Bellazon

Pep Guardiola
Thumbnail

elven_star

Guardiola discharged from hospital

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has been given the all-clear to leave hospital and will be back against Real Zaragoza.

Guardiola was admitted to hospital following Barca's away win over Valencia on Wednesday night due to the lower back problem he has been suffering from for the last few weeks.

Whilst there, Guardiola was diagnosed as suffering from a herniated disc.

After three nights in the hospital, Guardiola was given the green light to leave late and the 40-year-old then made his way to the Nou Camp, where Barca play host to Zaragoza.

Barca stars see Pep as a teacher

Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes has revealed that training under coach Pep Guardiola is like going to school.

Valdes has been at the Nou Camp since a child, progressing up through the ranks before making his first team debut in 2002.

Following his initial years spent as an apprentice to Argentinean Roberto Bonano, Valdes has since established himself as the first choice custodian at Barcelona, having clocked up over 280 appearances since.

Having taken over the helm at Barcelona after initially being in charge of their 'B' team, Guardiola has led the side to two consecutive La Liga titles, as well as an UEFA Champions League title.

Valdes, who only broke into the first team the season after Guardiola ended his playing career at Barcelona, may have missed out on the opportunity to learn from his coach during his playing days, but he is certainly making for lost time now.

Speaking on Barca TV, Valdes stated: "From the time he [Guardiola] arrived, the first concept we worked on was playing the ball out of defence with the central defenders going wide. This had an impact on me."

The goalkeeper has also likened training under Guardiola to attending footballing school.

"I've learned a lot, and consider him a football maestro, and he's taught me to live the game differently, learning more all the time."

"It's like going to school every day."

Valdes' enthusiasm certainly suggests that things are going very well at the Nou Camp.

With that in mind, Barcelona will be confident in pushing on with their exploits this season, where they are still in the running to win the treble this season.

They are currently first in the league, leading Real Madrid by seven points, who are also their opponents in the Copa Del Rey final, and they are still involved in the UEFA Champions League, although they will have to overcome a 2-1 deficit to Arsenal in the second leg next Tuesday to have any chance of achieving such a feat.

• 2 weeks later...

Barca livid at doping claims

Barcelona are considering legal action after a Spanish radio station made allegations "which link the club to doping practices".

Barca on Monday issued a strongly-worded statement denying claims made by Cadena Cope and are in consultation with lawyers over their next course of action.

A statement released on the club's official website read: "In response to the grave insinuations broadcast on Sunday night on the Cadena Cope radio station, FC Barcelona wishes to publicly express its total indignation at these unfounded references which link the club to doping practices and to condemn such attitudes, which have nothing to do with fair play and gravely affect the image of sporting competition.

"FC Barcelona is demanding an immediate rectification and wishes to let it be known that its legal department is studying possible legal action to defend the club's honour, alongside that of its coaching staff, players and medical staff and is prepared to take such action to its final consequences."

Pep diverts blame from referees

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has refused to blame the match officials for Sunday's 1-1 draw with Sevilla.

The referee made two notable calls during the La Liga match, when he dismissed Barcelona's claims for a penalty after Bojan Krkic was felled in the box, as well as disallowing a Lionel Messi goal in the first half.

With Barcelona drawing their match, along with title rivals Real Madrid notching up a comfortable 2-0 win over Hercules the day before, the Catalan side's lead at the top of the table has now been cut to five points.

Speaking in his post-match press conference, Guardiola however shied away from identifying the referee's decisions as having cost his side a valuable win.

"The referees always do their utmost."

"I'm a representative of the institution Barcelona. I don't want to talk about the disallowed goal of Messi. A Barcelona coach doesn't discuss the referee's performance."

The Barcelona coach was also quick to praise Sevilla for their performance, and admitted he was nonetheless pleased with his team's performance.

"Overall, I'm quite satisfied with how we played. We always try to control the game, but sometimes you face a strong opponent. We didn't lose though and we never stopped trying."

"We put in a good performance against a great team. Maybe we deserved more than a draw after our first half performance. Sevilla improved after the break and showed their great mentality."

While Barcelona are still on course for a third successive La Liga title, Sevilla also keep alive their hopes of playing in European competition next season, although should they finish the season in their current position of seventh, they will enter the Europa League in the third qualifying round, which would mean an early start to next year's campaign.

