• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

THE EDIT BY NET-A-PORTER

October 22, 2015

Bohemian Rhapsody
Model Amanda Murphy
Photographer Alique
Styling Morgan Pilcher

YsgaAGtQ.jpg P9o7L1g3.jpg WFOZhVBz.jpg zJO9IRmS.jpg 2FpmCBed.jpg S8Lg67Wv.jpg bGVxMmpm.jpg iMZPGVfm.jpg 1cFKUED5.jpg EGzV22LV.jpg

Billowing maxis, shearling vests and tassels everywhere – EMMA SELLS explains why fashion’s free-spirited mood has never felt so luxurious. Model AMANDA MURPHY wears the modern folk star pieces.

Modeling profile
RÉSUMÉ: Murphy has starred in campaigns for super-brands including Prada, Céline and Bottega Veneta
CAREER PLAN B: Murphy took a two-year break from fashion to complete her radiography degree Why Miss Jones

MODELING HAS TAUGHT ME
that what is unique about you is what will make you last. When I first started, I tried to be what everyone else wanted me to be. Since I took a break I’m just myself and that’s really working for me.

I BECAME A MODEL BECAUSE...
My mom, who is a nurse, is into fashion and convinced me to try it. I wasn’t interested; I was a tomboy and into sport, but I love it now.

THE HARDEST THING ABOUT STARTING OUT WAS... 
Learning to walk in heels. Growing up I was always so tall, much taller than all the boys, so I had no experience.

RIGHT NOW I’M LISTENING TO... 
Florence and the Machine. Unless I’m working out – then it’s AC/DC.

MY GO-TO LABELS ARE...
Calvin Klein, Jimmy Choo and, for coats, Proenza Schouler. For makeup, it’s RMS Beauty.

MY FAVORITE THING ABOUT FALL’S FOLK LOOK IS... 
The colors. I don’t wear really bright patterns, so I love the earthy tones.

A DREAM DAY OFF WOULD BE... 
At home, taking my horse, Jessie, for a ride. I’ve had her for 15 years and everything about her has been challenging. She has an attitude!

TOP MODEL SECRETS
AMANDA MURPHY
She is the Prada muse who works as a radiologic technologist and lives with her horses. Meet Amanda Murphy.
OCT 7, 2015
PHOTO: BENJAMIN VNUK/LUNDLUND

AGENCY: IMG Models

CITY: Chicago

INSTAGRAM: @amandajeanmurphy

If Miuccia Prada is the high priestess of high fashion, then being Mrs Prada’s muse must be one of the finest compliments you could ever get as a model. 

Amanda Murphy ought to know. She’s done three campaigns for the house, and opened and closed the Prada show two seasons in a row. Amanda Murphy is not only a designer favourite, legendary photographer Steven Meisel is a fan too. It’s not hard to see why photographers love her – her presence in front of the camera is so strong it almost makes you want to reach out and touch her. 

Maybe it’s the contrasts in Amanda Murphy’s life that makes her so compelling. One day she’s walking the Paris runway, the next day she is at home in Chicago, hanging out with her horses and working part time as a radiologic technologist. 

To learn more, we asked her to fill out the Top Model Secrets questionnaire.

MY FAVOURITE PHOTOGRAPHER IS… 
”When I was new, all I wanted was to get in front of the camera and prove myself. Steven Meisel gave me that chance and I am forever thankful.”

IN MY CAREER, I AM MOST PROUD OVER… 
”Opening and closing the Prada show two seasons in a row, and my three Prada campaigns.”

MY MOST MEMORABLE SHOOT WAS… 
”My first Prada campaign, it was my first big shoot, first campaign, first chance to prove myself… The pressure was on.”

THE SONG OR ARTIST THAT ALWAYS GETS ME GOING AT A SHOOT IS… 
”It has to have a lot of energy especially when I'm working jet-lagged. Good music really helps. I love Stevie Nicks.”

MY CREATIVE OUTLET IS…
”Work, every day I have to become a different character.”

MY BEAUTY SECRET IS… 
”A great concealer is all a girl needs.”

I KEEP IN SHAPE BY…
”Riding horses. I also work out a few days a week.”

FOR A QUICK HAIR FIX, I…
”Put it up in a messy bun.”

MY DE-STRESS TRICK IS…
”Spending time with my horses and dog. Or, when I am away, giving friends and family a call.”

I SMELL LIKE…
”Marc Jacobs Daisy.”

MY FAVOURITE OFF-DUTY LOOK IS…
”Natural casual.”

RIGHT NOW, I AM OBSESSED WITH…
”Emergen-c and vitamins. Travelling is hard on your immune system.”

MY FAVOURITE HOTEL IS…
”The Edition in London.”

MY FAVOURITE RESTAURANT IS....
”My fiancé’s home cooking.”

FOR BREAKFAST, I ALWAYS HAVE… 
”Oatmeal and fresh juice.”

FOR A LONG FLIGHT, I ALWAYS PACK…
”Instant oatmeal and tea.”

WHEN I HAVE SOME FREE TIME, I… 
”Spend it at home in Chicago. I'm always travelling so my idea of a holiday is going nowhere.”

THE BEST ADVICE I’VE EVER RECEIVED IS…
”Try to find a way to better yourself and help those around you every day. You will live a happier life.”

MY FAVOURITE THING TO SHOP WHEN I AM AWAY IS…
”I love looking at antique shops or locally made objects/art in different countries.”

BEING A MODEL, I’VE LEARNT… 
”That I ‘pop’ by Europe like normal people ‘pop’ by the grocery store.”

POST-MODELLING, I WOULD LIKE TO…
”I’m actually a part time radiology technologist now. Finishing college is one of my accomplishments I am most proud of.”

MY FAVOURITE TV SHOW IS… 
”Sons Of Anarchy.”

RIGHT NOW, I AM READING… 
”A radiology tech article.”

MY GOAL IN LIFE IS…
”My goal ever since I was a little girl was to have a house with horse property and I finally have it!”

hm.com

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...