Bellazon

Ariana Grande
Thumbnail

Vanessa_gxox

Elle Q&A

‘Yours Truly’ is almost here.
Eleven days to go! I'm, like, [so excited] over here.

How long have you actually been working on this album?
Since August of 2010, I'd say. So it's been a journey.

We hear you're quite the studio rat.
If I could, I would not do anything else. I'd just be in the studio for my whole life. I would never go to parties, events, and red carpets. I would rather just be in the studio for the whole time. I don't even care. Nobody has to know what I look like. I just want to make music.

What was it like to transition from writing songs solo to working with seasoned songwriters and producers for the album?
I grew up writing songs in my room on GarageBand, and I would make the beats just out of layering my vocals over and over again. Very Imogen Heap-inspired. But when I started working on the album, my label hooked me up with all these incredible producers. It was an easy transition for me because I was open to it. It wasn't “Oh, I don't want to work with these people. I want to write my own stuff.” It was like, “This is cool because they're the best in the business, and they know what they're doing. They love the sound that I love, and we can do this together.”

People know your Mac Miller-featured song "The Way.” But what are some other album-cuts you're especially proud of?
I love the '90s-throwback ones, but I think my favorites are the ones that I wrote that have more of a doo-wop-y undertone to them: "Honeymoon Avenue," "Daydreamin,'" and "Tattooed Heart." Those have been with me for two years. They hold such a special place in my heart.

It must have been amazing to hear these old songs get the big studio treatment.
It’s insane! Because I had to re-record them and re-arrange them, since I wanted them to sound more cohesive with the rest of the record. So it was a complete transformation—at least for "Honeymoon Avenue." It started off as an upbeat, rooftop-down summer song, and it turned out being almost six minutes long. It's this gorgeous, mid-tempo sad song.

Did you have an idea that "The Way" would be a hit song?
Yes. When I recorded "The Way" I was like a giddy idiot. Like first-day butterflies. I smiled the whole time I recorded the song. The minute I heard the song, I was like, “Oh my God, this it. We found it. I'm dying. It has to come out in a month. It has to happen!”

Does it still blow your mind when you hear it on the radio?
Every time. When it comes on the radio, I crash my car.

As both an actress and a singer has it been a challenge to transition between these two artistic disciplines?
To be honest, I never really considered myself to be too much of an actress. So, whenever I get the chance to do music, I'm always like just in it. It's like, “Oh my God, I finally get to do this. I'm so happy.” It doesn't take much of a transition. And my fans jumped on board right away; they were excited, because I think they knew that I loved to do music first and foremost the whole time.

You combined both acting and singing early on by doing Broadway work. Is that something you hope to revisit?
Absolutely. I want to take it one day at a time obviously. I want to be a recording artist for my whole entire life. But Broadway is something I would come back to at any given moment. I love, love, love doing theater.

You recently opened some shows for Justin Bieber. How was that?
It was insane! I can't get over how nice and warm and welcoming his fans were to me. They were all there for him. And they sounded so excited to see me too. So it was so nice and so sweet of them. I had so much fun. It was crazy. It was a whirlwind. I loved it. You can't hear anything because you have your in-ears in. You can't really see anything because it's pitch-black. All you can see is twinkling lights, and all you can hear is the music. It's like you're underwater or something.

How has it been adjusting to your increased fame and celebrity?
Since "The Way" came out a lot has happened, a lot has changed. I've been followed around by people with cameras, which is insane to me. I don't really understand it; I never will. But it's okay. I was talking to [my managers] Allison [Kaye] and Scooter [braun] about it and they were like, “Listen, you just need to do what makes you happy. Don't worry about anything else. Don't get upset. You signed up for this: you're an artist, you're an actress”. I'm not too comfortable with the whole celebrity thing, but I think I'm doing well with the music thing, and that's what makes me happy.