Barca: Madrid not behind doping reports

Barcelona are satisfied that reports linking them to doping practices have nothing to do with bitter rivals Real Madrid.

The Catalan giants are considering legal action against radio station Cadena Cope for insinuations made during a broadcast on Sunday night, and have been contacted by the president of their great rivals, Florentino Perez, insisting that no one at Real had anything to do with Cadena Cope's report.

Toni Freixa, a spokesman for the Barcelona board, told marca.com: "The president of Madrid has already contacted us to say that the club has nothing to do with this information.

"(Barcelona president Sandro) Rosell has no reason to disbelieve him.

"These reports are a serious blow to the reputation of Barcelona, their doctors and athletes."

The club said in a statement yesterday: "FC Barcelona is demanding an immediate rectification and wishes to let it be known that its legal department is studying possible legal action to defend the club's honour, alongside that of its coaching staff, players and medical staff and is prepared to take such action to its final consequences."

Guardiola praises Barca resilience

Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola praised the reaction of his players after a difficult week as they beat Getafe.

The club was rocked earlier in the week by the news that left-back Eric Abidal had a tumour on his liver.

The Frenchman successfully underwent surgery on Thursday to remove the tumour, but Guardiola was concerned by how his players would perform following the concerning distraction.

"It has been a tough week for everyone," Guardiola said.

"You never know how the players react, but they were fantastic and I'm really happy with the performance."

Barcelona won 2-1 thanks to goals from Dani Alves and Bojan Krkic, but David Villa missed several good chances to put the Catalans out of reach before Manu del Moral's late strike gave Getafe brief hope.

Barcelona and Getafe paid tribute to Abidal as they came out with T-shirts dedicated to the France full-back, while the home fans cheered the defender's name in the 22nd minute - he wears the number 22 - of each half.

Guardiola said the French player is recovering well.

"The surgery went well and the doctors are happy," Guardiola said.

"He is recovering well and he is with his family - we hope he can come and visit us at our training ground in about 10 days."

Alves opened the scoring with a wonderful volley after 16 minutes and Guardiola hopes the full-back will soon sign a new deal to remain at the Nou Camp.

"It was an amazing goal by Dani and he is a very important player for us," Guardiola said.

"He wants to stay and I am sure it will be sorted out."

Guardiola also defended Villa following another lucklustre performance from the Spain striker.

"The players don't miss on purpose," he said.

"My players give everything and they want to score - I am very happy with how we played."

While speaking at the press conference, Guardiola watched title rivals Real Madrid go 2-0 up before half-time in the league's late match at Atletico.

"They are very strong and the league will go all the way until the end of the season," Guardiola said.

Barcelona 2-1 Getafe

A stunning Dani Alves strike and a deflected Bojan Krkic effort gave Barcelona victory at home to Getafe.

Alves opened the scoring after 16 minutes with a majestic volley from 22 yards and Bojan added a second goal early in the second period.

But the Catalans suffered a few nervy moments at the death after Manu del Moral's late strike gave Getafe brief hope.

Barcelona, paired with Shakhtar Donetsk in yesterday's Champions League quarter-final draw, were without captain Carles Puyol, Spain forward Pedro and France full-back Eric Abidal.

Abidal underwent surgery on Thursday to remove a tumour on his liver.

Both teams paid tribute to the full-back before kick-off as they appeared with T-shirts bearing messages of support to the Frenchman.

Abidal, Barcelona's number 22, was also cheered by the Catalan fans in the 22nd minute of each half.

Lionel Messi almost gave the home side the lead with an impressive overhead kick after seven minutes, but the Argentinian - improvising with his back to goal - saw his effort saved by Getafe goalkeeper Jordi Codina.

Bojan then shot wide after he was set up by Xavi, but Barcelona took the lead moments later when Alves struck a thunderous shot which gave Codina no chance.

The Brazilian right-back, yet to agree a new contract with the Catalan club, flexed his muscles and kissed his biceps in front of a roaring Nou Camp crowd.

A chorus of "Alves, Alves" rang around the stadium, but five minutes later, Barcelona's fans then remembered their other full-back as they saluted Abidal.

Xavi almost made it 2-0 with a low, mis-hit effort later in the half which drifted just wide, while David Villa was guilty of missing two great chances to double the lead before the interval.

