Bellazon

Clarence Seedorf
Thumbnail

JS[SHRIMP]

MILAN-REGGINA

GOALKEEPERS: Dida, Fiori, Kalac, Offredi;

DEFENDERS: Cafu, Digao, Favalli, Kaladze, Nesta, Serginho, Simic;

MIDFIELDERS: Brocchi, Emerson, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf;

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Inzaghi, Pato, Paloschi.

MILAN-REGGINA: OFFICIAL FORMATIONS

MILAN: Kalac; Cafu, Nesta, Kaladze, Favalli; Gattuso, Pirlo, Brocchi; Kakà, Seedorf; Inzaghi.

REGGINA: Campagnolo; Valdez, Cirillo, Aronica; Vigiani, Barreto, Tognozzi, Modesto; Cozza, Brienza; Amoruso.

AC Milan 5:1 Reggina - match report

Scorers: Kaka pens 8 and 33, 68 (M), Barreto 40 ®, Inzaghi 73 (M), Pato 89 (M)

Kaka proved he is fully recovered with a magnificent performance and hat-trick in this drubbing of Reggina.

There was no room for error as the Rossoneri needed a win to avoid falling seven points behind Fiorentina. Last week's 3-2 defeat at Juventus was a blow, but even worse was their dismal home form, winning just five times at San Siro. Reggina were on a high after beating Sampdoria 1-0, though they remained in the bottom three and had scored just once in their previous six away games. Curiously, this fixture hadn't ended in a draw for nine editions, since the 2-2 in December 1999.

Alexandre Pato returned from a mysterious muscular injury to sit on the bench, though Daniele Bonera and Massimo Ambrosini were banned with Paolo Maldini, Ronaldo, Marek Jankulovski and Emerson sidelined. Reggina made the trip without Emanuele Cascione, Maurizio Lanzaro and Montiel.

In the opening minute Salvatore Aronica and Francesco Modesto collided, allowing Cristian Brocchi to fire a right-foot shot on the bounce on to the side-netting.

The referee pointed to the spot when Modesto tackled Kaka in the box as he was lining up the shot. The Brazilian got back up to send Andrea Campagnolo the wrong way and bury the powerful penalty.

Reggina fought back with a Valdez header testing Zeljko Kalac, but Campagnolo palmed Kaka's cross-shot out from under the bar and parried a Kakha Kaladze angled drive with his feet.

Kaka has now recovered from his injury problems and it showed, as he was swarming around the Amaranto defence. Pippo Inzaghi's backheel set up Kaka for a fierce strike that Campagnolo parried.

The referee awarded a second penalty for a Luca Vigiani trip on Clarence Seedorf and this time Kaka took a different approach, rolling it gently into the other angle.

However, Reggina got back into it with an absolute screamer from Barreto. He controlled a clearance just outside the D and smashed the rocket into the top corner past a helpless Kalac.

A Seedorf rocket skimmed the bar, but after the restart Barreto went off in agony after an accidental clash of knees with Seedorf.

Inzaghi's diving header whistled wide and Campagnolo pushed an Andrea Pirlo piledriver out from under the crossbar.

Kaka's acrobatic backheel sent Inzaghi clear on goal, but the Italian was closed down as he was lining up the shot by some desperate defending. However, some chaotic play at the back almost gifted Reggina an equaliser, as Kaladze had to come sliding in to stop a tap-in from six yards.

Kaka was comfortably man of the match and completed his hat-trick. Brocchi's cross was chested down for a precise low first time finish into the far bottom corner.

There were penalty appeals from Reggina for a Kaladze handling offence on Franco Brienza's cross, but the referee waved play on.

Alexandre Pato made his comeback and created the fourth goal almost immediately. His shot was deflected on to the upright by Campagnolo and Inzaghi was ready to pounce on the loose ball.

Pato got his name on the scoresheet eventually with a powerful header on Yoan Gourcuff's cross from the right.

