Bellazon

Gonzalo Higuaín
Thumbnail

Chic_Raul_ista

Higuain set for back surgery

Gonzalo Higuain will require surgery to fix his long-standing back problem.

The 23-year-old has not played since suffering a herniated disc in November and, after consulting with several experts, Real Madrid's medical staff have now decided he must go under the knife.

A club statement read: "The persistence of pain and of the herniated disc moved experts to advise surgery as the next step.

"This decision has been accepted by the player, his family and the club.

"The conservative treatment has been good for the player's biomechanics.

"The work done till now will allow for an easier surgical procedure, better post-operational results and a shorter rehabilitation period.

"It has been agreed by all the aforementioned parties that a decision will be reached within the next 48 hours regarding the medical centre where the operation will take place and the surgeon who will perform it."

Madrid did not specify a timescale for the likely re

Higuain back surgery for next week

Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain will undergo his back operation next Tuesday in Chicago.

Higuain has been absent since November with a herniated disc and it was decided on Wednesday, after consulting with several experts, that he would go under the knife.

The operation will be performed by Dr Richard G Fessler at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, United States.

It is not known how long Higuain will be absent for but Madrid coach Jose Mourinho admitted he does not expect to have the Argentina international available again until near the end of the season.

Gonzalo Higuaín left for Chicago yesterday from Barajas with his parents, who in the end were able to obtain visas in time, and Carlos Díez, head of Sanitas-Madrid’s medical services team. Pipita spoke to the press at the airport, saying that he’s very thankful for all the support he’s received from his teammates and the club (“FP and JV have helped me from the first moment”), and that he has a lot of desire to return to playing football and will try to return as quickly as possible because he knows the team needs him. Pipita also revealed that there’s no exact date for his return, and asked for patience.

The group will meet today with Dr. Richard Fessler, who will perform the operation. They’ll stay in Chicago until Jan. 18.

Pipita also showed off a new quilted jacket, this one in red! He left Madrid wearing black and appeared in Chicago wearing red, since it was considerably colder in the U.S. than in Spain.

I Will Try To Return To Action As Soon As Possible - Real Madrid Striker Gonzalo Higuain

Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain hopes to return from injury as soon as possible to help the team.

Find the best odds and bet on La Liga.

Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain has arrived in Chicago ahead of surgery on his back problem, and issued a pledge to the club’s followers that he will do everything possible to return to action soon.

The Argentine’s injury has left Los Blancos with just one recognised first team striker in the form of Karim Benzema, and club president Florentino Perez has reportedly ruled out any new additions in January.

Speaking upon his arrival in Illinois, ‘Pipita’ said of his condition: “There is now only one forward in the team, and I will try to return as soon as possible because it is necessary to help the team, but to also to take care of my body. Before football, I am a person.

“I made the decision to have the operation and this is for the greater good. I need to think of my future of many years in football. I have really wanted to do this.”

Higuain also stressed his anticipation at returning to help the team, saying: “I hope all goes well. I am excited to return and help the team. I have to work. There is no exact date for the return but I am calm and I must be patient.

“I think I will get everything right. I am a positive person. I always look forward.

Gonzalo Higuain Thanks Real Madrid For Support But Forgets To Mention Jose Mourinho

Early signs of tension between Real Madrid duo Jose Mourinho and Gonzalo Higuain emerge over injury questions...

Gonzalo Higuain thanked everyone apart from Jose Mourinho for the support he has received during his Real Madrid injury woes.

Higuain flew out to Chicago on Saturday to undergo surgery on a herniated disc in his back, and while he offered words of comfort, there was no mention of Mourinho.

Reports claim Higuain is annoyed with the coach after he suggested that the striker was convinced not to have the surgery earlier.

"I have received plenty of support from my colleagues here," Higuain told Marca as he left for America. "The president Florentino Perez and Jorge Valdano have also been good to me. I thank them because from day one they have always helped me."

Some have suggested that the Argentine could be back playing before the end of term, but the hitman is staying calm.