At the other end, Getafe had their moments as well and Victor Valdes had to be alert to save from Javier Casquero after half an hour.

The second half started brightly for Barcelona and for Bojan, playing his 100th league match for the club.

The 20-year-old striker, in for the injured Pedro, made it two goals in two games as he was set up by Messi and scored with a deflected shot which left Codina wrong-footed.

Bojan and Villa had seen penalty shouts turned down in the first half and both were heavily involved in Barcelona's play.

Neither looked convincing, however, and even Messi was quiet by his exceptional standards.

Nevertheless, Barcelona looked largely comfortable, and they would have been more so had Villa converted two decent opportunities late on.

It was another off-colour performance from the Spain striker and the home side could have been made to pay for that late on.

Manu was left all alone to sweep home a fine effort on the volley from 10 yards with three minutes left, and the striker's goal appeared merely a consolation.

That was how it turned out, although Barcelona were forced to scrap in defence as Getafe sought a leveller in added time.

• 2 weeks later...

Barcelona fret over Messi injury

Barcelona forward Lionel Messi is doubtful for Saturday night's La Liga game at Villarreal due to an adductor injury.

The 23-year-old was missing due to the problem as Costa Rica held Argentina to a draw in their goalless friendly in San Jose.

Messi suffered the injury in training with his national team and coach Sergio Batista elected not to risk the FIFA Ballon d'Or winner - much to the annoyance of the supporters, who had hoped to see the superstar in action,

Speaking before kick-off at the new Estadio Nacional, Argentinian Football Association president Julio Grondona said: "We just had a chat with the president of the Costa Rican Football Federation and the doctor, and Messi has a minor injury.

"The doctor has reviewed it and sees that it is not as it should be.

"Obviously, caution must be taken in these cases and, thinking about everything, we must be sure that the player is able to play - and he is not.

"He has a muscle strain and we do not even know if he will get to play Saturday."

Barcelona confirmed another forward, Bojan Krkic, is also a doubt for the trip to El Madrigal after straining his ankle while playing for Spain Under-21s on Monday.

Guardiola: Tough games coming up

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has warned his side against complacency despite seeing them take a huge lead at the top of La Liga.

After Real Madrid suffered a shock home defeat to Sporting Gijon earlier in the evening on Saturday, Barca extended their lead at the summit to eight points with only eight games remaining by beating Villarreal 1-0.

Madrid coach Jose Mourinho said after his side's loss that it would be "practically impossible" for them to win the title if Barca picked up three points at El Madrigal, and the Catalan giants now look set for a third successive title.

However, Guardiola said: "If with an eight-point advantage with eight games to go you see yourselves as champions, you can only lose the league.

"In the end leagues are won when they are won. There are some terribly tough games to come.

"We have gained the biggest advantage of the season and it's very good, but in sport anything can happen. Madrid are always going to fight until the end. Although it is better to be eight points ahead than five."

Barca defender Gerard Pique, who scored the winner against Villarreal, added: "We have taken a very important step, but there are eight weeks left and that's a lot of points. This isn't decided."

Guardiola was also asked about his interview with Italian television channel Rai Sport that was made public on Friday, in which he was quoted as saying: "I think my time is ending here in Barcelona."

Speaking after the Villarreal match, Guardiola said: "They are statements that you already know, I've not said anything new.

"I didn't say that I'm going to leave, but that I'm closer to the end.

"When you've spent three or four years as coach of a team you are always more closer to the end of your career than continuing. This isn't something that I've just said in Italy, but that I've said on other occasions."

"Pep Guardiola not leaving Barcelona"

Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has dismissed speculation that Pep Guardiola will soon leave the club.

Speaking to Italian television station Rai, Guardiola had indicated that he would leave the La Liga giants at the end of next season, after having signed a one-year contract extension earlier this year.

Zubizarreta, however, has refuted talk of the Catalan's departure, according to reports from Sport.

"He has a contract and he wants to be with us, and that's it," he said.

"Is he on the bench? Yes. Does he have a contract for next year? Yes. What more do we want?"

Zubizaretta added: "What is certain is that he has a contract [until the end of the 2011-12 season]. Anything else does not bother me."

However, given the huge trophy haul that Guardiola has brought to the Nou Camp since his arrival in the summer of 2008, Zubizaretta's comments could well come back to haunt him should the club fail to match the eight trophies won with the manager, should the Barcelona legend finally leave the club.

