Bellazon

Natalie Ludwig
Thumbnail

Mahi

VOGUE.COM

Natalie Ludwig: From Dartmouth to Dolce & Gabbana

FEBRUARY 29, 2016 6:12 PMby JANELLE OKWODU

Fashion month’s rigors can prove difficult for even the most dedicated of models, but imagine finishing up Milan and Paris and then heading home to work on your finals. As both a Dartmouth student and one of the busiest models of the season, Natalie Ludwig makes the balancing act look like a piece of cake. Debuting on the runway as aGivenchy exclusive during Riccardo Tisci’s Spring collection, Ludwig has gone on to become one of the stars of the Fall shows, appearing on the catwalk at Dolce & Gabbana, Emilio Pucci, Burberry, and Ralph Lauren. After seasons of arresting yet off-kilter beauties, Ludwig’s classic appeal feels impactful—so much so that even supermodel Naomi Campbell took to social media to give her a Fashion Week shout-out. For her part, the model is still adjusting to all the attention. “I’m still so new to all of this, so everything I do and see is special,” says Ludwig. “I’ve always dreamed of working with the best designers, and I feel so lucky to be doing that this season.”

While many models often choose to postpone college in favor of fashion, for Ludwig, that was never an option. “It’s not easy, but I really want to get my degree,” she says. “I alternate between terms [spent] at Dartmouth and terms modeling, and I just try to stay on top of both.” She is majoring in sociology, and her studies focus on serious issues that tap into her passion for politics and have resonance far beyond the fashion field. “[My focus is] primarily the study of cultural movements, gender inequality, political corruption, and health disparities,” says Ludwig. “So really light stuff!”

Hailing from Vancouver, Ludwig is part of a creative family with cinematic roots—her mom, Sharlene, is a former actress; her dad, Harald, is on the board of Lionsgate; and her brother, Alexander, appears in the Hunger Gamesseries. Given her Hollywood connections, one might expect Ludwig to take acting over a career on the catwalk, but she has always felt the freedom to choose her path. “My family encourages me to follow my heart despite the odds,” says Ludwig. “My brother always taught me to step out of my comfort zone and not take myself too seriously.”

Modeling has provided Ludwig with several opportunities to let loose, especially when she’s working on set with a photographer. “I love transforming myself into different characters for every shoot,” says Ludwig. “It has helped me understand who I am, and encourages me to push my limits creatively and freely.” Working with Tisci and watching him put the final touches on his collection also proved educational. “It was an honor—I felt very inspired to be surrounded by such unbelievable talent,” she adds.

Ludwig’s down-to-earth charms have helped her get the attention of several other fashion insiders, but it was a glowing endorsement from Campbell that took the cake. As anyone who has seen an episode of The Face can attest, Campbell doesn’t give compliments lightly, so when she took to Instagram to congratulate Ludwig post-Burberry it was a special moment.. “[I was] grateful and honored,” says Ludwig. “She’s been such a huge supporter, and I feel so fortunate to have her as a friend.” With less than two more weeks left in the Fall 2016 season, we’re willing to bet that Ludwig will have many more friends singing her praises soon enough.