Bellazon

Gonzalo Higuaín
Thumbnail

Chic_Raul_ista

Pipita gave an interview to AS and spoke about his form, Madrid and the game against Valencia plus his partnership upfront with Karim and how he is gunning for the Pichichi this year

Are you the starting striker of Real Madrid?

No, I'm just another player on the squad.

I wish to congratulate you for the goals you scored against Valencia.

Thank you. The truth is i'm having my best moment since I arrived at Real Madrid. I feel comfortable and I'm enjoying myself. I have great confidence in what we do and in myself.

Was the match against Valencia the best the team's had this season?

We believe so, especially because the match in itself was very important. We distanced ourselves from a direct opponent and we beat them when things got tough.

It also helped you to keep Barcelona in check. How did the squad celebrate the victory?

We took it as a vital victory, just like all the rest we've earned this season.

You once told us you understood Benzema's difficult situation because you went through something similar. How did you understand each other against Valencia?

It was phenomenal. We pulled off several plays with one or two toches on ball together. We both did well in defence. We must now pull it off again.

Were you happy for him?

Of course. I'm always glad for my team-mates. I am very gretful for the assist he served me.

You gave him a hug.

The goal belonged to both of us. Against Valencia, Karim proved to have adapted to the team. He is doing a great job. I believe the work we did in the first defensive line was very important. The coach has stressed the importance of defending there.

After the game, Xabi Alonso said the team attacks better when it defends well.

Our performances are growing increasingly solid. We are gradually reaching the style Pellegrini wants. We play a straightforward game that damages our opponents. In Valencia we only faltered in the opening 20 minutes.

You've scored seven goals in the six consecutive games you've started.

I've always said I had a hard start at Real Madrid. Maybe that's why I always try to play my best game. I enjoy playing as a striker on this team, something I haven't been able to do always because of the necessities the team has had in the past. I have to take advantage of every chance I get.

How many goals would you like to score this season?

I scored 22 last season and I would like to net more this year. The progress that implies is important to me. I am young and I can still improve.

Would you like to win the Pichichi Trophy?

It would be a dream come true, but I'm only interested if it comes with a league title as well. There are quality strikers in Spain, starting with Villa, who has already scored 12 goals.

Cristiano is also a great goal-scorer. Do Real Madrid play equally well without him?

He is a very important player, but we've proven we can play well without him too. We did so in the past and against Valencia.

Do you think the team may be relaxed against Zaragoza?

It will be the most important game to date because winning would leave us just two points behind Barcelona before the holidays, which is essential to keep fighting to win the league title

With the arrivals of Ronaldo, Benzema and Kaká, did you think you would get a place in the starting XI? Personally I think you are in the best form of your career. Is that fair?

Raymond Asare

Gonzalo Higuaín: Well, this is Madrid and the club always tries to be the best, so you know the best players will keep coming. I knew this before coming here and I never complain. I fight every day to be in the first XI and never give up, but I also understand there is a team and a coach who will pick the players to help the club win every week. If I'm one of them, then I try to give everything for the team.

Can this team reach the heights of the Madrid side with Ronaldo and Zidane in the early 2000s?

Mpho Rapudubudu, South Africa

Higuaín: I don't like comparisons. No one can doubt or question how well the 2000 Madrid team played and what it meant to the club to have players like Ronaldo, Raúl, Zidane, Figo or Makelele. They won the Champions League and we have not, but we are striving to do 'the impossible' and win and earn a place in history just like they did.