"There is no exact date for my return, but we must remain tranquil and patient."

Support for Higuain

Realmadrid.com

Gonzalo Higuain will have surgery on Tuesday 11 January to repair a herniated disc. In a show of support for the Madridista striker, his teammates will step onto the pitch prior to kickoff against Villarreal on Sunday with shirts reading: "Animo Pipa, recuperate pronto" (Stay strong Pipa. Get well soon).

via unamadridista

Today is the day of Gonzalo Higuaín’s operation at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Yesterday, he met with Dr. Richard Fessler for the first time, and passed all pre-operation tests satisfactorily, which took about three to four hours.

All information regarding the operation, including the obligatory medical report that Dr. Fessler will write up once the intervention is realized, will be filtered through Real Madrid’s medical team. The report is expected to include how the process went, as well as recovery time.

Pipita also received a call from his ex-coach Diego Maradona yesterday, who wished him luck and gave him his support. In addition, he caught a basketball game, between the Bulls and the Pistons.

Pipita’s surgery has been moved up and he’s scheduled to be operated on at 08h local time (15h in Spain).

2011-01-10higuain03.jpg

Higuain undergoes successful surgery :hug::clap:

Gonzalo Higuain underwent surgery on Tuesday at Chicago's Northwestern Memorial Hospital. The operation was carried out by Dr. Richard G. Fessler, M.D. (Chief of the Department of Neurosurgery), and consisted on an endoscopic disectomy on the L-4 L-5 disc herniation. He was assisted by Dr. Carlos Diez, Head of the Sanitas-Real Madrid Medical Services, and Argentine national team M.D. Dr. Daniel Armando Martinez.

The player will spend the night in hospital, where his clinical progress will be monitored. He will be discharged on Wednesday.

(via realmadrid.com)

Higuain faces long injury lay-off

Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain is set to be out for three to four months, says the doctor who operated on his back.

Higuain, 23, has been sidelined since November with a herniated disc and he went under the knife on Tuesday at the Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, United States.

Dr Richard Fessler, who performed the surgery, was quoted as saying by the Spanish press: "The operation went very well. I have no doubt that in between two and four weeks he will be able to run without problems, then in a period of 10 weeks after the operation he will be able to take part with the rest of his teams in all types of work.

"If everything goes well, in three months he could be playing competitively, although it's also possible it could be four."

"Once you have a back problem, sometimes you will have pain and other times you won't. I think that he's going to have that, but not sufficiently strong as to affect him. All the American football and basketball players have returned to play at 100%."

Fessler added that to recover 100% from any operation takes a year.

It remains to be seen if Higuain will be able to play any part in the current campaign for Madrid, with the Primera Division season scheduled to finish on the weekend of May 22 and the Champions League final, if Jose Mourinho's men get that far, to be played on May 28.

Higuain was Madrid's leading scorer in La Liga in the last two seasons and had netted seven times in this campaign before being sidelined.

in Chicago, Gonzalo Higuaín will meet with Dr. Fessler on Wednesday (the doctor had a fully booked schedule on Tuesday and couldn’t fit Gonzalo in). If he passes the tests, then he can return to Madrid on Thursday. Pipita is feeling much better and has spent the last week resting in the hotel, and taking walks in the morning and afternoon.

Pipita’s back (in Madrid)

January 20, 2011

tags: higuaín

by unamadridista

It looks like poor Pipita already had to report to Valdebebas, despite arriving in Madrid only earlier this morning. He sat down to chat with the team’s web site and TV channel, and this is what he had to say.

On how he feels: I feel a complete relief in my head and in my body. I’m feeling more upbeat and feel that I can face anything now. I don’t know how much time I’ll need to return to playing, but I’m very happy and eager to start the recovery process.

On the operation: the doctors had told me that I could leave the hospital on my own feet, and wanted to send me back to the hotel on the same day. But we decided to spend the night there as a precaution. On the day that I left the hospital, I started walking around Chicago and I could walk hours and hours because the happiness I had from things going well made me forget everything else.