What drew you to working with Braun?
He's got his hands full with some of the biggest acts in the world right now. I was nervous that I was just going to be in this group of incredibly time-demanding acts and not get any help. The thing that Scooter is incredible at, though, is making each and every one of his acts feel like they're his only act. He's an incredible businessman; he makes all the right moves. He knows his music, too. The reason I signed with him is because we had a meeting at my house, and he was equally as passionate about my project as I was, if not more. He was like, "Here are the things in your past I would have changed and done differently." And he told me that honestly. And I agreed with him. And he's such a good friend, too. I'll call him to talk about boys. And he'll roll his eyes on the other end of the phone.

We're dying to know about your fashion sense.
You know, I never really got into fashion the way that I should have. I feel like my main focus has always been music. I go out in jeans and a hoodie every day. That's what I'm comfortable in. But I do love girly, flouncy skirts. I want to be a fashionista, but I feel like I haven't really had the time to actually be a fashionista yet.

Ari's Marie Claire Bucket List

Skill I'd like to master:  SCUBA DIVING

Book I want to read: GOD WEARS LIPSTICK BY KAREN BERG

Instrument I want to pick up: VIOLIN

Adventure I'd like to go on: AN EXPEDITION TO EVEREST

Bad habit I want to kick: CRACKING MY BACK

Language I'd love to learn: FRENCH

Artist I want to collaborate with: M.I.A.

J-14 Q&A

J-14: How are you similar to your character Cat?

Ariana Grande: Cat has very emotional highs and lows, so being a 16-year-old girl, I can relate to that -- although my highs and lows aren't as drastic! She's also very optimistic and loves to make friends. I love to talk to people randomly in an elevator. I'll just be like, 'Hi, I like your hat!' I see myself similar to Cat in that way. And she loves music and makeup, so that's similar. But Cat and I are very different in our fashion sense -- she wears lots of patterns, colors, and glitter, and I wear them all conservatively. She does wear really short dresses and heels, which I love, and I would wear that.

J-14: What's your favorite part about being on Victorious?

Ariana: Working with Dan Schneider is amazing, because he's the king of kid and teen shows. I grew up watching The Amanda Show andAll That. This is Dan's favorite story -- I was four years old, and I called 411 and asked for Nickelodeon in Orlando, and they connected me. I was like, 'I want to be on All That,' and they were like, 'Oh, someday, Sweetie, someday.' Now I'm working with him! It's so crazy and ridiculous. Victorious is the coolest show. I love it.

J-14: What's the cast like behind-the-scenes?

Ariana: This cast tends to love scaring each other. Half of our wrap tape was us just scaring each other. I'm the most likely to be scared because I'm a girly-girl and easy to scare. If I see a spider I'm like, 'It's really cute.' If it jumps I'm like, 'Bye! I'm out!' We're also a very musical cast, so we all go to my house because I have a fun house -- I have Wii and a recording studio, so we always jam and use my looping machine. All the boys bring their guitars and it's fun.

J-14: What's your favorite part about working with Victoria Justice?

Ariana: She's really quirky and funny, and that's really cool because she's the star of her own show! Victoria and I love making up rap songs when we're filming. [The best one] was about fruit and how we don't like cherries but we love all the rest of the fruits.

J-14: What's one thing you did as a kid that your parents still don't know about?

Ariana: I used to give the rugs in my house haircuts. I took scissors, gave them little haircuts, and put little bows on them. My mom would find the bows but she wouldn't think that's because I gave them a haircut! I actually ripped my Barbies' heads off when I was little and then I spray painted their hair with Crayola paint. I was pretty creative. There was this stage where I would wear a Scream mask around the house and have a hockey puck and would run around and say weird things that I just made up. I was always performing for someone.

Neon Limelight Q&A

What’s the first song you ever remember singing?

I was a real little girl. Probably “Somewhere Over The Rainbow.” Wizard Of Oz was always my favorite movie when I was younger.

What about the first song you ever wrote? What was that about?

The first song I ever wrote was really silly, and I still actually have it on my computer, which is really funny. It was about rain. Like, just about rain. No deeper meaning, no subtext, just rain. [laughs] I was really young when I wrote it, too. I don’t know why I never thought about writing songs before age 10, but I guess I just always liked singing other artists’ songs until 10, then I was like oh well and tried and it was really funny.

You’ve already done so much in your career. Have you had any hardships along the way?

