes or donate special dresses that I wore for events. Sometimes I paint cups and other small things. For schools and kindergartens. Or I give the money I make from other jobs, like my Wonderland song. There the total amount in sales went to the Bethanien Kinderdorf in Bergisch Gladbach.

From your viewpoint, what is the most important part of the Ronald McDonald House?

I believe it is because people encounter others with a similar fate. When someone has something like this happen to them, they think that everything collapses on them and they feel alone in the world. When one encounters similar people in such a house, even if they are by themselves, they don't feel so alone.

How does that work?

Here they have a joint kitchen, an eating and living room where they can meet. They can cook together, converse with each other. Exchange experiences. I believe that is very important. The mother of Lena also just confirmed to me that it is very important to exchange views with others in this situation. To know that other mothers also have large anxiety over their sick children.

Do you think you can feel what they are going through?

Yes, I also have big worries if my children come down with a cold and they go around feeling bad. Then I also open my bed to them in my room so they could sleep there and I would view them again and again to see if their fever climbs and if I must make them Wadenwickel [not sure what this is].

You were also at the Dreamball on Thursday. What is especially moving for you to attend these charity events?

I will not say that people forget illnesses. If you are all around healthy, it is brought to your attention how fortunate you are at an event like this. A woman approached me who had cancer and had to undergo chemotherapy. I think about how we women always put on our make-up and do up our hair for and work on our beauty presentations. And when one can no longer have these things, how heavy is that? When the young girl described how suddenly she became ill and what she had to endure during the chemotherapy, I had to swallow a couple of times heavily. And here also - I have become acquainted with this young family, the mother of Lena was 16 when she became pregnant. In the eighth month, the doctor said that the baby would have a mistake in her heart. Immediately after the birth she had to be operated on. That is an entirely different life, where one has entirely different worries.

On the same day you also still had two large promotional appointments. How do you manage to appear in such programs always at the top and to smile relaxed?

That was a long day, but it doesn't seem so strenuous to me now. I don't find photo appointments to be troublesome.

TV-show host, designer and model. Where do your focal points lie now - and perhaps in five to ten years?

My focal point is my family, therefore I only go away for small amounts and remain at home as much as possible. I try to only set up appointments in the vicinity so I can make it home for the evenings. I'm like other employed mothers. I don't work every day, so I have plenty of time for my family.

And what about times where you are away for much longer?

I am not really. That I am separated from my children for a week is already a rarity. If I am in Germany for five weeks for "Germany's Next Top Model" or in New York for four weeks for "Project Runway", they all fly with me. Otherwise, I'm always in L.A. with our children. Also I am super lucky that my mother and father help us. Otherwise, I don't think I could do one job or the other.

Leni is in kindergarten already...

That is a kind of nursery school that really isn't very playful. The nursery school is of the Montessori style [which means it teaches children to be self-motivated learners]. The children are not allowed to spend the entire day running around in a mess, but must fall into line when asked. There they try to teach them a little discipline. They must at certain times comply [with directives], such as when eating, for example. They practice table manners. It is more structured than many other nursery schools. But nevertheless, the children learn at their own pace. There is no competition, grades or high expectations for reading and writing with three-year-olds. We had a long search for the right nursery school.

Many mothers shed a few "Tränchen" [not sure what this is] when they are first separated from their children after dropping them off at school the first time. Was it like that for you?

For me it wasn't that difficult. But my husband spilled a few tears. A new chapter begins for our daughter as it does for us parents. Our children have it differently than I or my husband had it when we were growing up. With me, there were many children in the neighborhood to meet in the street or play with in the garden. Here in Los Angeles, it is somewhat different. We have no neighbors [for them to play with] so it is great that they can make more friendships in school. My husband was given up for adoption as a baby and then was returned to his mother again after the first four years.

You were meant to be a show-mother. How important are values and good upbringing to you?

Very important. We catch them already with "please" and "thank you", with table manners and so on. We make sure they say it now so they will say it when we are not around. They also eat beautifully with a knife and fork - even Henry, who is two, eats his soup beautifully with the spoon or spins the noodles onto the fork. We give him a lot of respect for that. One must also be more severe at times, always repeating like a broken record, "Use the fork, use the fork, not your hands..." One must also go through the trouble of saying "please" and "thank you". Or when ordering something in a restaurant to make sure they also say "please". When one always repeats it, then it comes to them by themselves. It is so great when when they say it on their own.

Princess Leni, Henry the Charmer, Johan the Soft?

Yes, well.. (laughs) it is not so simple to get our daughter into a pair of pants. She always loves to wear pink. Red dresses are OK, but I need not bother giving her something green or yellow. Strangely, that is not at all how I am. I rarely wear pink, and usually prefer pants. One can only think: Wow, she is becoming her own person with her own style. Our son Henry, on the other hand, is a total musician. As soon as he hears music, he begins to drum and dance immediately to it. There are also times when he even takes the microphone and sings along with...