Guardiola dismisses Rosell prediction

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has played down club president Sandro Rosell's prediction that the Catalans will beat Real Madrid 5-0.

Barca beat Jose Mourinho's Madrid side 5-0 when the sides met at the Nou Camp in the Primera Division earlier this season and Rosell caused controversy by boldly predicting a repeat of that scoreline in the cup final at the Mestalla on April 20.

"I bet on a 5-0 in the cup final, so as not to lose the habit," Rosell said.

But Guardiola diplomatically said: "It is impossible to win the final 5-0 - impossible.

"I do not know if these words will be motivational for Madrid. I know the president's intent was not to offend.

"In my opinion it could have been avoided.

"The president is the most responsible person of the institution. He explained yesterday the reason for this assertion. It was a charity event and the higher the bet the more was received."

He joked: "I don't want to justify it but, if you asked me and it was to collect food for the needy, I would have said we will win 60-0!

"If I had said 60-0 it would not have produced this debate."

Sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta earlier also sought to make light of Rosell's remarks.

"I would be content with a 1-0 win," he said.

"What the president said is simply an anecdote - let's hope we can get back to talking about football again tomorrow."

Barca visit Villarreal tomorrow night and Guardiola will make a late decision on the fitness of Lionel Messi, who missed Argentina's friendly with Costa Rica this week because of a worry over his right groin.

"We'll see how he gets on today and tomorrow we will decide," said Guardiola. "We have matches every three days and we'll see how it is.

"The good news is that Messi has no injury. He has many games but does not come with an injury."

"Pep Guardiola not leaving Barcelona"

Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has dismissed speculation that Pep Guardiola will soon leave the club.

Speaking to Italian television station Rai, Guardiola had indicated that he would leave the La Liga giants at the end of next season, after having signed a one-year contract extension earlier this year.

Zubizarreta, however, has refuted talk of the Catalan's departure, according to reports from Sport.

"He has a contract and he wants to be with us, and that's it," he said.

"Is he on the bench? Yes. Does he have a contract for next year? Yes. What more do we want?"

Zubizaretta added: "What is certain is that he has a contract [until the end of the 2011-12 season]. Anything else does not bother me."

However, given the huge trophy haul that Guardiola has brought to the Nou Camp since his arrival in the summer of 2008, Zubizaretta's comments could well come back to haunt him should the club fail to match the eight trophies won with the manager, should the Barcelona legend finally leave the club.

• 2 weeks later...

Real Madrid vs Barcelona: Key Battles

We look at which match-ups could shape the Champions League semi-final first leg between Real Madrid and Barcelona.

With Barcelona set to claim this season's La Liga title, and Real Madrid having got one over their bitter rivals with a win in the Copa del Rey final, this Champions League semi-final is the best opportunity for either team to assert their superiority over the other.

So, which side will put one foot into the final at Wembley on May 26?

Gonzalo Higuain vs Gerard Pique

Fresh from a hat-trick at third-placed Valencia over the weekend, Higuain showed why despite the abundance of attacking talent at the Santiago Bernabeu, he is still coach Jose Mourinho's first choice striker.

The Argentinian is deceptively fast, but his greatest strength lies in his movement and his finishing ability. Higuain has an uncanny knack of drifting away from his marker unnoticed, before taking up excellent positions in the box. When his team-mates find him with a pass, he has the composure needed to finish.

This is why it will be imperative that Pique does not let the Argentine hitman out of his sight. The Spanish centre-back has established himself as one of the best defenders in the world since arriving at the Nou Camp with his strength and ball-playing ability.

However, his only drawback is his lapses in concentration in times, and he can be troubled by the niftiest of strikers. Keep an eye out on Higuain for 90 minutes, and it will go a long way in helping Victor Valdes keep a clean sheet. Let Higuain out of his sights for just a moment, and Barca may find themselves chasing the game.

Xabi Alonso vs Xavi

The battle of the midfield generals. Xabi Alonso vs Xavi will be a captivating duel in the middle of the park.

Alonso normally has his way in his holding midfield position, with the likes of Sami Khedira and Lassana Diarra winning the ball, before handing it off to him to initiate proceedings. However, you get the feeling Alonso will need to do his fair share of defensive work opposite Xavi.

