Bellazon

Penelope Cruz
Thumbnail

chiva474128

here is Penelope`s interview for Celebrity Q&A Examiner :wub:

article by: Carla Hay, Celebrity Q&A Examiner

There used to be a time when Penélope Cruz got more media attention for her personal life (include her past romances with Tom Cruise and Matthew McConaughey) than she did for her acting talent. But in 2008, the Spanish actress got some of the best reviews of her career so far, for her role in filmmaker Woody Allen’s dramedy "Vicky Cristina Barcelona." She received numerous accolades, including an Oscar nomination, for playing the character of Maria Elena, the passionate but emotionally disturbed ex-wife of Spanish painter Juan Antonio (Javier Bardem), who becomes involved in a love triangle with Juan Antonio and his American girlfriend, Cristina (Scarlett Johansson).

Cruz also earned praise for her role in the emotional drama "Elegy," in which he plays Consuela Castillo, a woman who falls in love with her commitment-phobic former professor, David Kepesh, played by Ben Kingsley. Cruz opened up about her experiences doing those two movies, as well as her next project: the big-screen version of the Tony-winning musical "Nine."

How did Woody Allen cast you in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"?

I didn’t call, probably my agent called the people that work with him in his office. They set up a meeting, and I had a meeting [with Woody Allen] in New York for one minute. He told me that he had seen "Volver," and he told me that he was writing a character … that he thought would be right for me. And then I didn’t know until a month later when somebody called and said, "Woody wants you to do the movie."

Your character in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" speaks in English and Spanish throughout her scenes in the movie. What kind of challenge was that for you?

Actually, it gave me great freedom, because Woody asked me to go back and forth between Spanish and English whenever I thought my character would choose to do that. Not every day, but in some of the scenes he would say that. Also to turn the dialogue around and use the words that I think Maria Elena would use ... So that felt like a big responsibility … I was swearing a lot [in Spanish], and I didn’t know if he was going to be too happy when he found out about some of the things that I said. But some of those bad words stayed there [in the final cut of the film].

You are a chameleon in many of your roles. How do you transform yourself?

I try to understand everything else about that character, but there’s a point when you have to decide how that character looks and you have to put yourself in a place where your ego doesn’t count. It’s whatever your character needs. For example, in a movie I did in Italy, "Don’t Move," it had to be a character that was a woman that was not pleasant to look at … If the character is described as attractive, you try to accomplish that … but I’m serving the character, not the other way around.

As a native of Spain, how would you describe the accuracy of how Barcelona life is portrayed in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"?

I love my country and I love my city. I love Barcelona. I don’t know it as much as Madrid, but Woody Allen portrayed one of the faces of the city, and he does it in a very beautiful way. He loves the city and he said, "My movie is a love letter to Barcelona." But nobody should see the movie expecting to see a documentary on Barcelona — especially people in my country. Woody decided to shoot it in Barcelona because it was very appropriate for the story and because Barcelona is extremely beautiful and attractive in many ways, but nobody should get too analytical about [it].

What was it like working with Woody Allen?

I was very excited to meet him, because I’ve seen all his movies, and I’m a huge admirer of his work as a director, as a writer, as an actor. All my groups of friends in Spain always talk about Woody. We think he’s the funniest guy in the world.

Woody doesn’t rehearse, not even two days, before the shooting. There are no rehearsals. But you don’t need that with him, because he plays with that … He knows the actors are going to feel that way and he knows that everything will go very fast. He shoots the movie in five weeks. And for me, that explains why the energy of all the characters in all of his movies is so alive. The characters feel like they are running out of time, in a way. Now I understand why, because I felt like that the whole time.

I think Woody is very clever. He does all of those things without you really knowing. He made all of us forget that we were doing a comedy. Everyone was taking things very seriously, and my character suffers a lot. And I thought I was doing the most serious drama, until I saw the movie with an audience in Cannes. And I thought, "What are they laughing about? This is very serous!" And then half an hour later I was like, "Of course!" Woody: that’s a genius. I really forgot [the movie was a comedy]. When I read the script, I laughed, but never again until I saw the movie with an audience.

There’s been so much hype about the kissing scene with you and Scarlett Johansson in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona." What was filming that scene like for you, and are you tired of being asked about it?

She says I don’t have a beard. That was funny. Every time I see her … we are talking about how many times we get asked that question. We don’t have any more funny stories to tell. We’re going to start lying and making up stories. The set was very crowded that day. Everyone had a reason to be there. But we don’t have any more stories. We will start lying.

Can you talk more about your role in "Elegy" and how it affected you?

I think David Kepesh can really see who Consuela is and that scares him even more. Because she’s 30 years younger but she can see that sometimes she’s the adult and he’s much more frightened than her about confronting important things inn life. He’s terrified about love, and I think Kingsley did an amazing performance. He’s one of my favorite actors … I don’t imagine anyone better to play Kepesh than Kingsley. And I don’t imagine a better director than Isabel Coixet to do that movie because she was very honest and she did the movie that she wanted to do and she fought for that. I really respect her … She was there 100% all the time. She was very passionate about the movie and I think she’s a great director.

How are things going for the movie musical "Nine"?

I’ve been taking lessons … We have a camp where you go from the dancing room to the singing room to the acting room to the dialect coach. I can’t wait. I am very excited about that.

Can you describe how you feel about acting?

I have always had a passion for acting. I feel every time [i do a role] it is a little study in human behavior, and there is always more to learn. And that is what’s so fascinating about acting. You can never get to the point where you feel like you know everything.

post-19430-0-1446024284-78628_thumb.jpg