Bellazon

Sun Feifei
Thumbnail

floflandrin

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

But that doesn’t make the biggest night in fashion any less exciting.

By: Tara Gonzalez
Photography: Alec Kugler
Makeup: Maki Ryoke
Hair: Dana Boyer

This Met Gala is model Fei Fei Sun’s fourth. If you think that means she isn’t just as excited as she was for her first, you’d be wrong. Sitting on a pale pink couch in a room decked with velvet curtains at the Gramercy Park Hotel, Fei Fei excitedly tells us about her love of The Met Museum and her admiration for Rei Kawakubo. At 4 PM she still hasn’t decided between two Alberta Ferretti dresses for no other reason than that they are both perfect. Ultimately, she goes with the long black gown with sleeves that swirl off the shoulder, faultlessly in tune with the Comme des Garçons theme that favors the bold sartorial risk over the conventional and expected.

Half an hour later, we talk over while waiting for a delivery from David Yurman to arrive. Fei Fei begins to reminisce over Rihanna’s performance two years ago and her favorite room in the museum until we realize it’s already 5:30 PM. She quickly straps on her Dries Van Noten heels, grabs her silver Swarovski clutch, and rushes into the elevator and her car before flashing us another red-lipped smile. We guess it’s true what they say: style never goes out of fashion—and enthusiasm for the Met Gala never fades.

“This is my fourth time attending the Met Gala. I’m so honored to be part of this night specifically because the Met Museum is one of my favorite places in New York. Whether it’s a really hot day, its a great place to go cool off, or in the wintertime it’s a great way to spend an afternoon and meet friends for drinks on the roof!”

“I always build my outfits from the ground up. I always start with the shoes, especially for an evening event where I’m going to be standing. I start with the shoes and work my way up. Tonight I’m wearing suede ankle-strap shoes that are mine by Dries van Noten!”

“My dress tonight is by Alberta Ferretti. I admire her for being such a strong woman like Rei Kawakubo!”

“Being here in The Gramercy Hotel...and being in these rooms, you really feel the history and the grandeur of New York. It has such a nice ambience with the velvet curtains! It has such a nice serenity to it.”

“This is my third Met ball working with Maki. Maki is the best. Not only does she do my makeup, and her makeup is flawless, but she pampers me! We did an Estée Lauder mask, and afterwards she gave me a facial massage. It goes beyond just applying makeup. She really treats me and pampers me, which helps me relax before such a big event.”

“Living in New York City now for seven years, I have really enjoyed as much time in as many parks as I can, Central Park being a favorite. Running the west side highway is always fun. Gramercy Park is so mysterious because you need a key! So it’s so great to get ready with a view of the park and be a tourist in my own city.”

“Every year the Met Gala gets better and better. You never know what to expect, but I am always overwhelmed by how grand it is. I always leave learning something.”

“I love how the Met encompasses all of the entire world. They have the Africa wing and the Asia Wing. They have modern art and classic art and everything from Vincent Van Gogh to the Temple of Dendur.”

“I was thinking it would be fun to do a bang tonight.”

“Two years ago the performer at the Met was Rihanna, and she is just so amazing. I’m fascinated to see who is going to perform. Because it is such a small crowd, the performance feels so intimate.”

“For me, Rei Kawakubo is someone I’ve always looked up to in fashion history. I think it’s amazing how she took the color black and made it more than something being worn for mourning. She made it a style, which is indescribably amazing.”

“Rei’s clothes have such a unique relationship with the body. Whether it’s 2-D and standing away from the body or something that is following the curve of the body or just something that creates entirely new shapes.”

“I love Dries Van Noten, so happy that he had his anniversary show recently in Paris. Dries van Noten is like Rei Kawakubo, he also marches to the beat of his own drum, and he is independent.”

“Just as I always expect a lot out of the Met Gala and I am always impressed...I feel the same about Rei Kawakubo and her collections. You never know what to expect, but you always leave seeing the world in a whole new way.”