Xavi is easily one of the greatest midfielders of his generation. He rarely looks in a hurry, but he never delays when he sees an opening, and his incisive passes more often than not lead to goals for the likes of Messi and company.

This may not exactly be a direct duel in the middle of the park between Alonso and Xavi. But in what is likely to be a creative head-to-head, whoever gets more of the ball will get increased opportunities to put their vision and passing ability to full use.

Cristiano Ronaldo vs Dani Alves

It's always difficult to pinpoint who Ronaldo's direct opponent will be. The truth is, he normally does not have one.

His movement between both flanks and through the centre, as well as the free role afforded to him by Mourinho means it is almost impossible to man-mark him. However, make no mistake that the Portuguese star will play on the left flank at some point of time during the match. And that could bring him face to face with Barca's right-back Dani Alves.

It is no secret that Alves definitely prefers to attack more than defend, and for good reason. He has great pace, dribbling prowess, and the ability to whip in a delightful cross for his forward to feed on. However, his ability going forward has masked the fact that in recent time, he has improved his defending.

Still, Alves is prone to having the odd iffy moment. In the quarter-final of the competition, he twice played in Shakhtar attackers with under-hit back passes. On both occasions, Valdes recovered to negate the danger. Do that again on Wednesday night, and Alves can be sure Ronaldo will punish him.

Iker Casillas vs Lionel Messi

It does seem odd matching up a forward against a goalkeeper, especially when you expect someone like Ricardo Carvalho to spend more time against Messi.

However, no matter how tight a leash Carvalho and his colleagues at the back keep Messi on, you cannot deny that the Argentine is going to have a few shots on goal and test the keeper.

Which means there will be a number of occasions where the only thing standing between Messi and putting the ball in the back of the Real net, is Iker Casillas.

Though not a conventional forward, Messi scores so many goals quite simply because he is a deadly finisher. From any angle, on either foot. He rarely powers the ball into the back of the net with venom. Instead, he caresses the ball into all four corners of the goal.

But Casillas is not just any regular goalkeeper. Over the past decade, he has time and again exhibited his full array of goalkeeping abilities. Superhuman reflexes, excellent covering of angles, and an alertness to rush out of his goal when he senses danger.

Iniesta out of Real Madrid clash

Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta has been ruled out of the Champions League semi-final first-leg against Real Madrid.

Barca coach Pep Guardiola made the announcement on Tuesday.

Iniesta, has been suffering from a leg-injury since his side's win over Osasuna over the weekend.

The Catalan side are already without Eric Abidal, Adriano, Maxwell and Bojan Krkic, while Carles Puyol and Gabriel Milito have both been struggling with injuries recently.

Iniesta, who did not train with the Barca squad on Monday due to a calf injury, joined his team-mates for the first 10 minutes of Tuesday's workout at the Bernabeu before departing for further treatment.

"Iniesta is 100% out," Guardiola said of the 26-year-old.

A statement on www.fcbarcelona.cat confirmed: "Andres Iniesta will miss the semi-finals of the Champions League against Real Madrid. He has some discomfort in the right calf which has not allowed him to train with the group today."

In better news for Guardiola, captain Puyol - who has missed the last two games with a hamstring injury - came through training unscathed.

War of words erupts between Barca, Real

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola hit back at Real Madrid counterpart Jose Mourinho as a stunning war of words erupted between the rival coaches.

The teams of the two managers meet in Wednesday's Champions League semi-final first leg.

Speaking earlier on Tuesday, Mourinho launched a stinging attack on Guardiola regarding comments the Barca coach was supposed to have made about certain refereeing decisions.

Mourinho, referring to an example following last week's Copa del Rey final between Madrid and Barca regarding a disallowed Pedro Rodriguez goal for offside, said Guardiola had created a new group of coaches - one that criticises officials when they make correct decisions.

"Up until now we've had two groups of coaches," said the Portuguese. "[There's] a very small group who didn't talk about referees. Then there's a larger group, of which I'm included, of coaches that criticises referees when they make big mistakes.

"And with Pep's statements we've come to a third group, which is a one person group, who criticises good decisions made by the referee. I've never seen this before."

Guardiola refused to take the comments lying down, though, and launched an angry response during his press conference later on Tuesday evening.

The Barca coach said: "Tomorrow [Wednesday] at 8.45 we will meet each other on the pitch. Off the pitch he has already won.

