• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
post-20251-0-1446070588-07068_thumb.jpg

Douglas John Booth (born 9 July 1992) is an English actor. Booth rose to prominence following his portrayal of Boy George in the BBC Two television drama Worried About the Boy. He has more recently appeared in Christopher and His Kind. He has been cast, opposite Hailee Steinfeld, in the role of Romeo in Carlo Carlei's upcoming film adaptation of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

Booth was born in London, England, the son of Vivien, an artist, and a father who works in shipping for Citigroup. His father is of English descent and his mother is of half Spanish and half Dutch ancestry.

In an interview with Vogue magazine, Booth reflected on his struggle with dyslexia, stating, "I struggled with dyslexia when I was young, so I knew that whatever I did it wouldn't be academic. Then playing Agamemnon - well, at the age of 12 - I thought 'I rather like being the centre of attention', this is where I want to be."

As a model, Booth has appeared in several campaigns for the luxury English label Burberry, including those alongside Emma Watson and Lily Donaldson. He played the role of Pip in the BBC One adaptation of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations broadcast in December 2011. In June 2012, he was confirmed for the role of Shem in Darren Aronofsky's Noah.

ACTOR DOUGLAS BOOTH GOES OFF HIS SCRIPT

BY JAVIER ESPINOZA

WALL STREET JOURNAL

December 16, 2011

The British actor talks to The Wall Street Journal Europe about how he starts his weekend.

At just 19 years old, English actor Douglas Booth has been lauded for his portrayal of Boy George in the BBC TV drama "Worried About the Boy." For Christmas, he will star as Pip in the BBC's new adaptation of Dickens's "Great Expectations," with Ray Winstone, Gillian Anderson and David Suchet.
post-20251-0-1446070592-49609_thumb.jpg

FilmMagic

English actor Douglas Booth

"Pip is such an amazing character and he has such an interesting journey," Mr. Booth says of his role. "He goes from having nothing but everything to having everything but actually nothing. It's a rollercoaster ride and it's such a great love story. It was a journey that most scripts don't really provide these days."

Next year, he will play Romeo alongside actress Hailee Steinfeld in Julian Fellowes's film adaptation of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

"It's quite a daunting prospect, especially after the actor who played the last Romeo was Leonardo DiCaprio," he says, adding that he selects his roles carefully. "It's important to read as much as you can because you never know when you will find the best script that you want to do next. I'm always quite picky in what I read and what I go for."

When Mr. Booth isn't acting, the Londoner likes to go clubbing with friends, spend time with his girlfriend, catch up on the latest films or just read a good book.

How does your weekend start?

The weekend is sometimes a couple of days you can't pin down. But I do acknowledge the weekend. On a Friday night, I like to go out because my friends, who have been working normal hours, just want to let go after a stressful week at work. We often go for dinner and then drinks. Or we go clubbing.

Where do you go for dinner?

One of my favorites is Nobu on Berkeley Street. If we just want more casual dinner, we sometimes just go to Shoreditch House [a private members' club] because you can then go to the roof and have cocktails there.

What do you look for in a club?

I don't like it when the club is too busy. I need a place to chill out on my own, a place where you can sit down and be able to drink and then get involved in the action when you want to. But don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't like crowds. I'm a huge festival fan. I love to dance and dance all night long.

What sort of music are you into?

I like everything. I'm literally into any type of music imaginable.

What's your Saturday like?

I like to wake up late, around 11 a.m., especially if I have been out the night before. Then I go to brunch with either my friends or my girlfriend. I then like to just chill out: read the papers, read some scripts and then take it very easy. If it's sunny, I go for a walk with my dog, Niles, in the countryside. He's named after Niles Crane in 'Frasier.'

Near where I live in London, there's a really nice place called the Garrison. Brunch there is good, but if I don't go there, I also like the Wolseley. It's my favorite.

Or I sometimes stay with my girlfriend just cooking brunch, which is just as nice. I like to cook when I have time. I only have a few meals written down so I need to explore.

What's on the menu after brunch?

If I am not in London, I often go walking in Kent, where I have a house. Otherwise I just read or go to the movies whenever I'm free. I go to the cinema and catch up on all the films that have been released that week. If I can, I love to go to the theater in the evening. I try to see as much as I can. I love drama. I'm not much of a romcom fan though it can be nice [to watch] with the other half.

What would you do if you had more free time?

Reading would be lovely. For the moment, whenever I read, it is normally scripts. You start a book and then you think I should be reading these five scripts. A chance to spend a little bit more time with my friends would be lovely or have my friends in one place at a time because everyone is scattered around.

In a perfect situation, if I had more time I would just go on holiday. I am huge water-sports fan. I love to jet ski, speedboat, water ski. So I love to get away to somewhere sunny and just get on the water and have some fun with some friends.

DOUGLAS BOOTH: BORN TO BE AN ACTOR

BY DENISE MARRAY

WEEKEND REVIEW

March 7, 2013

post-20251-0-1446070593-21222_thumb.jpg

Douglas Booth likes being in London — walking down ‘the streets that Charles Dickens walked down’

What is charisma — that makes someone watchable on screen? It is hard to define and cannot be taught or acquired but when a person has it, it is instantly recognisable. The young British actor, Douglas Booth, must have been born under a lucky star because he has that unusual package of good looks, talent and charisma that has top film agents reaching for their phones. Our meeting takes place in the office of his London agent, Curtis Brown; he has just finished filming in New York and Iceland for Darren Aronofsky’s “Noah” alongside a star-studded cast of Russell Crowe, Emma Watson, Jennifer Connelly, Anthony Hopkins and Ray Winstone. Booth plays the part of Shem, Noah’s (Crowe’s) eldest son.

He has also recently starred as Romeo in “Romeo and Juliet” directed by Carlo Carlei and adapted by Julian Fellowes (of “Downton Abbey” fame). Both films have yet to hit our screens but when they do he looks set to join the exclusive club of actors instantly recognisable around the globe.