Milan: Kalac; Cafu (Simic 76), Nesta, Kaladze, Favalli; Gattuso (Gourcuff 80), Pirlo, Brocchi; Kaka, Seedorf (Pato 69); Inzaghi

Reggina: Campagnolo; Valdez (Alvarez 69), Cirillo, Aronica; Vigiani, Barreto (Misiroli 48), Tognozzi, Modesto (Costa 82); Cozza, Brienza; Amoruso

Ref: Farina

Player Ratings: Milan 5-1 Reggina

Carlo Garganese rates the players on show at San Siro this afternoon…

Kalac – 5.5: A few nervy moments, and one of these almost allowed Vigiani to equalize when the score was 2-1. Was completely blameless on Barreto’s goal.

Cafu - 7: One of Cafu’s best games in a Milan shirt this season. Bombed up-and-down the right flank all afternoon.

Nesta – 6.5: Nullified the threat of Reggina’s lone frontman Amoruso, even if he made one mistake at 2-1 that could have resulted in a leveller for Cozza.

Kaladze – 6: A sound game from the Georgian, even if he did have the odd lapse of concentration. Almost scored down the other end in the first half.

Favalli – 6.5: It is so easy to be critical of Favalli, but today he offered a steady, if not spectacular, performance.

Gattuso – 7: Still failing to convince me that he will ever return to his old levels. But having said this he definitely won the midfield battle today.

Pirlo - 8: A welcome return to form. Some of his through-passes were simply out of this world. A genius when he is in the mood.

Brocchi – 6.5: Lots of quantity from the veteran, who as usual never stopped running and fighting. Had a few efforts at goal as well.

Kaka – 9: Simply unplayable. Went on countless mazy runs, one of which led to the first penalty. Stuck away both spot-kicks with aplomb, before completing is hat-trick in the second period. The Kaka of last season is back!

Seedorf – 6.5: Blew hot and cold. Won the second penalty and had a fantastic long shot that just went wide, but also misplaced a few passes.

Inzaghi – 8.5: His link-up play with Kaka was telepathic at times. Scored one, but could have had a hat-trick also. Looks really sharp at the moment, and is certainly giving Italy coach Roberto Donadoni something to think about ahead of Euro 2008.

Subs: Pato 8, Simic 6, Gourcuff 6.5

LIKE THIS UNTIL THE END

At the end of the big win against Reggina, the Rossoneri are happy about their performance and charged up for this final part of the season in the race for the Champions League – THE ROSSONERI’S DECLARATIONS -

MILAN – These are the declarations of the Rossoneri players at the end of Milan-Reggina 5-1:

KAKA':

“It’s always a great personal satisfaction to score a hat-trick, but what pleases me most is to be useful to my team and my team-mates. I like to be decisive, it makes me feel good, and managing to do it with three goals is even nicer.

“This result gives us an extra motivation to end the season well because a win which arrives in this way gives us the motivation to play the final four games of the season like today. We must think about doing our duty, winning the twelve points available and then see what Fiorentina will do. They are having an excellent season, they also have the Uefa Cup commitment, but before everything Milan must think to do well in the next games. Before going on the pitch today, I had scored seventy five goals, with today’s hat-trick I reached seventy eight and I’m really happy. I hope to reach the target of the hundred goals with the Milan shirt soon.

“Ronaldinho? I always had the possibility to play with him in the national team and we have always found each other well. Being able to play together would surely be nice. On the transfer market rumours about Gattuso in these last few days I believe that Rino is an image for this Milan, he has his reasons, but I think that they are reasons for him to remain.”

FILIPPO INZAGHI:

“I’m happy about today’s result as well as the performance of the team. There is a bit of a disappointment because today we saw the old Milan side, the Milan side which entertains. Right now we are all well and when the situation is like this, the results then arrive. We must not forget that right now we are all well and when the situation is like this, the results arrive. We must not forget what Milan was who won the Club World Cup and a European Super Cup. I would have preferred facing Arsenal with a Milan side in these conditions, but unfortunately we suffered too many injuries. Today we saw a great Milan which could compete with everyone and now we must reach the objective of the fourth place to have a place in the next Champions League.

