Bellazon

Sami Khedira
Thumbnail

Gonzalez Girl

Khedira eyes goals and silverware

Real Madrid new boy Sami Khedira is backing himself to find the goals that will fire his side to success this season.

Khedira, who signed for the Spanish giants from VfB Stuttgart following this summer's FIFA World Cup, has yet to score since his move to the Bernabeu, but feels that his lean streak is set to come to an end sooner rather than later.

"I am sure I will score soon," the 23-year-old told Real's official website.

"I have had chances to score but was unlucky. I come closer to netting a strike each day. I've analysed my team-mates on the pitch, which (I hope) will help me score."

Khedira is hoping that his barren spell will become a thing of the past on Saturday evening when Real travel to Alicante for a match against Hercules.

With Jose Mourinho's men currently topping the La Liga standings, many observers are saying that they are the team to beat this season.

Whilst admitting that Los Blancos have a decent chance of capturing some silveware this campaign, Khedira is purely focused on taking one game at a time.

"We have a good chance to win titles this season," the midfielder said.

"If we play well as a team we will have chances to win in Alicante.

"We know our match against Hercules will be difficult. We faced them in the pre-season. They are dangerous and strong in attack.

"They have [Nelson] Valdez, whom I knew in the Bundesliga, and [David] Trezeguet, who always finds room in which to score."

Real's nearest title rivals are currently Villarreal and Barcelona. The chasing duo tackle Sevilla and Sporting Gijon respectively this weekend.

post-34297-0-1445991615-2788_thumb.jpg

Why was it difficult to fit into the team at the beginning?

A little because of the language. Now the communication with the coach is impeccable and I know exactly what he wants. I am working with a german company that has a new method of teaching the castilian language. I am working several hours a day learning the language. Breakfast, lunch, after practice. We do things together, and like that I am learning faster. Another difficulty was the difference between spanish football, which is faster, and german football.

What does Mourinho expect from you?

He expects from me to build a major axis with Xabi. It is difficult to explain the exact function. It is necessary to build a strong axis, to play and to defend without spaces, so that the team is always together. A good defense wins titles.

Xabi, a high quality player, plays more behind than you. Should it not be the other way round?

Xabi and I complement each other perfectly. He is excellent, very precise in passing and with a great shot from 25 meters. But the very moment there is a gap in the match, I know I have to be there and go for it. And this also happens the other way round. In fact, we both have the same functions. We are depending on each other. It's like a match inside a match.

So you complement each other well?

The communication goes from good to better. Our movements have been automated and everyone knows, what to do and when and where we have to be. I always followed Xabi's matches in the Champions League. He is a great strategist in the field, intelligent and a fighter, someone I can learn a lot from. He has everything, a great football player needs to have.

How did you get to know that Real wanted you?

My agent informed me.

It was a surprise, that you have been visiting Mourinho in Valdebebas, being still a player of Stuttgart. How did this happen?

It's a secret! Through the back-door (laughs). I still had not started my vacation and Mourinho had already contacted me by SMS. I was intrigued to know, what he wanted of me.

How was the conversation?

It was short. He convinced me in three minutes!

Love at first sight?

Indeed, (laughs). He was very compelling.

Was the locker room at Madrid what you expected?

Everything is bigger and more pompous than in Stuttgart. I was impressed. It is more professional and pleasant. And there's a great atmosphere. I prepared myself mentally to the fact, that I was going to play with some of the stars of Spain. Then, when I arrived, I found a great family.

Who was the great example of your childhood?

There was only one. Zidane.

When did you see him playing the first time?

In the World Cup 98. I was 11. That was a great team. And there I saw, how genuine he was.

And your first memories of Real Madrid?

When I saw them at the 2002 Champions League final against Leverkusen. Although Real was always present in my life, like in that of all children. The information generated in Germany is constant.

How did you feel when they were comparing you to Ballack?

Ballack was injured before the World Cup. It was bad luck, especially because he is the captain. It can happen to everybody. I wanted people to see me, present myself to the world. And I knew this was my opportunity. I did not try to imitate him, only to complement him with my style.

Did Germany need to ignore Ballack, as Spain did with Raul, to step forward?

(Thinks) Cases were different! Ballack was injured. The thing about Raul was, that there were younger players. Maybe it looks like it, that Ballack will not play anymore, but this is not the case. He is still our captain. The sport sometimes is like that, when a player is not well, the spectacle must still continue...

What did it for Germany, that the National Team is so young and full of mixed cultures?

The nicest thing is that football brings people together. For us it was a responsibility to represent Germany at this time because we knew that off the field we were creating something special socially. The whole world saw another image of Germany, not the typical you all have in your heads. An image of a multicultural, young, talented team, that serves as an example - and an new lust for life.

Do you follow politics?

Obviously. It is an important issue, right? An incredible moment was, when Mrs. Merkel went to the dressing room and shook Özil's hand. It was something to remember. We are all very proud at this moment.

Are you religious? Muslim.

Together with Özil, Diarra, Benzema. Do you do a ritual before matches?

That is personal to each one. I do not take it too seriously. I fulfill the common rules and rituals, but do nothing that may be unique before matches.

Your mother is german and your father tunesian. How did they meet?

My father visited a friend who was married with a German. It was his first contact. And then he stayed, without speaking any german.

What does this mean to you?

That was a tough time for him. But it is an example of overcoming. He worked in a metallurgical company. For me he served as an example, that something impossible could turn into something possible.

Was your father playing football?

Yes, he was a goalkeeper, but he never became a professional.

What is the best advice he gave to you?

The values of life. Especially to be sincere and that you should always follow your dreams. This actually influenced my motivation, to get better all the time and so I joined the team of Real Madrid.

