Bellazon

Hana Jirickova
Thumbnail

minus1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I translated her interview about her art with Vogue Paris.

When did you start painting?

For as long as I can remember. But I think that I was 4 years old. My mother gave me a painting kit and it was as if I had been gifted a magic wand. I could finally express myself. Art imposed itself on me and I didn’t dare to lay my paintbrush down the whole day. 

Do you have a specific technique?

I mostly use oil paint and acrylic on the canvases, but also on wooden panels or cardboards. I also make collages, drawings and sketches.

The artist that influenced your work the most?

I’d say Egon Schiele. The first time that I discovered his paintings, I was completely captivated. He influenced me to explore figurative art and a little bit darker subjects. To look around me and to find inspiring personages to paint.

What is the starting point of an artwork?

I could be at the airport, in a coffee shop, in a train but if I see someone with an interesting silhouette or style, I immediately take my sketchbook and start to draw. It’s automatic. That’s also the reason why I always have a sketchbook with me. It’s like a personal figurative diary. But when I’m working on abstract pieces or more conceptual, it’s a different process. It takes more time. I first have to develop an idea, play with the colours and textures. I like doing both.

What nourishes your art?

It could be a book, a place, a feeling...It’s also everything that is happening around me. Our world is going through a tumultuous period. The inequalities, the destruction and pollution of the nature, the superficiality, the egoism, the nepotism. It all inspires me a lot. Great artworks often come from dark places.

Do you have a particular ritual when you’re working?

When I’m drawing, it’s an automatic process. I see something that inspires me and I start to draw. When I’m painting, I like to start in the evening and then continue the whole night. I stay in a room and the time flies by. It’s like being in my own world, my own universe. I have total control over the process. And that’s very satisfying because it’s never the case in real life.

What makes an artwork successful?

The talent, the honesty, the risks that you take and the time that you give it. Like I always say, you don’t make good art simply with good intentions.

The mistake to never make when painting?

The list of mistakes go on and on. But I’d say to make art only to satisfy people. Or to follow a trend or to use the style and ideas from an other artist. In the fashion industry, you can get away with that but that’s not the case in the art industry.

Three artists from the past that you admire?

Egon Schiele, Rothko, Pollock, Henri Matisse...

And three contemporary artists that you admire?

Lucian Freud, Jack and Dinos Chapman and Louise Bourgeois.

An artwork that you wish you’d own?

A sculpture by Giacometti. I dream of having one. But if someone who reads this interview can help me to make my dream come true, I encourage them to send it to Vogue Paris for me.

http://m.vogue.fr/mode/mannequins/story/les-mannequins-artistes-qui-sont-aussi-peintres/746

• 3 weeks later...