Bellazon

SISE or VS models

Begonia

Which models you like more the SI or VS?

which models do you think has more of a chance to become famous?

Do you see SI or VS opening more doors for the models to model for more recognizable company?

Where do you think there is more of a chance to ruin a models career VS or SI?

I wanted to bring this topic because In the Sara Sampaio thread it was brought up, I think it would be interesting to here from everybody's opinion.

SI has made Kate Upton really famous. & VS has made Adriana Lima really famous too.

I do think SI has more beautiful models.

I have seen models once they model SI they end up having better career & modeling bigger stuff like intimissimi or other brand, I feel VS doesn't do that much with their models, they pretty much get stuck modelling only for them. I don't really think SI or VS ruin a model careers.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the VS models more but I think success depends on how you look at it. Some people tend to look down on SI models, whereas a Victoria's Secret contract is a good thing (for example: Karlie Kloss). Many of the more successful SI models were also VS models (not including Kate Upton). I don't think that SI made Kate Upton famous - she made herself famous (with help from Terry Richardson). I don't think that either can ruin a career, but SI is not always taken seriously. Fame depends on the model herself. Victoria's Secret has helped to create a lot of icons, like Adriana and Gisele, which SI didn't really do. Also VS models often participate in more high fashion work, which SI models tend not to. Basically I think that the VS models tend to do better and are taken more seriously. They have more Vogue covers, appear more frequently on models.com rankings and are usually on the Forbes highest paid model lists. Many SI girls just fade away after a few years. 

• 4 months later...

But why do you think SI is not taken seriously? I take it seriously you have to be really sexy or hot to be on a SI magazine, not everybody can be in a SI magazine, I feel like anybody could become more a VS model than a SI model. I feel that SI has had created Icon for themselves too like Kate Upton, Petra Nemcova, Bar Refaeli, Brooklyn Decker.

Adriana would absolutely slay for SI. She definitely has that in your face sex appeal and body that the magazine goes for.

It's a shame that there isn't much cross over and the models are segregated.

This is a very interesting topic. Wish we would get more opinions!

I also think SI and VS vary in the pools of models they work with. VS clearly works with HF models, while SI seems to work with models who simply have "the look," regardless of their past work experience. Maybe this is why VS models are taken more seriously in the fashion industry than SI models. Plus there is also the fact that VS models work year round, while SI models obviously only do the magazine and any parties/events near the launch date. This means more visibility for VS models.

• 10 months later...

Well...let's see what was the recent lineup for the VS show...

Elsa Hosk, Karlie Kloss, Sara Sampaio, Monika Jagaciak, Bregje Heinen, Josephine Skriver; Martha Hunt, Lais Ribeiro etc...

SI ?

Kate Upton, EmRata, Nina Agdal, Emily Didonato, Marloes Horst...

No doubt for me, SI wins these days.

The problem with VS is that except for Candice Swanepoel, their big models are either gone (Miranda, Doutzen...) or past their prime.

Not to mention that I feel the models walking the VSFS get skinnier and skinnier every year (or maybe it is just an impression) and more awkward looking.

I definitely prefer SI models. Even if they are not that famous, at least they are natural. In SI Photoshop is limited to correcting skin imperfections and lighting issues. whereas VS use photoshop and padding to make models look like they have cleavage. Look at Candice's pictures at the launch event for Russell James' book compared to what we see in VS shoots. To me that is Photoshop abuse and unacceptable. That's is why I enjoy SI way more than VS. I don't have to suspect photoshop faking.

Personally i find SI models a lot sexier than VS models since SI has kept their formular to hire models that actually have nice bodies (which is why i'm quite irritated that they hired chanel iman). As a model, however, it's better to do VS than SI because SI doesn't really open doors for models to do much high fashion stuff. Unless you get the cover, you pretty much get stuck with being in the LA or miami fashion market but it's NY, paris and milan that "qualifies" a model to have made it big. Since VS wants to keep that lil bit of a high fashion edge, they mostly hire successful models and today's most successful models are sadly those skinny hf models. Therefore all the VS models get skinnier and skinnier and less and less attractive but they are known in fashion circles while SI's rookies are way sexier and are perceived as "women" as opposed to as "girls" but most of them are always either super unknown models or hf models that have become "too big" to do hf. I guess my point is that if u get VS, it cements your status as a successful model because they always hire successful models while when u get SI, you don't get the same credit because SI hires either unknown models or hf-leftovers which basically means u must be a model that no one has cared about so far or no one cares about anymore.

I think the main thing with VS is that they are in the business of selling bras and panties therefore they are a female-oriented business whereas SI, while becoming more aware women are also buying the magazine, is mostly for the fellas. SI is very much about the female body and how it is presented (both face and body count) whereas VS is just presenting lingerie and swimwear therefore they don't care how facially attractive or skinny their models are as long as they're good at their job.

As mentioned before, VS is strongly linked to the fashion community. They like to find a girl with a nice HF background which they can mould for a little while and when she becomes big they can take credit later: We made her a star and bla bla bla. As for the models, I think most models would rather have a nice yearlong relationship with VS (more photoshoots ergo more visibility) as opposed to one photoshoot with SI.

As for my preference, I love both SI and VS models. I think both brands have introduced great and unique talents over the years and I hope I'll see even more.