Bellazon

Guti
Thumbnail

Nicole

Celta vs. Real Madrid

GOALKEEPERS: Iker Casillas, Diego López & Kiko Casilla.

DEFENDERS: Michel Salgado, Iván Helguera, Mejía, Pavón, Marcelo, Cicinho, Torres & Ramos.

MIDFIELDERS: Emerson, Diarra, Guti, Gago, Robinho & Raúl.

FORWARDS: Van Nistelrooy, Cassano & Higuaín.

Celta Vigo 1: Pinto; Ángel, Lequi, Contreras, Placente; Nené, Iriney, Oubiña, Gustavo López (Antonio Núñez, 69’); Baiano & Bamogo (Perera, 74’).

Real Madrid 2: Casillas; Salgado (Mejía, 85’), Ramos, Helguera, Torres; Diarra, Gago (Emerson, 74’), Guti; Raúl (Robinho, 61’), Higuaín & Van Nistelrooy.

Referee: Pérez Burrull. Booked Gago (20’), Pinto (26’), Ángel (28’), Iriney (35’), Salgado (64’), Diarra (68’), Robinho (83’), Núñez (85’), Helguera (89’). Guti was sent off in the 90th minute with a double booking.

Goals:

0-1, 26’: Van Nistelrooy, from a penalty.

1-1, 44’: Nené assists Ángel with a heel-pass and the latter scores.

1-2, 83’: Robinho scores a header.

Highlights: Matchday 28 of La Liga. Venue: Balaídos Stadium. Attendance: 24,000. Real Madrid wore black wristbands in mourning for the death of the daughter of former legendary Real Madrid player Santamaría.

"We're for Zaragoza on Saturday"

Guti: "We can make up the five points; We have to win the League for the fans"

Real Madrid's second captain, José Mª Gutiérrez ‘Guti’, analysed the team's current situation and the mathematical possibilites of being crowned as League champions. In an interview published by Spanish sports daily AS, Madrid's number '14' recognised that it took him "longer than the rest to be appreciated," but that the circumstance only motivated him "to work hard." Guti also added that he needs to "score more" to be seen as a great player.

You were sent off in Vigo? Was the red card fair?

Not at all. It was too much. The first yellow was going a little overboard. I dribbled around Lequi and made contact with him. Even though I did exaggerate the fall, he got up and recognised that he touched me. Enough for a penalty in my opinion.

And the second yellow? What happened?

That one definitely wasn't fair. What happens now is that you can't say anything at all to referees, not even a word. I tried to explain to Pérez Burrull that he made a mistake and I told him that Lequi even admitted to it, but he sent me off without saying a word.

Do you regret having gone to talk to the referee?

They can't send you off for talking. Iturralde González should be the example to follow. Playing when he is officiating is great because he gets so involved in it. He understands players and talks to them. Sometimes he makes mistakes, other times it's the players, and nothing happens.

But these sendings offs are not new for you.

I know my strong character has gotten the better of me a few times, but that's just me and I can't change it. I repeat, I didn't do anything to deserve it this time.

You also had a discussion with Robinho. Why?

That's typical in a game. I tried to motivate him and let him know that we all had to be more focused, but there's no problem between us.

Look at everything that Madrid has gone through, and yet you are still alive in the League!

That's it. Everyone thought we were goners, but we can still win. This can be a key week for us to cut into Barça's lead, although Osasuna are a very tough rival for us ad they are hard to beat. We're for Zaragoza on Saturday.

Does the team have reason to believe that you can win?

Yes. It's true we don't always play like we like to, but the reality of it is that we can make up the five points.

What do you think about the fans' push to support the team?

Feeling their support is always important. I think the fans have been the only ones to step up to the plate over these years that we haven't won a title. That why we have to win the League just for them.

So all the criticism has been just?

Some yes. That which has reasoning behind it. But the team has also been disrespected at times.

Capello has taken the brunt of a lot of it. Has he changed a lot from the coach he was 10 years ago?

He still has the same ideas and the same style of playing, but he is up to date. We all change.

You too?

A lot. I was just a kid recently 'graduated' from the youth team and who still had a lot to learn during Capello's first stint here. Now I'm totally developed.

Ten years ago, you told AS that Capello was the best coach in Europe. Do you still stand by your words?

Absolutely. Doubting him is useless because he's got a brilliant CV.

Did you think you would be a starter when Fabio arrived?