“Personally I arrived at ninety five goals and the thirteenth one in the season, and considering the fact that for three months I did not train, and for me it is important to be fine. I’ve been training for three weeks every day and when I don’t feel pain, things then arrive all alone.

“Gilardino? I think that Alberto must remain serene. He’s a Milan wealth, he’s loved by everyone. Even I in the past went through a similar moment, but seeing him everyday during training I see that he is fine and I’m convinced that a goal can be useful to him from now until the end of the season.

“With regards to my possible call-up by Roberto Donadoni for the European Championships, I believe that first I must do well with the Milan shirt, then if something more will arrive, very good, otherwise I will go on holiday!”

CLARENCE SEEDORF:

“We are recovering the goals which we failed to score in other games. We’re happy, from our side the hope is always there and now we have four games to win all available points.

“In these days there have been many rumours around Milan, we are used and when we go on the pitch we remain concentrated on that which is our objective, the fourth place. At times outside the pitch we can talk with the right maturity of certain topics. With regards to Gattuso, I consider him like a brother, a player with whom I find myself well and with whom I shared many difficult moments and we have won a lot together. I think that he would deserve to end his career here at Milan. Even in the past, I always said that on the choices of a player, factors which are not related to football could influence him and lead him to take important decisions, but I hope that he stays with us.”

Seedorf To Ronaldinho: You’re Not Having Number 10

Milan midfielder Clarence Seedorf has again told imminent new signing Ronaldinho that he will not be having the number 10 shirt next season.

The Italian press has been full of talk about a possible clash between the two players if, as expected, Ronaldinho completes his move to San Siro from Barcelona.

Seedorf already warned the Brazilian last week that he would not be giving up his favoured number 10 shirt, and he has now repeated himself.

"All players have a favourite number and they will always try to get it wherever they go,” said Seedorf.

"But really, if there is particular need or superstition, we can talk."

Nevertheless Milan Vice President has moved to reassure Seedorf, and has stated that the mythical number 10 will indeed be staying with him.

"The No10 stays with Seedorf next season," said the bald-headed transfer guru.

Seedorf was in action during yesterday’s emphatic 5-1 win over Reggina at the Stadio Meazza.

The 32-year-old won the second penalty from which Kaka doubled the scores, while he also flashed a stunning 30-yard strike just inches past the post.

LIVORNO-MILAN

GOALKEEPERS: Fiori, Kalac, Offredi;

DEFENDERS: Oddo, Bonera, Digao, Favalli, Kaladze, Nesta, Jankulovski;

MIDFIELDERS: Brocchi, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kaka, Pirlo, Seedorf;

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Inzaghi, Pato, Paloschi.

Seedorf: We Have To Win Them All

AC Milan's Clarence Seedorf talked about the highly anticipated derby next weekend against Inter.

With only five days to go before the highly anticipated derby of Milan, the tension is starting to build between the two camps. AC Milan playmaker Clarence Seedorf, who also played two seasons for Inter, talked about the match today.

"At the moment I see a very strong Inter side," he said, "they can afford to control games and they don't need to take huge risks. This has to be an important signal for us, because we know we will face a team who know exactly what they want."

Still, it seems the Rossoneri have more reason for optimism at the moment, as they are certainly in a better period of form than a while ago, having score nine goals in their last two league games (albeit against bottom clubs Reggina and Livorno). The Dutch number 10 assures that he knows what the team's objective should be.

"In any case we are doing well right now, we have three games left in which we have to get nine points and then see what Fiorentina do," he concluded.

Currently the Viola are the team holding that coveted fourth spot, although Milan came two points closer last weekend after the Tuscan side were held to a 2-2 draw at home by Sampdoria.

AT THE RIGHT MOMENT

Dutch midfielder Clarence Seedorf talked at the Milanello sporting center about the team's week ahead of the game against Inter. - THE DECLARATIONS OF CLARENCE SEEDORF -

MILANELLO - Here are the declarations made by Clarence Seedorf to Milan Channel's microphones after the training session:

Clarence, we are in the week that leads to the match on Sunday against Inter...