Yeah. I think with every new project that you do, of course there are going to be hardships, and that’s part of the most amazing thing about this because you learn with every new project and everything. Like the music video I just shot. It’s been quite an adventure getting it edited and everything because this was my first time shooting a music video and I was kind of nervous and we were losing light as the day was going on. It’s hard because sometimes the director wants to focus more on the continuity and the storyline, and I just want to focus on the performance and the dancing and the beauty of it, and not work on color correction, CGI, and silly effects and stuff. They’re like ‘you have to work on the subtext.’ Like, no. [laughs]

But there are plenty of hardships that come along with everything. I’m learning so much, especially because I was in middle school and then I got thrown into the performance life. I went right from middle school, like regular, everyday school, to Broadway. And that was a really crazy transition to make because it was so much hard work. I was like yay, no more school! Then I was like oh my God, I have to kill myself everyday dancing for more than 12 hours and sit on my couch everyday with Icy Hot and Tiger Balm and the whole house smelling like menthol and just waiting for my muscle pain to go away. It’s a lot of hard work and it’s a lot of adjusting, but I’m learning so much, so I’m happy.

Do you feel like you missed out on anything at all?

You know, maybe prom and homecoming, but I wouldn’t have been much fun at them anyway because I’m not really a party girl anyway. As boring as that sounds, I probably would have just stayed home and read Harry Potter. [laughs]

So, I watched some of your YouTube videos and listened to “Put Your Hearts Up.” Your voice is really sensational. Like, you have such an old soul to it.

Thank you! Oh wow. Thank you so much!

Who are some of your vocal influences?

I love Mariah Carey. She is literally my favorite human being on the planet. And of course Whitney [Houston] as well. As far as vocal influences go, Whitney and Mariah pretty much cover it. I love Fergie as well. She’s just so fun and passionate. I love that she raps as well. Like, she has a fantastic voice and she can belt Gs and As and she doesn’t have to do it all the time. She just has swag and I think that’s really cool.

How does it feel to go on YouTube now and see covers of your own song?

It’s really cool! It’s fun to have a song that’s now my own and have my fans cover it, which is really cool. I have the best, most loyal and supportive fans in the world, and seeing them singing along to my song is the cutest thing in the world. It’s a great feeling. I can’t wait for them to hear the rest of the album, because I think they’re really going to like it.

You already talked a little about the music video, but what was it like being in front of the camera to shoot it? You’re in front of the camera all the time with Victorious, but what was it like to be in front of the camera for your music video as opposed to anything else?

That was a big adjustment for me because I had never been in front of the camera alone before. Like, whenever I was on camera [before], I was always with my friends from the show. It was just me and my friends goofing around, but this was just me. And I was like oh my God! It was kind of scary at first, but I loved it and I got used to it. I felt like Audrey Hepburn.

[Laughs] What’s your favorite part of the video?

My favorite part of the video is in the bridge — actually, I have like a million favorite parts! I love the beginning because I get to free a little cartoon butterfly on a balcony, and it’s really cute and girly and everything I could hope for. And I love the bridge because it’s a Singing In The Rain homage and I love old movies so much, and I dance with two of my dancers, Manny and Jordan, a we do a little Singing In The Rain homage in the rain with an umbrella. It’s really cute. And for the ending, I actually got 70 or 80 of my fans to be in the ending shot, and it just so cool to have real [fans there].

My favorite part about shooting the video was that everyone was really excited to be there. Like, I’ve been in the background of music videos before. Not really background, but as a dancer or helping a friend or whatever, and the energy was so… Like some of the dancers [on those sets] were like ‘I don’t wanna be here. I wanna go home.’ That’s not what it was on my set. Everyone was so excited. And when we weren’t shooting, we were literally on the Universal lot having a photoshoot and doing silly things. [We were] too busy having fun. It was just a really wonderful experience and I hope that all my video shoots can go as swimmingly as that one did.

Does “Put Your Hearts Up” represent the sound of the rest of the album?

No. “Put Your Hearts Up” is actually very different from the rest of the album. “Put Your Hearts Up” is the first single because it has a great message and, in some people’s opinion, is the most…

Commercial?

