Bellazon

Heidi Klum

Guest MissIsabella

Translation of an interview in Bunte from 5 June 2008:

Her love is like a FAIRY TALE

Congratulations on your third anniversary! Why have you and your man said "yes" once again?

Together with the original wedding, it is our fourth celebration. It gives us a reason to go back to the place where we said "I do". It is a really great family celebration.

Why in Mexico?

We have a dream house in Mexico away from all the [popular tourist places]. We have taken many great vacations there.

What is your inspiration?

Every year I wore a traditional wedding dress. This year we had an Indian theme, inspired by our vacation [to India]. Seal and I were there last August. We liked it a lot. Our guests even arrived in traditional Indian clothes.

You work so perfectly as a couple - what is the secret of your love?

Love is rightfully the [headlining feature]. That is the secret.

Do you want any more children?

At the moment we are very happy. We have three children, and they cause us great joy. They are all different, but all super curious. And therefore, they never give us a boring moment.

You are a three-time mother, successful producer, TV-show host, and naturally a model. How do you succeed at doing the splits between work and family?

I have fifteen years of dancing: jazz, step, ballet. Three times a week I trained and never was able to do the splits. I always felt bad about that. I always found dancing super, but was insanely inflexible. Probably, I am more flexible in my job and with my family. It clicks very good.

How has motherhood changed you?

I started modeling in 1992, so that's 16 years. I have flown all around the world and had no big responsibilities. With children it is entirely different. They always come first. Especially with three children, you must consider ten times more whether to take on something new or not. Now I don't travel nearly as much, and when I do, it's always with the whole family.

What role does Seal have in your family life

He is my husband and the father of the children with all of them and that's part of it. Also, we have learned about ourselves that he lived in a glass house and didn't have much in the refrigerator. Today he is the pure family-father with photos in the wallet - and a light in the eyes when he talks to his children.

How do you organize your life?

I have an office in New York and in Germany. Nowadays it is super with my laptop. So now, for example, I can sit in Mexico and answer all my emails and questions.

What kind of entourage must you have when you travel around the world with your whole family?

Exactly as other large families. With the whole clan, we set ourselves up in Rhineland. Fully packed with food, toys, changes of clothes for the children - in case something gets in the pants or something bad happens. The whole program [is like that].

It sounds like you are one Supermom...

My current hobby is dancing along to my kids' favorite music - at the moment we listen to the soundtrack to the movie "Curious George" the most. Besides that: swimming, changing diapers, bouncing on the trampoline, and singing. I have fun in life and am very creative.

What is a perfect day in the life of Heidi Klum like?

Sunshine, blue skies and the whole family together. It's all the same really. The main thing is that we are all together.

The magazine "Forbes" listed you as number two among the wealthiest models. What significance does your money have?

My family can fulfill many great wishes.

You are obviously a multi-talent: commercial icon, TV-producer, TV-host, designer. How does one manage all that?

I came out of the cradle with an opportunity and I have, in the course of my life, followed my opportunity. I take the trouble daily to improve myself.

Why are you a "victorious type [of person]"?

I am purposeful, conscientious, and reliable.

The readers of "Time" magazine have placed you fourth on the list of most influential people in the world. What is the significance of that to you?

I can not comprehend why so many polled [think that]. It seems to me that there are many other people that should be ahead of me.

Do you feel as though you are an ambassador for Germany?

For fashion and modeling, perhaps.

You have previously described having two hearts: one German and one American. Where do you feel more at home?

I feel at home in both places, but I dream in German.

You seem to have a lease on good fortune in life. Do you have any wishes that haven't been granted?

Whoever has no wishes is dead. I wish not only for all good things for my family, but also for a peaceful togetherness around the world. There are so many natural disasters that must be overcome. I find that those in a position of responsibility have more than enough to do.

When you look back on your life up to now - where do you feel the most gratitude?

I was born in a time and in a land that had comparatively good living conditions.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

I will naturally develop further and probably find myself behind the camera.

How does aging rate in your life?

Time waits for no one. Not even for me. We all become older. We have with our experience simultaneously more wrinkles in the face. But that's OK.

