Bellazon

2014 SI Swimsuit Model Tournament

Today’s results are in!

Knockout Stage - First Round

(4) Cheryl Tiegs (52.0%) defeated Lauren Mellor (48.0%)

(4) Cheryl Tiegs advances to the Second Round to face (9) Veronica Varekova

Jessica Gomes (79.3%) defeated Fernanda Motta (20.7%)

Jessica Gomes advances to the Second Round to face (16) Petra Nemcova

My spin:

SI icon Cheryl Tiegs sneaked into the Knockout Stage as a wild card, and now she has sneaked into the Second Round after a narrow victory over rookie Lauren Mellor. Cheryl will have her hands full in the next round against #9 ranked Veronica Varekova. It should be an interesting result.

Jessica Gomes had the unfortunate luck of being in the same group as #1 Elle Macpherson in the Group Stage, but she had a good enough showing to survive and move on to the Knockout Stage. Jess showed she belongs here with a trouncing of Fernanda Motta. Jess will face Czech beauty Petra Nemcova next.

What are your thoughts?  Post and share them!

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in!

Lucia Dvorska (52.2%) defeated Jeisa Chiminazzo (47.8%)

Lucia Dvorska advances to the Second Round to face (6) Daniela Pestova

(3) Marisa Miller (64.0%) defeated Kim Alexis (36.0%)

(3) Marisa Miller advances to the Second Round to face (5) Yamila Diaz-Rahi

My spin:

Lucia Dvorska and Jeisa Chiminazzo were both wild card entries from Group 7 in the Group Stage, so they had already met once in this year’s competition before this match in the First Round of the Knockout Stage. Lucia won a close match in the Group Stage meeting, and in this rematch Lucia again won a very close match. So, Jeisa’s tournament is over solely because of Lucia. Jeisa beat all other challengers, including #7 Irina Shayk, but she just couldn’t overcome Lucia - twice!

In today’s other match, #3 Marisa Miller, last year’s champion and a surprising wild card participant this year, took care of Kim Alexis to advance to the Second Round. Marisa’s loss to Stephanie Seymour in the Group Stage is really showing its effects now, as Marisa’s wild card slotting is forcing her into a match with #5 Yamila Diaz-Rahi in an early round clash of the titans. What a great match that should be!

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in!

Ehrinn Cummings (84.2%) defeated Kelly Emberg (15.8%)

Ehrinn Cummings advances to the Second Round to face (14) Bar Refaeli

Izabel Goulart (56.0%) defeated Aurelie Claudel (44.0%)

Izabel Goulart advances to the Second Round to face (15) Heidi Klum

My spin:

Ehrinn Cummings had a surprisingly good run in the Group Stage, and she has continued that into the Knockout Stage as she easily won her match over Kelly Emberg. The road ahead is very tough for Ehrinn, though, as #14 Bar Refaeli awaits in the Second Round.

The other match was very close, as expected, but Izabel Goulart defeated French beauty Aurelie Claudel in the end. Aurelie’s fine 2014 tournament ends, while the sultry Brazilian Izabel goes on to face SI legend Heidi Klum.

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in!

Dominique Piek (78.6%) defeated Aline Nakashima (21.4%)

Dominique Piek advances to the Second Round to face May Andersen

Yesica Toscanini (57.9%) defeated Selita Ebanks (42.1%)

Yesica Toscanini advances to the Second Round to face Stephanie Seymour

My spin:

Dominique Piek easily took care of Aline Nakashima and will move on to face May Andersen in the Second Round. Dominique is a favorite of mine who always seems to get bad luck in these tournaments in terms of the draws that she gets. Last year, she had to face Cindy Crawford in the first match of the Qualifying Round, and this year, she was in a tough group led by Petra Nemcova. But, she survived the Group Stage and finally seems to have some good fortune with her draw in the Knockout Stage. Dominique may very well get to the final 32 or quite possibly even the Sexy Sixteen. So, she’s now my sleeper pick!

Meanwhile, Yesica Toscanini had a surprisingly good run through the Group Stage, and she pulled off another surprising win in the First Round against Selita Ebanks. If she were to pull out a win in her next match, though, I’d really be shocked. She’ll have to face Stephanie Seymour, who has the distinction of being the only model in the field to have beaten last year’s champion Marisa Miller. 

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in!

Ana Beatriz Barros (68.2%) defeated Ingrid Seynhaeve (31.8%)

Ana Beatriz Barros advances to the Second Round to face (13) Paulina Porizkova

Michelle Behennah (80.0%) defeated Monika Schnarre (20.0%)

Michelle Behennah advances to the Second Round to face (11) Christie Brinkley

My spin:

Ana Beatriz Barros struggled in the 2013 tournament, but in this year’s she has been much better. She went 3-1 in the Group Stage and has now advanced to the Second Round of the Knockout Stage after a good win over Ingrid Seynhaeve. Personally, I’m sad to see Ingrid lose, since she’s one of my throwback favorites. But, oh well! Ana Beatriz will have a very tough test in #13 Paulina Porizkova next round.

In the other match, the youngest SI Swimsuit model ever, Monika Schnarre, succumbed to Michelle Behennah. Monika had a surprisingly good run through the Group Stage at 3-1, but this is the end of her road in the 2014 tournament. Michelle advances to face #11 Christie Brinkley in the next round, and I’m thinking this may be an upset alert! Michelle will not make it easy for Christie.