"At the moment I see a very strong Inter. They have to control their games and they don't need to take any big risks. This must be an important signal to us because we know we will find a team who know exactly what they want. In any case we are doing well right now, we have three games left in which we have to get three points and then see what Fiorentina do.

I think it's right to celebrate every single victory, each game in this period is important, also the one on Sunday against Livorno. There's still a lot of time to get ready and we don't need the whole week to do it ahead of the derby, we will be ready at the right moment. The important thing is to have the tranquility and serenity in our work, without thinking about the game all the time. We have to stay calm, and prepare the game against Inter the same way we have done with the other games these last weeks."

What is the best memory you have of a derby?

"Certainly the goal I scored to make it 3-2 when we came back from 2-0 down. It was very significant because it helped us to win the Scudetto."

Ibrahimovic's absence?

"Inter continued to win despite his absence because they are still a strong team, with five very good strikers who can make the difference."

THE DERBY? I LIVE IT PEACEFULLY

Without fears, always with his head held high, Clarence Seedorf spoke today during the press conference. Topics? Derby, final part of the season and sharp responses – SEEDORF’S DECLARATIONS -

Clarence Seedorf was present for today’s press conference at Milanello, where he faced many topics on which he was called to respond. First of all the team’s performance in the league: "We know that we did not give our best. We have never been consistent in the home results, but there wasn’t just this factor. I think that since Kaka modified his tactical attitude the team took advantage of it. Yes, because it’s fair that he helps out in the defensive phase, but one with his characteristics it’s not correct that he goes back too much. I say that both of us find ourselves always better on the tactical level. Another thing which has affected is the condition, which we found only in the final part of the season. When you know you have it, everything is different. Let’s take the case of the attack: for a long time there were too many who were not in great form and now that they are the goals arrive. Even I was not brilliant for a certain period, I noticed it. There was a moment in which we had even 10 players injured. In a season it's normal that there should be moments of sacrifices, but you cannot give your best. In these moments we reacted well and this is proven by the fact that we are still in the race for the fourth place. In other words, we want to end the season well."

The derby is coming up…with which sensations? “I live it very peacefully. In these games it's easy to find the motivations, also because it's easily to find them against Inter more than against Livorno, but last Sunday we wanted to make a particular effort so that it would be even more interesting the clash against Inter."

The experienced player was asked for an opinion about the young Balotelli: “He’s a good player, he’s a good talent and must be managed. We saw him play sometimes and we believe that we know how to behave on the pitch. For those who say that he must grow because on the pitch he has certain attitudes I say that he has a good master, considering that Mancini was a hot head. Therefore he knows how to teach him to make him grow well. Ibra is not find, but there are Cruz, Crespo, Suazo…so you take away one, you put someone else in who is not worth little. A bit like in defence: if they have half of them out, they manage to put in another important element and the team is still strong.”

Materazzi is still praising the fact that the third Scudetto is coming up, emphasizing the first one, which arrived like everyone remembers. This is Seedorf's opinion: "You either have elegance or you don't. The players, in this issue, are the least involved. There should be more respect amongst us. Your colleagues should not be offended, who have done their best for a whole year.”

Last topic is that of the team’s quality and how much it could be useful in the next season: “With these players we have obtained more than Inter at international level. Maybe Inter has more quality, but we have won. This group is strong and even those who are on the bench. When we play we are happy and we can celebrate all together, and it’s also them who give us the motivations to make the coach understand that he made the right choices. It’s also for this reason that I say that going on the market you must do so conscious of what is really needed and not to make fireworks.”

Before ending, another reply to a provocation by Vieira, on the Champions League won last year: “We did not choose the Champions League because after 10 games we were 20 points behind the league leaders. We won it because we deserved it, despite playing without a normal preparation. For this reason we had a bit of difficulties in the league. The real season in which we must admit that we made something wrong is the current one."

Seedorf To Inter: We’ve Won More Than You

Clarence Seedorf has reminded Inter ahead of this weekend’s derby that Milan have won more trophies than them.