"In this room (press room), he's the f*****g chief, the f*****g man, the person who knows everything about the world and I don't want to compete with him at all.

"It's a type of game I'm not going to play because I don't know how.

"I won't justify my words. I congratulated Madrid for the cup that they won deservedly on the pitch and against a team that I represent and of which I feel very proud."

He added: "Off the pitch, he has already won, as he has done all year.

"On the pitch, we'll see what happens."

Guardiola continued: "If you think that his allegation that I always complain about the referees is true after you've all heard form me over the last three years, well there's nothing I can do. Off the pitch there's nothing we can do to fight that."

Although Guardiola seemed to have been ruffled by Mourinho's apparent mind games, the Barca coach insisted his players would not be affected by all this.

He said: "Do you think the players will run more because I've spoken to Jose through the cameras? It's the Champions League semi-finals. The players won't be motivated by this, they know what I think about everything associated with this game."

Regarding the match, Barca suffered a blow when midfielder Andres Iniesta was ruled out with a calf injury.

Iniesta therefore joins Eric Abidal, Maxwell, Adriano and Bojan Krkic on the sidelines, although there was good news with captain Carles Puyol - who has missed the last two games with a hamstring injury - coming through Tuesday's training session unscathed.

When asked if Iniesta would be fit for next week's second leg, Guardiola said: "We hope that he will be recovered. As for who will play in his place, I don't know. I don't have many players to pick from but someone will step in and we'll see what we can do.

"I feel confident about the players we have. We are coming here proud to defend our style of play, with 12 home-grown players and set to face a team in the semi-finals who have nine European Cups and seven great forwards."

• 2 weeks later...

Guardiola expects different United test

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola expects to face a very different Manchester United side to the one they beat in 2009.

The two teams look set to meet in European football's showpiece at Wembley later this month - a repeat of the final from 2009.

Barca sealed passage to the final thanks to a 1-1 draw - and 3-1 aggregate win - over Real Madrid at the Nou Camp and will face United if, as expected, the Red Devils overcome Schalke at home in the sides' second leg match on Wednesday.

"We will wait and see who will be our opponent and we'll prepare accordingly," Guardiola said.

"But if it's Manchester United then it will be a different game to the final in 2009 - they are a different team with different strikers."

Guardiola's side survived a nervous opening to outclass United in Rome two years ago, but the Barca coach believes that match - a 2-0 victory for the Catalans - was decided by a number of factors.

"A match is decided by many uncontrollable things," he said.

"We were lucky in the beginning of that game and we were a bit better than them after that, but if we meet again it will be a different match.

"We will have to try and find their weaknesses, have the ball and attack."

And Guardiola says he will not be underestimating the Premier League leaders or coach Sir Alex Ferguson.

"They are a great team and he is one of the best in the game - he has shown he can repeat and recreate, and win and win and win in finals."

In the meantime, Guardiola declared himself happy with his side's aggregate win over their fierce rivals Madrid.

"We are very satisfied with what he have achieved," he said.

"We knocked out a great team."

Meanwhile, Madrid assistant coach Aitor Karanka claimed that refereeing decisions had condemned his team to defeat in the semi-final.

"Mourinho was right," the Portuguese's number two said, in reference to a disallowed goal for Gonzalo Higuain early in the second half.

"He said that it would be impossible for us to go through.

"This match proved that it was impossible and 100 million people saw it - there is nothing more to add."

Cristiano Ronaldo did have something to add, however.

"Next year they might as well give the cup directly to Barcelona," said the forward, a losing finalist to Barca in 2009.

"It was Mission Impossible 4."

Madrid keeper Iker Casillas was equally angry.

"It has happened again - just like it always does," he said, alluding to Pepe's controversial sending-off in the first leg.

"We feel tricked and knocked down by the officials."

Play had already been stopped by the time Higuain netted after Javier Mascherano had been inadvertently tripped by a floored Ronaldo.

And Barca full-back Dani Alves dismissed Madrid's complaints as sour grapes.

"Madrid are always trying to draw attention away from the most important thing of all - the football," he said.

Barca club president Sandro Rosell, meanwhile, believes his side can take the moral high ground following the defensive displays and manipulation tactics shown by Madrid.

"The victory is a triumph for football and the values of Barca," he said.

"This makes the history of Barcelona even greater and now we're going back to Wembley, which has a special significance for us."