I thought it might be complicated because my previous experience with him wasn't that great. I benefitted from the arrival of Diarra and Emerson. I now have other jobs to do on the pitch and I feel needed. Capello, along with Del Bosque, are the to coaches who have understood me the most.

You had a confrontation with Capello at Valdebebas.

No way. We were debating, which is not the same as arguing. It's happened between you and your bosses, hasn't it?

So, you have forgiven him for benchin you in Munich?

You only forgive when something really bad has happened. I was surprised to find myself on the bench that day, but Capello's only intention was to do the best for the team. That's why I respected his decision.

But it was a big blow for you. What were you thinking?

I was pretty up-tight because it's tough to be on the bench and not able to help your team. It was the low point of the season for me. The goal we conceeded in 10 seconds was a huge blow, although the tie began going their way with Van Bommel's goal at the Bernabéu.

Have some of Capello's decisions, like Cassano and Beckham coming and going, hurt the team?

These small things hurt a little. There have been many issues this year so, of course, it's hard for things to turn out well.

Did he mess up with Ronaldo?

That's his business. But he could have gotten a lot more out of him. There's no doubt he's one of the forwards who has understood me the most. Some have said that he's done, but he is unique. He'll prove it.

Are Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaká good enough to be able to forget about Ronie?

It's hard to replace him, but only they are at his level. Cristiano and Kaká are two of the best in the world right now.

Back to you. Do you finally feel undisputed?

Important yes, but not undisputed. It's taken me longer than the rest to be appreciated, but it always motivated me to work hard. It's not easy to find a spot when you have players like Ronie, Zidane or Figo next to you.

Why did the team paint one picture in Barcelona and a totally different one throughout the rest of the year?

When you play such an important match and you do it well, it's got a lot of significance, but we always come out intending to play like we did in Barcelona. We like playing Barça because they give us a lot of space. We've had trouble carrying the burden of responsibilty during matches this season. We have to take advantage of our fans' support. The League depends on us being strong at the Bernabéu.

Do you feel the affection of the Bernabéu?

Yes. I've been whistled at before because players like me are always in the eye of the hurricane when things go bad and we aren't completing our passes.

What has changed since the arrival of Calderón and Mijatovic?

Madrid has changed circle. They are working hard to improve things, but they still have a long way to go. A team isn't built in one season, and neither is a candidacy.

Did you accept Calderón's apology after his heated words at the University?

What he said hurt, but it's not about forgiving and forgetting. I already told him what I thought face to face, which is how things should be done. It's been taken care of.

There were problems when it came to renewing your contract. Did you see yourself no longer playing for Madrid?

Yes, but Calderón and Mijatovic knew what they wanted. I could have earned more elsewhere, but I came out of the youth system here and this will always be my home.

And what do you think about kids like Mata accepting juicy outside offers?

I would do everything possible to make sure my best players didn't leave if I was a directory. But knowing where the limit is is hard. You also have to understand where the kids are coming from because they just want to progress. Juanfran, Jurado, Arbeloa and Soldado could have all easily played here.

What aspect of your sports career would you change if you could?

My head. My football could have been different had I known all that I do now. Even so, I don't have any regrets.

What have you lacked that would make you be seen as one of the great footballers?

Scoring more. My dad always tells me I need to shoot more after games. It's instinctive: I always think about giving the last pass.

And how do you think fans will remember you?

As a Club player that gave his heart and soul to Madrid.

Does it hurt to look back on the three Champions League finals which you didn't play in?

It's a thorn in my side, but I feel I participated in those titles because I played a lot. I am consoled by the fact that I can win more titles and be a starter in more finals.

Is it true that you didn't watch Spain in their recent matches?

Some people got mad. I always want Spain to win, but I know that with that guy (Aragonés) in chargem I will never play for the national team again. It's also hard because my position is covered by players like Iniesta and Xavi.

Real Madrid's Guti: I could've made more money elsewhere

tribalfooball.com - April 05, 2007

Guti has played down an on-field row with Real Madrid teammate Robinho during Sunday's victory at Celta Vigo.

The midfield pair clashed before Guti was sent-off in the 2-1 win, but the Spaniard insisted: "This is normal during games. I was just trying to motivate him, urging him to stay focused. It was no problem."

Guti also revealed he was close to leaving Real before he renewed his contract last year.

"Yes, I was close," said the midfielder. "But the Real leadership convinced me to stay. I could have made more money going to another club. But I come from the juniors and for this reason this club will always be my home."