More Trophies

This week the Italian press has been dominated by Sunday’s big clash at San Siro, a game in which Inter will be looking to clinch the Scudetto, and Milan will be hoping to continue their chase of fourth placed Fiorentina.

“I look forward to it very peacefully,” Seedorf said in today’s press conference.

“In these games it's easy to find the motivation, more so than against Livorno, but last Sunday we wanted to make a particular effort so that the Inter clash would be even more interesting.

“With our players we have obtained more than Inter at international level. Maybe Inter has more quality, but we have won.

“Our group is strong and even those who are on the bench. When we play we are happy and we can celebrate all together, and it’s also them who give us the motivation to make the coach understand that he made the right choices.

“It’s also for this reason that I say that going on the market you must do so conscious of what is really needed and not to make fireworks.”

Vieira

Seedorf then replied to Patrick Vieira’s provocation earlier this week that Milan snubbed Serie A for the Champions League last year because they were so far behind Inter after just 10 games.

“We did not choose the Champions League because after 10 games we were 20 points behind the league leaders,” he stated.

“We won it because we deserved it, despite playing without any normal preparation.

“For this reason we had a bit of difficulties in the league. The real season in which we must admit that we made something wrong is the current one."

Balotelli

Finally Seedorf passed comment on Inter’s 17-year-old sensation Mario Balotelli.

“He’s a good player, he’s a good talent and must be managed,” the Dutchman warned, referring to his slightly fiery temperament.

“For those who say that he must grow because on the pitch he has certain attitudes I say that he has a good master, considering that Mancini was a hot head.

“Therefore he knows how to teach him to make him grow well.”

Player Ratings: Milan 2-1 Inter

Carlo Garganese rates the players on show at San Siro yesterday afternoon…

Kalac – 6.5: Slightly nervy at times but made one excellent stop from Crespo’s one-on-one and also produced a smart stop from Maxwell’s free kick.

Bonera - 7: Impressive display from the former Parma man, who was equally adept both defensively and offensively. His crossing was also good.

Nesta – 7.5: Proved once again why he is one of, if not the best, centre back in the world. Gave a lesson in the art of slide tackling today.

Kaladze – 6.5: The Georgian breezed through the first 60 minutes without working up a sweat, but had to be alert as Inter upped the ante late in the game.

Favalli – 7: Excellent in the first half before he was forced off on 41 minutes with an ankle injury. Bombed forward repeatedly down the left-hand side. A real surprise.

Ambrosini – 9: Superb in the middle-of-the-park. Ambrosini was first to every ball, got stuck in, distributed well, and was a real leader. Created Kaka’s goal, and won his battle with Vieira hands down.

Gattuso – 7.5: Gattuso’s most impressive game for Milan possibly this season. Won every tackle he went in for, and was a real presence. Did tire though and was eventually substituted.

Pirlo – 6: Far from his best game, but still Pirlo started many of Milan’s moves with some neat and clever passes. His free kicks were disappointing.

Seedorf – 8.5: Such a delight to watch when he in this form. One of the few old-school number 10’s left in the game. Inter could not get the ball off him.

Kaka – 8.5: If it wasn’t already evident – Kaka is back. Created Milan’s first for Inzaghi, scored the second, while he also presented SuperPippo with two excellent chances in the first half. Rivas couldn’t handle him.

Inzaghi – 8.5: His movement is at times unplayable. Inzaghi broke the deadlock following a trademark run to the near post. He could have scored four today, twice being denied by Julio Cesar, and heading centimetres wide. Must go to Euro 2008.

Subs: Jankulovski 6, Brocchi 6, Pato 5.5

HOLLAND, EURO 2008: SEEDORF'S THERE

MILAN - Dutch national coach Marco Van Basten has made up a list of 30 players who are eligible for Euro 2008. The list will have to be reduced to 23 players before 28 May. Clarence Seedorf is one of the ten midfielders on this list. Holland has been drawn in a group alongside Italy, France, and Romania.