Bellazon

Sergio Canales
Thumbnail

Govea2012

Father: Canales not moving to England

The father of Real Madrid youngster Sergio Canales is adamant that his son will not leave Spain for a loan spell in England.

The precocious midfielder only made the switch to the Spanish giants from Racing Santander this summer but he has rarely featured in Jose Mourinho's first eleven lineup, prompting speculation that he could be shunted out on loan in a bid for more first-team action.

However, his father Angel Canales, who also acts as his son's agent, has refuted claims that Canales junior will briefly ply his trade in England.

"To join a team like Real Madrid at the age of 19 is very demanding on all levels and you must have patience," said Angel Canales, according to talkSPORT.

"He is happy with his life in Madrid. Admittedly it would be better if he was playing more but it's a difficult situation and he must fight to change it.

"But we have decided that Sergio should continue to work for his chance at Madrid."

Canales is regarded as one of Spain's hottest prospects and his displays with boyhood club Racing last campaign prompted Madrid to snap him up this season.

Canales: I'm not happy on the bench

Precocious Real Madrid youngster Sergio Canales has admitted he is not too thrilled at his lack of first-team opportunities.

However, the playmaker has also insisted that he will not depart the nine-time European champions in a bid to play more minutes on the pitch.

The Spaniard has predictably struggled to force his way into the first-team picture alongside his more illustrious counterparts since his summer arrival from Racing Santander.

Nevertheless, despite speculation linking Canales to a loan move to Italy, he is determined to stay on and catch the eye of manager Jose Mourinho.

"I'm not happy, but I'm not going to leave Madrid, only fight and work hard to get more opportunities," he is quoted as telling AS.

"Playing in Madrid is complicated and I knew it would not be easy. I came with enthusiasm and was aware that playing for a big team is very complicated, because there are great players and competition is high. So I have to try to exploit all my opportunities.

"With the team and the coach I am very happy. I wish I had more minutes, but you have to work hard."

Canales rose through the ranks at Racing before Real snapped him up at the start of the campaign.

• 2 weeks later...