What cosmetic surgeries are a subject for you?

I personally am not a candidate for these things.

You always appear so perfect. How long does it take you in the bathroom on a normal day?

Not very long. I am very relaxed and don't put on a lot of makeup. A pair of jeans and a cool top and I'm ready very quickly. When I have to go out for an event, it takes me a little longer.

Finally, tell us your beauty secrets!

Love, good nutrition, sleep.

Entertainment Weekly article:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20210480,00.html

'Project Runway': Still in Fashion for Season 5?

Heidi Klum and her reality hit have one season left on Bravo. Then everything changes: new network, new producers, new coast. Are fans in or out?

By Missy Schwartz

Settled into the backseat of a town car on a sticky June morning in New York City, Heidi Klum is explaining who she is — and isn't. Yes, she's the German-born supermodel who, over the past three years, has transformed herself from Victoria's Secret pinup to an Emmy-nominated TV star and producer. In 2004, with a little help from her big-shot friends (does the name Harvey Weinstein ring a bell?), Klum co-created and signed on to host Project Runway, the reality series about aspiring fashion designers that soon exploded into a ratings hit and watercooler favorite. But when it comes to brass-tacks business decisions about the show, including the bombshell announcement in April that it would be leaving its current home at Bravo for Lifetime in November, she is not the one calling the tough shots. ''People always think I have all the say. I don't!'' she says with a laugh. ''It's Harvey — he owns most of the show. And exactly what they do behind closed doors, I don't really know.'' So no, despite her success, she is not a screaming office tyrant. ''A hard businesswoman like, 'You're fired!' — that's not me,'' Klum says, as the car makes its way toward Parsons The New School for Design, where she'll spend the afternoon taping the seventh episode of Runway's fifth season. ''I like to think I am serious about business, but that doesn't mean I'm someone that stands in her office like, 'Grrrrrr!' I'm not a mean person.''

You can't really blame Klum for playing up her kind image, given the big, ugly storm that's currently brewing in the Runway universe. The same day The Weinstein Co. revealed that Lifetime would be airing season 6 and the four cycles beyond, Bravo's parent company, NBC Universal, fired back with a lawsuit claiming that the Weinsteins' deal with Lifetime (worth an estimated $150 million) was a breach of contract. And the drama didn't end there. A few weeks later, word came that the sixth season of the New York-based show would take place partly in Los Angeles, and that Runway's longtime producers Magical Elves, who many insiders credit with giving the show its addictive flair, would not be following the show to Lifetime. Then, with Nina Garcia moving from Elle to Marie Claire, there were doubts that the show's toughest judge would be joining the gang at Lifetime. It all added up to a doozy of a news flash for Runway's ultra-protective fans, many of whom were already grumbling that season 4 had slipped, with challenges relying too heavily on product placement, and a frustrating underutilization of the series' mentor, Tim Gunn. With so many changes, fans began worrying aloud that Runway was on the verge of becoming — to borrow a phrase from recent winner Christian Siriano — a hot tranny mess. So the $150 million question is: Can Project Runway keep making it work?

The Runway team assures us that the answer is yes — at least for season 5, which premieres on Bravo July 16. Despite the awkwardness of the impending network switch and the ongoing legal battle, everyone claims, diplomatically, that the mood on the set has been business as usual. ''We're totally focused on the show — on the challenges, the drama,'' says Klum. ''I'm not already with one foot over at Lifetime. Both of my feet are here, and I'm concentrating on making a beautiful show.'' And the caliber of the contestants? ''I'll be blunt: I don't know how we could have raised the talent bar any higher than season 4,'' says Gunn. ''But the bar is still there for season 5. We have an extremely high level of talent.'' Of course, even the most gifted John Galliano-in-the-making might fail to perform when faced with a lackluster challenge, or advertisements in the guise of sewing projects. (My, what a lovely Hershey's dress you've made, Sweet P!) ''The product placement this season is not egregious,'' promises executive producer Jane Cha, who will continue on with the show at Lifetime. ''The challenges are super creative. I don't think viewers are going to have cause for complaint.'' And as Magical Elves' Jane Lipsitz and Dan Cutforth shoot their final season, maintaining a high level of creative integrity is more important than ever. ''We really want to go out with a bang,'' says Cutforth, who with partner Lipsitz opted to sign a first-look deal with NBC Universal instead of re-upping with Runway for future cycles. Though the duo are keeping the details of how they plan to end their Runway stint a secret, Cutforth hints that they might repeat classic challenges from past seasons. He adds, ''We don't feel like it's over-promising to say that this will be one of the greatest seasons of the show.''