The best option for a newcomer, most commercial, yeah. You know, it screams ‘newbie coming to town.’ It’s kind of my, like, not like “Genie In A Bottle,” but it’s my first single that is somewhat different and somewhat going with the flow for now. The rest of the [album's] sound is influenced by 1950s and 60s pop, like Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, The Shirelles, The Temptations, that type of thing. It’s influenced by that, but it’s still very contemporary. It’s a mixture between that, young Mariah Carey, and Black Eyed Peas. It’s kind of all over the place, but it’s a really fun sound and I think it’s very different.

Awesome! How much of the album did you get to write?

We’re not done with the album yet, but as far as what we’ve done so far, I’ve written about 80% of it. It’s been a really amazing experience because I wrote a lot by myself too. It’s been really fun. And I didn’t realize how much more enjoyable it is to sing words that you’ve written because you get them, and you understand what you’re talking about, and you can actually relate to them. Like, a lot of the songs are a direct reflection of my journal, literally. It’s just straight up me. And I’m really excited because my fans are going to get to know sides of me they haven’t gotten to know before. So, yeah. It’s been really fun, and I’ve gotten to collaborate with amazing writers. It’s been really fun.

Who did you work with on the album?

I’ve been working a lot with Matt Squire, who is an incredibly talented writer. He wrote one of my favorite songs when I was in middle school. You know Panic! At The Disco… [singing] “I chimed in with, ‘haven’t you ever heard of…’”

Oh! I love that song. “I Write Sins Not Tragedies.”

Yeah! I love that song too. He’s just incredibly talented and he gets the sound. I’ve been working with Nick Jonas too, who has been really amazing and supportive and we have a lot of fun, and Kojack as well, who is part of Dr. Luke’s camp. He has just been so cool and he’s actually the most interesting person I’ve ever met in my life. I don’t know anyone like him. I was doing this thing where I was asking all of the producers I worked with to sign my iPod case. I had like 10 signatures on there. It was going really well. And then I was like “Kojak, will you sign this?” But instead, he spray painted the whole thing.

[Laughs]

Now I can’t see any of the signatures anymore.

Well, that sucks!

Oh yeah! And JR Rotem. He’s amazing and I love him so much.

Awesome! So, when you get fully into the album, like the process of promoting it, do you plan on taking a break from Victorious or are you going to juggle the two?

I am currently juggling the two right now. We’re in meetings about the second single and about when the album is going to come out. I’ve been sort of juggling the two for the past year. But it’s..it’s really hard to do but it’s really fun and I love both jobs, so I think I’m going to be juggling the two and I’m going to wait until I can get on some sort of radio tour or anything until after Victorious is over for the season.

This is kind of a serious question, but a lot of pop stars your age haven’t been able to handle the pressures of fame as well as others. How do you plan to avoid some of the pitfalls?

I don’t know. I have a really — actually, I do know — I have a really, really, really wonderfully supportive, perfectly, like, sane family. I feel like a lot of the teen celebrities who haven’t been able to handle the fame and sort of messed up as a role model have not really had the full support of their family and that seems to be the root of the problem. Since I was a little girl, my mom would make me feel like I was a little star. It hasn’t gone to my head or anything, but my mom has made me feel important since I was just a bumblebee in Billy Goats Gruff in my school production. So, it’s like, you know, my mom has taken amazing care of me and she’s just taught me so many amazing things that I feel like a lot of teenagers my age haven’t been fortunate enough to learn yet.

Also, and I don’t know if this helps at all, but I’m not like a crazy girl in any way. Even if I was just in high school, the furthest thing from myself…like, I would never even go to a party. I’m just a nerd. I just live for music. I just live to listen to music, sing, write, learn weird electronic instruments, and take bubble baths, and read books, and play video games with my family. I guess that’s what makes me somewhat boring in a way [laughs] but safe in another way. I guess that’s how I plan on avoiding those downfalls.

That’s awesome. And you’re not boring. We would totally be BFFs because that’s what I love to do.

We’ll hang out then!