Bellazon

The Greatest Rock 'N' Roll Guitarist

Monkey

Who do you consider to be the Greatest Rock Guitarist?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider to be the Greatest Rock Guitarist?

• Jimi Hendrix - Jimi Hendrix Experience
    • Jimmy Page - Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, The Firm
    • Jeff Beck - Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, Solo
    • Eric Clapton - Yardbirds, Cream, Derek & The Dominos, Solo
    • Joe Satriani - Solo
    • Stevie Ray Vaughan - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
    • Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blackmore's Night
    • David Gilmour - Pink Floyd, Solo
    • Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
    • Slash - Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver
    • Duane Allman - Allman Brothers Band, Derek & Dominos
    • Brian May - Queen
    • Steve Vai - David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, Solo
    • John Petrucci - Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment
    • Randy Rhoads - Quiet Riot, Ozzy
    • Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force, Solo
    • Kirk Hammett - Metallica
    • Eric Johnson - Solo
    • John McLaughlin - Mahavishnu Orchestra
    • Steve Howe - Yes, Solo

He's not on the list but Jason Becker is insanely good. Though he can't play guitar anymore because of ALS :(

www.jasonbecker.com

Check out the Serrana Arpeggios in the video section on his site.. Or any of the songs off his solo album "Perpetual Burn".

I can't believe none of you voted Satriani. :rolleyes:

To tell you the truth, I love Hendrix and Dimebag, Hammett, but they really do not possess the same skill as some of the other guys. They may have a larger following, but that doesn't really say anything about how good they really are.

Satriani instructed Hammett and Vai, something about Vai's music just doesn't feel smooth to me like Satch does. Personal opinion of course though.

Malmsteen, is good, really good, 'nuff said. To me though still has nothing on Satriani.

You guys should take a listen to some Satriani, probably something off of Crystal Planet to get you started seeing as that I believe was the most commercial album, heard a few songs on the radio. I suggest, Up in the Sky, Crystal Planet, Ceremony(though it's not all that techincal), or A Train of Angels

Based on pure techincality there is no way Hendrix should be winning this poll, he's getting popularity votes, not based his actual playing skill, his skill is great, but far from the best on this list. Although his music was very influential so you have to give him points for that. :)

Certainly, if it was a 'technical' poll, I would vote for Satch, no doubt about that. But being a great rock guitarist doesn't involve only great technique... There's something more to it, and I think in this case my vote for Hendrix is justified :)

As for Vai... Hmm, I don't know if I'm keen on such music. I'll try to download some songs and I'll let you know about my opinion, GreedyGrandpa ;)

I've heard the latest Satriani stuff ('Is There Love In Space?') and it was quite a dissapointment for me. You hear the band playing... but, well, the band are not 'playing'... they're just a background for Satriani, for his guitar... His solos are cool, but if they comprise almost the whole album, I say - 'no, thank you'.

Compare this album with Jeff Beck's 'Wired'... Of course, Satriani is better technically speaking, but in terms of the music, compositions, arrangements... Beck owns him.

This is all my opinion

1. Hendrix, grosly over rated...

2. Kirk Hammett is great :) lol, my first guitar inspiration

3. Steve Vai in my opinion has really bad songs, but there is something magic about his playing i do like, liek the songs quoted b4 , For the love of god, it always got me. blue power is great tune. but i really dont no of many other good tunes of his, but i do have a few of his albums, and over all, they just completely suck.... lol :) (note im the only person who voted for vai). i did see him in concert, and watching him diong all the crap he did was amazing.

4. Satch... i dont no, ive tried listenin to satch for awhile. I liked vai first, then i heard satch, then i liked him more. but now it comes back to vai lol. Satch seems a little too, i dont even no how to describe it but i dont like it :) lol.

5. Ritchie Blackmore ... I think hes one of the first tech players in the classic rock scene, and that should be awarded to him.

6. SRV - Great frigging pentatonic player, possibly the best... played with so much emotion, so much passion, so much of everything. he is a huge inspiration in my book.

7. I prefer jazz guitarists :) , Al DiMeola, Pat Metheny, Pat Martino, Herb Ellis, Wes Montgomery, Joe pass.. if ur lookin into jazz and dont no where to start.... theres a good way

8. Sorry for my big rave about guitarists :) lol, and sorry for switchin to jazz at the end :).

Man, from what I've heard (it wasn't much, though), I find Yngwie's tone rather average. He can NOT touch Brian May, in my opinion, as far as the tone is concerned.

I watched Eric Clapton's 'Live in Hyde Park' DVD today and... whoo, you gotta appreciate the guy. Excellent vibrato.

1. Ill have to say SRV had the most soul outta neone on the list by far... watch the El mocambo dvd .... truely inspirational....

2. Malmsteen ---- ..... who cares who can play fast, who says good guitar players is about playing fast lol ....

3. Carlos Santana- Greatist lyrisist EVER , hes so freakin lyrical in his playing, i think he should hands down be declared the most underated guitarist ever.... and should probally take place of hendrix.... blah over rating media!

4. Riffs - i do agree, page... lol :)

5.Tech stuff ill also agree - Vai

6. Speed - well theres a fine line between sounding like crap and playing decent lol, Al Di meola.... hands down lol :)

NOte this is all my opinion dont get mad please :)

Man, Di Meola is awesome... He's friggin' fast and perfectly listenable at the same time (and you can't say that about Fareri).

Alan Holdsworth... Damn, I really need to check him out... I've never heard him, what a shame.

Here are my winners:

Technique: John Petrucci, Michael Angelo

Emotion: Jimi Hendrix, Dave Gilmour, Carlos Santana

Speed: Francesco Fareri, Michael Angelo

Riffs: Tony Iommi, Tom Morello

Sound: Brian May, Dave Gilmour, Jeff Beck

i never aquired a taste for holdsworth, although he did pave some wave, a little bit, although im pretty sure John Mclaughlin was one of the first tech players (i could be wrong)... i dont no y i dont like holdsworth, i usually like stuff like that, but MClaughin was a big inspiration for me, maybe u could educate me more on holdsworth if i am wrong, cause its very possible

ok, u know what, im really diggin this recording lol (i take back my previous comment), but i dont no if he was the "first tech player" still, but man, i think u made my change my mind with this song, just the first few notes in the solo makes me wanna like....o i dont no, jump in front of something moving fast (in a good way trust me :), omg i friggin like this, Forgive my first post, i didnt download the song until now!!!!!!!

Nyc Rocks, thanks for opening my eyes

this is frigging AMAZING, great phrasing, totally fusion o man i cant get enough

I actually mean that McLaughlin was one of the first guitar 'shredders' out there, using mostly picking rather than legato. He was one of the first guitarists to introduce such approach to the jazz/rock world, I think. I don't know, I'm no expert on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, I'm gonna give some props to Joe Satriani. I've been listening to his Live In San Francisco album and it's pretty good... I really love songs like Time (the ending is incredibly good!) and Flying In A Blue Dream.

satriani2ts.jpg

Satriani surprised me a lot, because he's not a typical shredder, he plays lots of legato, only with his left hand... If he picked every note he played, he would sound like a wanker. But he's really impressive.