“It is such an amazing event, just like the Temple of Dendur in the Met that is so historic. It feels really modern and really ancient all at the same time.”

http://coveteur.com/2017/05/02/fei-fei-sun-met-gala-2017-getting-ready/

Aj0FnkCA.jpg VQGFn0qv.jpg DlpOecGc.jpg lb8s1aMd.jpg Wkb6ojeL.jpg iHhQrTZf.jpg acduReJ3.jpg 4oxjefyv.jpg

• 1 month later...

Zara Lookbook: Fei Fei Sun's Current

“ I don't read during flight because the lighting is not good. So playing audio novel when I am traveling city to city is like traveling with a story teller.

“ I have been taking care of four baby Pacific Parrotlets. They are the smallest parrots in the world. Such beautiful smart active creatures and also very quiet in comparison to other parrots!

“ It works just like magic - you put in clean beans, and a cup of water, after 8 minutes you get your fresh soymilk. I love soy milk and I can make it at home now!

“ It starts with homemade fruits salad. It's not just fruits, I also put some beef, eggs, nuts, and soybean skin in it. Then I would also bring a cup of warm green tea when go to the photo-shoots instead coffee. 

“ White t-shirts are my favorite summer item. For a more casual look, I just mix a white t-shirt with jeans, trousers or high-waisted skirts.

“ Flowers are beautiful because of the delicate petals, and your lips are your petals. I use lip balm before I go to bed, and when I wake up, my lips look fresher and smoother. Taking care of my lips while I sleep makes it easier to keep it fresh during the daytime, especially in the spring.

“ There are hundreds of ways to make Chinese food. I am always excited to learn new ways to prepare meals. And cooking for my friends makes me feel happy.

“ I have some friends who love diving and so does my boyfriend. I tried diving for the first time a few weeks ago. I have to say I was so so scared the first time when I was under water with a mask. But now I start to like it and hope to get my diving license very soon!”

“ I love flowers. I always go to farmers market to pick some fresh cut flowers. I enjoy spending time with flowers and making them more beautiful in my vase. Just feels so good. I even go to flower arrangement school in NYC not only for fun but I would also like to become more professional.”

“ At the moment it is just beyond working and working, but I am plan ning to go to Tahiti for vacation! I heard its very beautiful, and I would love to be there.”

675670402.jpg look1-img1-3.st.jpg look1-img1-4.st.jpg look2-img2-1.st.jpg look2-img2-2.st.jpg look3-img3-1.st.jpg look3-img3-2.st.jpg look4-img4-2.st.jpg look5-img5-1.st.jpg look5-img5-2.st.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vogue.com June 2017 
'Supermodel's Prep and Detox for Summer' 

By Jasmine Contomichalos 

How do you switch up your beauty and fitness routines in the summer? 

As it gets very hot and dry, my skin needs a lot of protection and repair. When I’m in the sun, I use La Mer SPF 50 UV or La Roche-Posay Cooling Water-Lotion Sunscreen—which is a weightless, water-like sunscreen—every two hours. And I use the La Mer Hydrating Facial Mask twice a week and Estée Lauder Night Repair Mask once a week—more than in other seasons. [For exercise], I like [walking] to the flower markets and cycling in Central Park.

Have you ever done a full digital detox?

Yes. when I go home on vacation, I can’t access Instagram or Facebook, so I use that time to do a full digital detox. I read and listen to music; it’s nice to take a break.

Favorite beach products?

I love the beach! But my skin and hair are easily damaged from the sun, so I always wear a hat or scarf to protect myself from the sun and wind. At the end of the day, it’s always nice to put Moroccan oil in my hair. It smoothes and repairs my hair; I feel like it gets stronger when I use it.

Favorite summer beauty icon?

My mom. She always encouraged me to go outside. I owe my love of sports and fitness to her. Also, she taught me how to cook summer soups, which are really good for skin during the summertime. 

Ultimate summer escape destination?

I love going on road trips to explore America. Last fall I visited Yellowstone National Park. It’s great to go camping somewhere that I can sleep under the stars and touch nature.

• 5 weeks later...