Bellazon

Gonzalo Higuaín
Thumbnail

Chic_Raul_ista

Higuain begins comeback from injury

Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain recovery from back surgery progressed as he took to the pitch for some training.

Higuain has been sidelined since November due to a herniated disc, for which he went under the knife in the United States in January.

A statement on the club`s website said: "The striker worked out on the pitch today [Wednesday] for the first time since his surgery and did ball work.

"Higuain will be subjected to diagnostic tests in the coming weeks prior to starting the stage in which he will gradually rejoin the squad."

The doctor who performed the surgery, Dr Richard Fessler, said at the time the 23-year-old Argentina international was likely to be sidelined for up to four months and would not be 100% recovered for a year.

It remains to be seen if Higuain will be able to play any part in the current campaign for Madrid, with the Primera Division season scheduled to finish on the weekend of May 22 and the Champions League final, if Jose Mourinho's men get that far, to be played on May 28.

Higuain was Madrid's leading scorer in La Liga in the last two seasons and had netted seven times in this campaign before being sidelined.

"I'm very grateful for the support that I've received from the club, the medical staff and my teammates"

source: Realmadrid.com

Gonzalo Higuain sat down with RealmadridTV to talk about his injury, the recovery process he's undergoing and his dreams for the future.

The Climb by Miley Cyrus talks about fulfilling a dream through hard work and perseverance. It’s your favourite song, isn’t it?

Yes, I heard it a few weeks ago and then read the translation in Spanish. I identify with it because it's about overcoming obstacles and that's what I've had to do ever since I signed for Real Madrid. I've had to work hard to get to where I am today. I hope that I continue to improve and fulfill my objectives at the club.

Would you say that becoming a Real Madrid idol has been a tough climb?

Yes, I've had to climb a lot of stairs, some easier than others. Fortunately, I've had the support of my family, friends, the club and the fans. I'm very proud of what I've become but I know that I still need to improve in order to achieve everything that I want to achieve.

Your dream right now is to play for Real Madrid again, isn’t it?

Yes, without a doubt. Luckily, I've already accomplished a lot of my objectives. Right now, all I want to do is to defend Real Madrid's colours again and to enjoy a sport that means so much to me. Hopefully that’ll happen soon.

What do you think your first game back will be like? You've told me before that you hope it’ll be at the Santiago Bernabeu…

Of course I do. Every player dreams of playing their first game back after injury at their own stadium and to be greeted by their fans. I hope it turns out that way. I'm working hard towards returning to the Santiago Bernabeu and I'm very grateful for the support that I've received from the club, the medical staff and my teammates. The support that I get whenever I go to the stadium gives me strength to continue working hard.

What's the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to you when you’ve gone back to the Santiago Bernabeu to watch your teammates play?

To be honest, it's difficult to pick just one because I've received so much affection from fans, and not just from Madridistas. That tells me that not only am I doing my job well but that people appreciate me as a person too. I haven't received any negative comments and that makes me very happy. I only hope that I can return the favour once I start playing again.

How do you think you’ll feel when you finally do return to a standing ovation at the Santiago Bernabeu?

I've thought about that a lot. Only the other day someone was telling me that rehabilitation seems shorter when you have a clear objective. Thinking about returning, how I’ll celebrate my first goal, and how I’ll be welcomed back by the fans helps me both psychologically and physically. I'm very happy with my rehabilitation, but I have to take it one day at a time.