Bellazon

Angelina Jolie
Thumbnail

Dennis

Jolie-Pitt Baby Adoption Ruled Legal

November 16, 2007

HOLLYWOOD - Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's adoption of a baby from Ethiopia has been ruled legal by the agency that first approved it in 2005.

The ruling has quashed speculation that the woman who gave up 2-year-old Zahara wanted the child back.

But Dr. Tsegaye Berthe, head of the Wide Horizons for Children Agency, slammed the rumors as "media hype by unethical journalists."

At the time of the adoption the girl's grandmother sent a letter to a court in the country's capital, Addis Ababa, stating that Zahara's mother was dead.

Dr. Berhe confirmed this and insisted that Jolie and Pitt were deemed to be worthy parents, saying, "The court approved the adoption after studying the document her grandmother wrote.

"The grandmother brought three witnesses to court who testified that Zahara's mother had died and that her father was unknown.

"The court also investigated the social status of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt before approving the adoption."

Jolie adopted her first child, Maddox, 6, from Cambodia in 2002, who was followed by Zahara, 2, from Ethiopia, and Pax, 3, from Vietnam. Pitt later applied to become their adoptive father. The couple also has their own biological daughter, 17-month-old Shiloh.

Adoption agency backs Angelina Jolie

November 17, 2007

Angelina Jolie's adoption of an Ethiopian baby was legal, the agency involved said, rejecting reports that the child's relatives want her back.

Newspapers have reported this week that relatives of two-year-old Zahara, including a woman who says she is her birth mother, want the child returned to Ethiopia. Jolie adopted Zahara in July, 2005.

in touch has never been a reliable source but the lady claiming to be zahara's mom must be for real cause zahara's her carbon copy but the picture they provided my have been an old one!! well who knows...someone must have instigated this whole thing (and i mean someone from the media industry)otherwise how can these people back in Ethiopia be heard by such a hot selling publication!! anyways lets hope everything will work out for the better...at least for lil' zahara's sake !!

Birth Mother Of Angelina Jolie's Adopted Daughter Says She Never Asks For Child Back

Monday, Nov 19, 2007

The mother of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's adopted daughter denies "In Touch" magazine's story that says she wanted her child back.

Mentewab Dawit says that, quote, "was something I never said," adding, "I have never disputed the adoption." She also says that her words were twisted by "so-called journalists" who apparently told her that they were working for Jolie.

Dawit also says that she had no way of taking care of Zahara and thinks the child "is a very fortunate human being to be adopted by a world-famous lady."

Ethiopian mother supports Angelina Jolie adoption

20071119t083724450x320uqf2.th.jpg

Mentwabe Dawit, the mother of an Ethiopian baby adopted by Angelina Jolie

AWASA, Ethiopia (Reuters) - The mother of an Ethiopian baby adopted by Angelina Jolie denied on Saturday that she had ever challenged the adoption, and said she was happy her daughter had found a home with the Hollywood star.

In an interview at her tiny home in the southern city of Awasa, Mentwabe Dawit rejected newspaper reports in the United States and Europe this week that she wanted two-year-old Zahara returned to Ethiopia.

Her words had been twisted, she said, by "so-called journalists" who had visited her and claimed to be working for the Oscar-winning actress.

"I have never disputed the adoption," Mentwabe told Reuters. "This was a mistake. It was something I never said."

On Thursday, the Ethiopian agency that arranged the adoption said it was "legal and irrevocable" and that Zahara's grandmother had told an Addis Ababa court her daughter was dead.

EARTH-FLOORED HOUSE

Speaking on Saturday in her earth-floored house, lit by a single light bulb, Mentwabe said she ran away from her home five months after giving birth because she had no food for her baby.

"I decided to flee rather than watch her die," she said.

Her mother searched for her for months around Awasa, 270 km (170 miles) south of the capital, but eventually concluded that she must have died and put the baby girl up for adoption.

Jolie, who also works as a goodwill ambassador for the U.N. refugee agency UNHCR, adopted her in July 2005. She adopted a Cambodian refugee boy, Maddox, three years earlier.

In Awasa, Mentwabe kissed a picture of the actress.

"This is to show I have no ill feelings towards her," she said. "I think my daughter is a very fortunate human being to be adopted by a world-famous lady. I wish them both all the success they deserve."