You entered the Stuttgart Football Academy with eight years. Have you been bigger than the other boys, like now?

Yes, I have always been one of the biggest children. Everybody was saying that I had a problem with speed. It seemed that everything I was doing was slow, because I was so big. Then, they did some tests and it proved, that I was one of the most rapid ones. Everyone apologized.

To the Championship again: Is there a chance of winning?

Sure, and that would make the dream of the coach and each of the players come true, because it is the challange numer one. We want to win as many titles as possible.

Who would you give the Golden Ball to this year?

It is very complicated. Xavi, Sneijder, there are several names and they are all very good players and all were playing an important role in the World Cup. I would love to take it to Germany though ...

Sami Khedira & Mesut Özil - 100 days at Real Madrid.

German Internationals Sami Khedira & Mesut Özil talked to kicker magazine about their first 100 days working and living in Madrid.

"We are part of a myth"

by hala_madrid

post-34297-0-1445991616-67291_thumb.jpg

kicker: Mr. Khedira, Mr. Özil - how is your summary after your first 3 months at Real Madrid?

Sami Khedira: Very promising. It is not easy, if you come to a new country, without language skills, in which you are, like me, almost alone. I get along quite well and I think I can be very happy with the start.

Mesut Özil: I feel very comfortable at Real, at the club and in the city. Everything fits. The good results help as well.

What was at Real different and more difficult than you thought?

Özil: It has really helped me, of course, that coach Mourinho and the other players, the stars like Cristiano Ronaldo and Iker Casillas as well as the other new ones, gave me such a warm welcome. That was perfect. It was also positive, that I only had to stay in a hotel for one week and then found a home immediately. Only the unfamiliar language was a bit difficult.

Khedira: I cannot say anything negative. The team has welcomed me well, I'm feeling now confirmed that this is the right step for me. Here I will make an enormous development, as a person and as an athlete.

How did this move change you as a football player?

Khedira: I had to change my way of playing football. At first, it was not easy. At VfB and in the National Team, I had more freedom and could attack more often. At Real Madrid I have to restrain myself. The coach demands, that I keep my position and play the simple, clean football. From the perspective of the fans this may not be that attractive, but it hepls the team. I play now smarter and more clever and have learned to divide my strength.

Özil: I'm still the same player, even though the coach gives me a few other tasks. But he gives me all the freedom I need. And I also have to participate in the defensive. I improve every day.

What is different mentally?

Özil: The pressure at Real is completely different, you're forced to win every match. But that's precisely the challenge I have searched and why I have done the next step. Now I want to win titles.

Khedira: At Real you are always aware, that you are playing with the best of the best. Each of our opponents gives 120 percent against us, for the fans winning is a duty and each draw is a disappointment. That requires huge mental strength.

How does Real Madrid change a new player?

Khedira: Anywhere in the stadium, at the training ground and in the dressing rooms there are trophies, that make you realise, that you are now a part of a myth. I think it a great honor to play for Real. I also see myself as a representative of Germany. For years, Michael Ballack was the only classy german player abroad, now, with Mesut, myself and Jerome Boateng in Manchester, we are already three.

Özil: Of course you feel that this is the biggest club in the world. They do everything for us players, everything is perfect. And yes, Sami's right, you are a part of a myth, which is noticeable in every match or in the whole city. The people are very friendly, ask for photos or autographs.

How does José Mourinho shape a football player like you?

Khedira: He recognizes the strength of a player and tries to build him up. He shows me how I have to behave on the pitch and when I have to attack.

Özil: It is fun, working with him, but he also requires a great deal of you. Also he is a top-motivator and excellent professional, tactically, in every regard. His instructions are perfect.

Will he be able to create the perfect mix of spectacular offensive and solid defensive?

Özil: I think so. We just have to see the recent matches: We score many goals and don't allow many. With Casillas we have the best goalkeeper in the world, a strong back four and two great defensive midfielders, Xabi Alonso and Sami Khedira.

Khedira: Primarily I want to win something and not conquer the hearts of the fans. That's why I can warm easily to Mourinhos way of playing football.

You want titles. After your first impression, what can be possible?

Khedira: In Spain the duel with Barcelona electrifies everybody. If we continue like this, for me, there can only be one champion - Real Madrid. And in the Champions League we have shown already, that we can go very far.

Özil: All titles are possible and we want to win each, that's why we play at this club. We want to achieve great things

How good is your spanish by now?

Khedira: Thanks to the intensive training with my language teacher I understand already a lot, have a big vocabulary and can express myself grammatically in the past, present and future.

Özil: I can understand my teammates on the pitch, so there I do not need of a translator anymore. My vocabulary is growing every day, it will take about half a year in order to speak freely. I learn as well with a spanish teacher. If the spaniards only would not talk so fast ...

To whom in the team do you have the most contact in this starting time?

Khedira: Mesut in first place. With Angel Di Maria, Pepe and Cristiano Ronaldo you can have a lot of fun. Diarra, as one of the experienced players, gave me good advices in english.

Özil: Basically, I get along with all of them. Closer contact I have in particular to Cristiano Ronaldo, Pepe, Marcelo and Higuain.

How complicated are stars like Cristiano Ronaldo?

Khedira: Ronaldo is discribed in public very different. He is totally straightforward, open, helpful, polite and down to earth. It is not an easy life, if everybody recognizes you, from the eight year boy to the eighty year old granny. He is keeping both feet on the ground

Özil: That's true. Ronaldo is not at all aloof, always friendly and helpful.

What does your german team-mate mean to you?

Khedira: Of course it is good to have someone you get along so well and you can speak your native language with. I think that Mesut is also very happy that I am there.

Özil: Of course I am happy that Sami is here. We can support each other everywhere.