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in!

Carol Alt (53.3%) defeated Kristy Hinze (46.7%)

Carol Alt advances to the Second Round to face (8) Brooklyn Decker

Jessica Perez (82.6%) defeated Malia Jones (17.4%)

Jessica Perez advances to the Second Round to face (7) Irina Shayk

My spin:

Carol Alt and Kristy Hinze were close throughout, but Carol survived the test and moves on to another, even bigger, test in #8 Brooklyn Decker.

Malia Jones had surprised everyone by getting to the Knockout Stage, but she was overmatched by Jessica Perez once there. Jessica showed that she’s a real threat to her next opponent, #7 Irina Shayk. Irina has also been vulnerable, losing a match to Jeisa Chiminazzo in the Group Stage. For a while, it very much in question whether she’d advance as the group winner. This is another potential upset, in my estimation. Should be exciting!

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in, and this completes the First Round! New Second Round matches coming shortly.

Melissa Haro (94.1%) defeated Rachel Roberts (5.9%)

Melissa Haro advances to the Second Round to face (12) Kate Upton

Hannah Ferguson (73.1%) defeated Marloes Horst (26.9%)

Hannah Ferguson advances to the Second Round to face (10) Anne Vyalitsyna

Chandra North (53.3%) defeated Samantha Hoopes (46.7%)

Chandra North advances to the Second Round to face (2) Kathy Ireland

My spin:

Melissa Haro made mincemeat of Rachel Roberts and will take that momentum into a matchup with Kate the Great in the Second Round. That should be an interesting one!

Hannah Ferguson won the battle of the rookies pretty easily over Marloes Horst, and she’ll take her smoking self to the next round and face #10 Anne V. This is another upset alert, I think!

With a win, Samantha Hoopes had a chance to avenge her narrow Group Stage loss to #2 Kathy Ireland. But, Chandra North had other ideas, and Samantha hits the showers while Chandra moves on to face Kathy.

That’s the end of the First Round already! There are now just 64 models remaining with a hope to claim the title of 2014 SI Swimsuit Model Tournament Champion!

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in!

Knockout Stage - Second Round

(1) Elle Macpherson (52.0%) defeated Esti Ginzburg (48.0%)

Cindy Crawford (50.5%) defeated Judit Masco (49.5%)

(1) Elle Macpherson and Cindy Crawford will face each other in the Third Round

My spin:

Wow, what a start to the Second Round! #1 ranked Elle Macpherson got all she could handle from Esti Ginzburg, and Elle just barely hung on to advance to the Third Round. What a great showing from Esti, who beat up on #20 Rachel Hunter in the First Round and very nearly knocked off mighty Elle.

Cindy Crawford and Judit Masco also went back and forth, and Cindy ended up pulling out the victory by an extremely narrow margin. Judit is one of my favorites, so I’m a bit in mourning over this result. But, Judit had a good showing in the tournament, and I guess there’s always next year.

So, that sets up a battle of mega supermodels who can be recognized by first name only: Elle vs. Cindy in the Third Round. This match should be unbelievable! 

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in!

Natasha Barnard (70.4%) defeated Isabeli Fontana (29.6%)

(9) Veronica Varekova (70.4%) defeated (4) Cheryl Tiegs (29.6%)

Natasha Barnard and (9) Veronica Varekova will face each other in the Third Round

My spin:

Coincidentally, both matches ended with the same vote perccentages, as Natasha Barnard and Veronica Varekova both remained perfect in this year’s tournament. 

Natasha sent Isabeli Fontana home unhappy, as Isabeli suffered her first loss of the tournament. (She had a draw in the Group Stage with fellow Brazilian Daniella Sarahyba.)

Veronica knocked off #4 Cheryl Tiegs, whose ranking will surely suffer after her two losses in this year’s tournament. There was not too much love for one of the pioneers of SI Swimsuit, which is unfortunate. Arguably, that “throwaway” fishnet shot of Cheryl started SI Swimsuit into the spotlight, but the competition nowadays is just too much for many models from that era. You, the voter, have spoken! :)

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in!

(16) Petra Nemcova (58.6%) defeated Jessica Gomes (41.4%)

Angela Lindvall (52.2%) defeated (18) Vendela Kirsebom (47.8%)

(16) Petra Nemcova and Angela Lindvall will face each other in the Third Round

My spin:

Tough day for yours truly. Vendela Kirsebom, perhaps my favorite SI model of all time, was knocked off by Angela Lindvall in a very close match. Angela’s run through this year’s tournament has been impressive, but this is her most impressive victory yet. But, it doesn’t make it any less sad for me!

In the other match, Czech beauty Petra Nemcova won a close match against Jessica Gomes. Jessica had a tough draw in this tournament, as she got stuck in a group with #1 Elle Macpherson in the Group Stage. Apart from her match against Elle, Jessica dominated her opposition in the Group Stage and in her First Round match in the Knockout Stage. But, then she had to face Petra in this match. So, it was a good run for Jessica, even though she didn’t make it too far.

So, the Third Round match will be Cinderella herself, Angela Lindvall, against the heavy favorite, Petra Nemcova, and the winner gets a spot in the Sexy Sixteen. If Angela could pull that off, then I’d really be impressed!

Thanks for voting!