Bellazon

Raúl González Blanco
Thumbnail

Dama Fashion_ista

"Real prize players over trophies"

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has taken a dig at Real Madrid, saying they prefer glamourous signings over trophies.

Real have long been famous or notorious - depending on which camp you're in - of splashing ridiculous amounts of cash to bring some of the world's most renowned players to the Santiago Bernabeu.

In the first Galacticos era, when Florentino Perez was president - Real signed Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo (the now plump Brazilian) and David Beckham for a total of £139.7 million.

The second era - also under Perez - resulted in Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Xabi Alonso coming to Spain for a total of €228 million.

Wenger, whose managerial method is the antithesis of Madrid's splash-the-cash ways, has never hidden his dislike of the club.

Speaking to Mirror Football, he said:"It seems strange when fans celebrate new signings more than trophies."

"When they sign a great player, the fans are pleased but this increases the pressure to put on a great performance. This is a team sport."

He could not resist pointing out Real's miserable record in Europe over the past few years.

"Madrid have been eliminated in the second round of the Champions League for the last six years.

"They are fragile."

Dudek: Real can’t fail before El Clasico

Jerzy Dudek was warned Real Madrid that they cannot afford to lose any points ahead of El Clasico next month.

"The Clasico will take place on April 11th but we can't afford to fail before or after that crucial game," he told RealMadrid.com.

Los Merengues face Getafe this weekend and Dudek stressed that it will not be a picnic at the Coliseum Alfonso Perez.

"Getafe are always a complicated opponent," he said. "They also have many players that came from our academy.

"They will be motivated. It is crucial for us to win games like this. Getafe have good ball control and are very patient. We'll have to concentrate hard."

The veteran custodian also said that he is enjoying his stay at the Bernabeu, despite playing little and needing more effort to prepare for games.

"Goalkeepers are like good wine; the more experienced the better," he joked. "I look for things to motivate me on a daily basis, but I'm like a diesel motor. I need to do more warm-up exercises than the rest, but once I'm ready I work to perfection. I have to train hard every day to be ready for whenever I may be needed."

Getafe vs Real Madrid Preview

Gonzalo Higuain will hope to mark his 100th appearance for Real Madrid with a match-winning performance against Getafe.

But recent history suggests the title-chasers may be in for an uncomfortable night at the Coliseum Alfonso Perez.

Higuain took his tally to 20 goals in his last 17 league games during Madrid's 3-1 win over Sporting Gijon on Sunday, and he is just five behind fellow Argentinian Lionel Messi at the top of the Primera Division scoring charts.

Messi has been earning widespread plaudits for his stunning form but Higuain has been going about his business quietly and effectively, and he is now only two shy of the 22-goal total he collected last season when he finished as Madrid's top scorer.

The 22-year-old will bring up a century of appearances if he plays tomorrow, and he said: "I will try to enjoy the game. It's very important for us. We have to pick up the three points and we hope that's what happens.

"My objective is to beat the number of goals I scored last year. I'm only two away, but aside from my personal aims, my main goal is to help the team. If we are champions and I score goals, then so much the better."

Madrid make the short trip to the suburbs of the Spanish capital on the back of a nine-match winning streak and they could extend their lead at the summit to three points if they down Getafe and Barcelona lose at home to Osasuna tonight.

However, if Madrid are to take full advantage of any slip by Barca they will need to improve on a miserable record at Getafe.

In the five league meetings between the two at the Coliseum since Getafe were first promoted to the top flight in 2004, Madrid have suffered three defeats and recorded just one win - a 1-0 triumph in 2007.

Last season's 3-1 loss at Getafe in December 2008 contributed to the dismissal of then Madrid coach Bernd Schuster, who lasted one more game - a 4-3 home defeat to Sevilla - before making way for Juande Ramos, and the current incumbent Manuel Pellegrini will be wary about suffering a similar fate.

Despite his side's good domestic form, Pellegrini has found himself under pressure following Madrid's Champions League exit at the hands of Lyon, and with another derby against Atletico coming up at the weekend and then the huge showdown with Barca at the Bernabeu a fortnight later, he will be desperate for a good result tomorrow.

Higuain, who scored both goals in a 2-0 home win over Getafe earlier this season, admitted: "We cannot allow ourselves to drop any points."

Both Pellegrini and his Getafe counterpart Michel both have plenty of injury headaches heading into the match.

For Madrid, Pepe, Karim Benzema, Kaka, Lassana Diarra, Mahamadou Diarra, Guti and Royston Drenthe were all struggling with various problems this week.

Meanwhile, Getafe are without top scorer Roberto Soldado, plus defenders Cata Diaz and Miguel Torres, while Mario Alvarez and David Belenguer are injury doubts.

Getafe forward Miku said in AS of tomorrow's game: "They (Madrid) are out of the Champions League and the Copa del Rey and this will make them 100% focused. As well as that, they have players who are used to pressure and solving difficult situations.

"It's going to be difficult (for Getafe), but nothing more. This is sport. At the Bernabeu Getafe already took them on toe-to-toe and this is the intention tomorrow. We need to be very careful not to make any mistakes."

hey, girls!

thanks for all the newest pix!!

i've posted 6 one-year-old pix at my blog. they're old but haven't seen in hq before, so check them out:

http://donadabola.wordpress.com/2010/03/25...del-padre-raul/

and on march 19th, it was father's day in spain... i hope raúl got something nice from his kids! :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH mamen_fan :wub::hug::flower: great photos, never could find them in HQ ;)

GETAFE 0-2 REAL MADRID

Real Madrid dominated the match from start to finish and scored four goals before half-time. The Whites' tenth consecutive victory keeps them at the top of the table before the derby with Atletico Madrid.

Real Madrid's first goal came from Cristiano Ronaldo, who yet again scored from a poweful free-kick, sending the ball through one of the top corners of the goal. The strike sealed a perfect first quarter of an hour in which Xabi Alonso acted as playmaker with Granero opening up the team's game by his side. With Cristiano Ronaldo and Higuain up front Real Madrid were unstoppable.

The second goal came from a perfect effort started off by Gago and sealed by Higuain with a crossed shot (19’). And, as there is no rest for the wicked, the third came again from Higuain after he received the ball from Gago and dribbled past the goalkeeper, facing an empty goal alone.

The leaders wanted more and Ronaldo stepped up, scoring an extraordinary strike following two step-overs from one of the sides of Getafe's box. The locals managed to net a strike before half-time in a controversial play - Parejo scored when Casillas was lying hurt on the ground.

Getafe had no choice but to give it their best to try to make a comeback. Celestini and Manu came on to help the team react. Miku had the first chance in the second half, but his shot from a cross by Manu was off target (59’). Pedro Leon hit one of the posts just one minute later.

Real Madrid had relaxed a little bit and Leon used that to score from inside the box on the 79-minute mark, but Getafe's final efforts weren't enough in the end and Real Madrid snatched a tenth consecutive win in La Liga that keeps them at the top of the table.