Still, there's no denying that Runway is in a period of transition. EW has confirmed that Garcia will resume her role in season 6, right alongside fellow judge Michael Kors, but the rest of the show remains in flux. With the lawsuit between NBC Universal and The Weinstein Co. still pending, there is a (small) chance that Runway won't end up at the network once synonymous with — cue breathy, female voice — television for women. The first court date is in July, when a judge will decide whether to grant a preliminary injunction against The Weinstein Co. barring them from proceeding with their Lifetime deal. Already there have been whispers that cycle 6's scheduled November premiere could get bumped to January. But not if Harvey Weinstein has anything to do with it, apparently. At a May 12 cocktail party in Manhattan, an EW reporter watched Weinstein give NBC co-chair Marc Graboff a hug...then proceed to tell Graboff that the facts were against them and to drop the case. (A spokesperson for Weinstein maintains ''it was friendly banter back and forth between Marc and Harvey and nothing more. The two have remained friends throughout the process.'') At a time when the Weinsteins' film business is not exactly going gangbusters, a lengthy legal battle is probably not the soundest of business maneuvers. Bravo, on the other hand, can hardly afford not to fight for Runway. The show delivers the network's highest ratings (season 4's finale topped off at 5.8 million viewers), and without Runway, the closest runners-up are Top Chef and The Real Housewives of Orange County, which wrapped at a less spectacular 4.2 million and 2.4 million respectively.

Yet Lifetime needs Runway just as much. Snagging the Emmy-nominated, Peabody Award-winning series is the savviest move the network, once known for its women-in-jeopardy melodramas, could have made. With the installation last year of its new CEO, the well-respected former ABC exec Andrea Wong, Lifetime has set out to transform itself into a hipper, younger destination; it's already boosted its cred with the hit drama Army Wives. And with a presence in 96 million homes, it has a potentially bigger reach than Bravo's 88.6 million. But with a median viewer age seven years older than Bravo's 41, Lifetime has yet to match its rival's cool quotient. Lifetime declined to comment for this story, claiming it was premature to speak about Runway. But when Wong spoke with EW in April, she called the series ''our crown jewel'' and promised not only to lavish it with ''as much support as possible,'' but to protect it as well. ''We love the show exactly the way it is. We plan to keep it that way.''

Well, maybe not exactly. Season 6 is, after all, slated to kick off in Los Angeles — a wallop of a change for a series in which NYC has effectively been a character from episode 1. The show's makers know the West Coast relocation has fans panicked, even if the finale will take place at Fashion Week in Bryant Park, as always. Exec producer Cha just asks that people give it a chance. ''We've spent five seasons in New York, and a little changeup is not a bad thing,'' she says. ''L.A. gives us Hollywood, red-carpet fashion, and more context for our challenges involving celebrity culture.'' For Klum, who denies reports that the coastal jump was motivated by her wish to be closer to her husband Seal and three kids, the locale shouldn't matter anyway. ''The designers are in the Project Runway world — they don't go anywhere apart from the house or Parsons or [the fabric store] Mood,'' she says. ''You can do that anywhere. You could do it on Mars, really.''

Of course, no amount of spin can change the fact that Magical Elves won't be lending their signature touch come season 6. And with Bunim-Murray, the producing team best known for MTV's The Real World, in final negotiations to replace them, it's impossible not to wonder how that might affect the show. (Will they install a hot tub in the sewing room?) But again, Klum insists there is no cause for alarm. ''The heart of the show will still be there,'' she says. ''It won't go into gossipy things like who's sleeping with who. I can assure people that. It will continue to be about finding great talent and giving them a platform to shine.'' That, a catwalk, and plenty of Tim Gunn is all we ask.