Just like Papa?

Exactly, so even they are all different [from each other].

When one sees you and Seal, they notice immediately: the good fortune is pure. How does one create and preserve such good fortune? Through your job, you don't see yourselves as a regular family.

People always say that, but we see ourselves as regular, even if we are not a "normal" family. I know the classic family life of when I lived with my parents does not exist anymore. When I was 18, I was removed from it. In another two years, when I am 36, I will have lived half of my life elsewhere. I am nearly always drifting through the world alone.

Would you then like to return to Germany sometime with the whole family?

Perhaps in a few years...

Angelina Jolie says that she finds Brad Pitt the sexiest when he plays with the children. Would you also say that about Seal?

Whether that's when he is the sexiest, I don't know. But I chose him as my husband and he chose me as his wife because we both wanted a family life. I won't say when he is at his sexiest, when he plays with the little ones, perhaps I better not say (smiles mischievously).

That he is a passionate father is proven by the fact that he always thinks of them while traveling. On his last Germany tour he gave Leni a dress with...

Yes, yes, he was not allowed to come home without that dress. He had already promised it. That would have been a huge annoyance for him. Leni asked him every day on the phone, "Papa, did you get my dress, did you get my dress?" Of course she would remember that.

And when he came home?

She said, "Papa, you are here!? Unpack your suitcase at once!" Oh, right - and then the suitcase wasn't there! He had just bought a new suitcase. At home Seal wanted to open it and he turned the number lock - and the suitcase wouldn't open. Then Seal suddenly noticed, "This isn't my suitcase!" It wasn't the right suitcase - and the dress was in the other. We called the airline right away and Seal was able to get his suitcase. And Leni got her dress!

We know you are a big fan of Halloween. What will your costume be this year?

That cannot be revealed yet - but it is constructed especially...

Constructed?

Yes, it took a little longer last time with the apple costume, which took a month to make. This time it isn't so complicated. I learned from that. It was so big, I couldn't even fit in the car. I had to rent a convertible because I couldn't fit through the door. I had to climb over the side and I was hardly able to sit. I was already nine months pregnant; it was only a week or so before I gave birth to Johan. Because of the costume, I couldn't sit and I couldn't eat or drink because everything was so far away from me. It was so loud. After four hours in the apple, I was happy to go home. This time it is less complicated.

After your Christmas song for Douglas last year and your duet "Wedding Day" on Seal's new CD, should the singing remain a unique thing? Or will there be a few more Heidi Klum songs?

Yes, well, I'll let you be surprised...

You at one time wanted to study fashion design. Will there soon be a Heidi Klum fashion line?

It can be revealed that one will soon come out. I do it gladly. If I hadn't flown into a modeling career, I for sure would have gone that way. And flown really is the correct word. I signed up for Thomas Gottschalk as a lark - and then it just worked out and I thought, I'll try this for once. Otherwise, I would have gone to fashion design school. So I always enjoyed it.

At the end of January the third season of "Germany's Next Top Model" begins. Will it be in Los Angeles more this time?

No, I think it is about the same. We would like to have more time, however. We normally began with 100 girls, but this time maybe we advertised more. Last time we held castings for 100 girls a day. That was already a lot.

Do you actually see all the applications?

They first go to the IMG Agency. They also go out looking for girls. For example at shopping centers. That was where Barbara Meier was found. She didn't apply herself, but rather was shopping where we had a casting. That was where they first talked to her.

GNTM is also big on fashion. Do you have a favorite label?

Ed Hardy is great for leisure time if you don't want to be boring. It depends however what your mood is that day. I like to wear a lot of different things. I can view all the outfits from fashion shows on the internet. Then I order one or the other. For example, on Thursday I had something from Elie Saab on.

Do you go out often?

Someone recently asked me, "So, you like to go out a lot..." I was surprised - we really don't go out often at all. We were at the Golden Globes, the Emmys... perhaps five nights in a year, so it's really not that much.

How do you explain your popularity?

I don't know if that's exactly true. I hear things that aren't so good. Some write things about me that I never said.

Does Seal sing for you in private at home?

Yes, of course. I heard the new CD "System" over the last four years at different stages. Before it was finished, he played it on his guitar.

And in the evening he sings a good-night song to Johan?

To all the children, actually. The songs on his CD were all created on the guitar, which he plays at home. He composes all the songs himself, he doesn't buy them like many other artists. He writes everything himself, so it takes him a little longer.

Do you also go to his concerts?

Yes, of course. We go to the sound check when no other people are there. The children hop on the stage, sing and dance. We love to go then. Now it is easier - when the children were smaller, it was somewhat more difficult. Naturally in the future we will have to wait for the holidays. I want to allow my daughter to have a normal life. She should be able to go to school just like her friends.