On the support from his teammates and fans: I get emotional when I think about my teammates wearing the t-shirt supporting me. I sent them all a message of thanks. I’ve received a lot of messages of support from the web site and from different social networks. It makes me proud not only as a player but also as a person. I have so much happiness that I’m sure that everything will turn out great.

On being appreciated as a footballer and a person: no one remembers the titles you won when you retire from football, they remember if you were a good person and that’s the most important thing for me. Obviously, my job is to play football and win titles. But if you’re not a good person, you can’t enjoy that. And that’s something that I value a lot, something that my family and Real Madrid taught me. I was educated well and my family and friend have always helped me to see things realistically.

On wanting to play: I can’t explain how much I want to play. If being on the bench is hard enough, imagine having to watch all the games from the stands for months. But, that’s what I have to do now and I have the mental strength to overcome these things. I hope to get the best out of this situation.

After returning from Chicago, where he underwent surgery to repair a herniated disc, Gonzalo Higuian sat down with Real Madrid TV and Realmadrid.com for his first interview back in the Spanish capital.

Welcome home. How do you feel a little over a week since the operation?

I feel very relieved, which makes me a more positive person and more upbeat for what is to come. I don’t know how long it will be before I am playing again, but I am happy and anxious to begin the recovery process.

Did you think the surgery would go so quickly?

The doctors told me I would leave the hospital on my own two feet. They wanted to send me back to the hotel right after the surgery in fact, but for precautionary reasons I stayed put for a night. They day I left I walked around Chicago for hours and hours because I was so happy that everything went well.

Did you get a good sense of all the support sent your way by teammates and fans?

I got emotional when I saw my teammates walk onto the pitch with supportive t-shirts on. I sent them all a special message. I haven’t stopped receiving messages of support, especially from Realmadrid.com and other social media sites. I am honored as both a player and person. I am sure everything will turn out well.

That’s just the attitude you need during the recovery process.

It’s exactly what the doctors told me. Step by step. We must be cautious. I am young and have a lot of years of football ahead of me. I would be lying if I told you I didn’t want to return as soon as possible. But it was a delicate operation and I need to return to the best possible shape. I am grateful to the club for all its help. I hope to return before season’s end.

What was it like to have to stop playing at the moment you were peaking?

It was vey hard. I had worked so hard to earn my spot, and when I felt the pain I just wanted to play through it. I just didn’t know when to stop because I love playing. You learn from your mistakes, though, and now I know to speak up when something hurts. No one expected this. I will always remember this surgery, but I am sure everything will be okay. I am more excited than ever.

Why did you put up with so much pain?

Because of pride and wanting to help the team and play in the Clasico. I spoke to the coach the day before the Barcelona match, but I wasn’t able to play. I was sad. But then I received a ton of messages of support and things got better. I must thank everyone; the club, the Argentine national team who sent the doctor to see me, Florentino, Jorge Valdano, my teammates...

It became clear that people like you for who you are as a person, not just a player.

No one remembers the titles you won after your retire. They remember if you were a good person, and that is so important to me. My job is obviously to play football and win titles, but you can’t share those titles with anyone if you aren’t a good person. It’s something I learned from my family and from Real Madrid. I received a good education and everyone around me always taught me to see things from a realistic perspective.

Do you dream about playing when you are asleep?

I can’t tell you how anxious I am to play again. If watching from the bench isn’t fun, imagine what it is like to watch from the stands for months. But that’s what I must do and I am strong enough to do it. I need to make the best of the situation.

Have you thought about the day you set foot on the Bernabeu turf?

I would rather not think about that day. I can’t be worried about it. It has crossed my mind, but I must first work very hard, be prudent and remain happy for what’s to come.

The best way you can help your team now is by making a full recovery.

Exactly. The support I am receiving is playing a key role in me making my return as quickly as I can.

• 4 weeks later...