Bellazon

Annette Quay is an Aussie fashion model that worked professionally during the 80s & 90s and is one of the famous and popular Dolly Magazine (Australia) cover girls. She went on to become a successful international model!

"Despite the fact that this is Annette's HSC year, she's managed to appear in heaps of magazines including the June cover of Harper's Bazaar. But what Annette really wants to do is combine work with travel for as long as possible. “First I want to go to the Maldives for a holiday, then I just want to keep traveling and modeling. I'm studying Japanese and I'd like to go back to Japan soon. But I can't wait to see Paris, New York, London...Oh and India would be just great.” Unlike most most girls that dream of becoming a top model and never get the chance, at 14, Annette walked straight into it...literally. “I was just shopping in Sydney and I walked into a boutique to try on some swimwear. The guy who owned the shop ended up being a fashion designer and asked me if I'd ever thought about modeling. It just happened from there really.” Annette's first modeling job was the cover for Dolly, which kept the ball rolling after her unheard of luck in the boutique. Since then Annette has been able to fulfill some of her travel dreams, having worked in Japan, Hawaii and Guam. “The best thing about modeling is the money!” she laughes, “No that sounds greedy doesn't it? You meet a lot of good people and work in some great locations. For me though the money is important because it means I can put myself through university. I want to study languages next year. “I think the worst thing about being a model is you meet people and they find out you're a model and they behave differently toward you. They feel they have to prove something instead of just being comfortable. That's the sad part.”
-Excerpt from Dolly Magazine

Over the years, Australia has evolved into a multicultural society and come a long way. When 30 years ago when we tried to get an Asian girl on the cover of Dolly magazine (Annette Quay), it created much controversy. Even getting an African American (Loraine Pascal in Australian Elle) or Aboriginal girl in a magazine editorial in the 80s and 90s involved much heated debate. I love how the world has opened up to all kinds of ethnicity. Beauty is so much more diverse than it used to be. -Graham Shearer
-Excerpt from an interview with photographer Graham Shearer

Additional links about Annette:
http://grahamshearer.com/images/Russh_Shearer.pdf

Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Nationality: Australian

• 2 weeks later...