Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Leo sighting:

Leonardo DiCaprio and Lukas Haas, Christmas shopping at LA’s Century City Shopping Center on Sunday, December 21, 2008 (6pm).

The Star of Revolutionary Road was sporting a leather bomber jacket and baseball cap. He was hanging out with his BFF, checking out different shops, cup of coffee in hand, enjoying the Holiday time.

Leo even had time to stop and sign an autograph for a fan.

http://thepoprepublic.com/tpr/sighting-1030

Leonardo DiCaprio tells us the intimate details about his new film, violently fighting and passionately loving the character played by his former co-star Kate Winslet, their experiences together making Titanic, and his personal life offscreen.

Emmanuel Itier: There’s been a lot of expectations about you and Kate [Winslet] working together. Did the pressure affect the chemistry between you two?

Leonardo DiCaprio: Never, no. We both knew that we needed to find a special project to do together, if we were going to work together again. I know that Kate, to me, is the best actress of her generation, but we did do that film Titanic together. We didn’t want to tread on similar territory; we needed to do something different but at the same time the right project that was genuine and well-written enough, with all the right elements in place. This was something that she shepherded for a long period of time to make in to a movie. Luckily, she asked me if I wanted to do it. At certain times, we all shepherd things, but this was something that she had been working on for many, many years. I was struck by the ultra realism of these characters; it was voyeuristic in a way. I felt like I shouldn’t be listening to this relationship unravel; you shouldn’t be listening to these characters having these conversations. It felt uncomfortable in a lot of ways. That, to me, said that this is really truthful stuff. This is really what [Richard] Yates was able to accomplish in that book, which was pretty incredible.

EI: Was it hard — emotionally demanding?

LDC: Yes, it was emotionally demanding, definitely. There are some very difficult scenes to do, but the way that Sam Mendes, the director, had set this film up for us as actors was really incredible. I think this is attributed to his experience making plays and his stage work. He really approached this like a theatre experience; we did a tremendous amount of rehearsal beforehand and we did the whole movie in sequential order, so basically, if we weren’t sure of the trajectory the way our characters would unravel, we knew that we would live the life of these characters for four or five months. You have to understand that that’s a really rare thing to be able to have happen when you make a movie. Usually you’re locked into certain locations at certain times so you’re doing the end of the movie first or the beginning of the movie last — everything’s mixed up. But by doing it like that, it really gave us the scope of our characters. By the time we ended up shooting, toward the end of the movie, we had all this pent up stuff that we just sort of released! It was great. It was a great feeling to do a movie like that.

EI: How did you relate to that character, even though you’re not married?

LDC: I think it’s just a very great portrayal of a human being with all their insecurities, all the problems that we have. I think that he’s just a normal guy that’s trying his best, and I think he just wants a little bit of recognition for doing that and he’s unable to get that from his wife. When I first read the script and the first quarter of the movie is about his affair with his secretary, you find him tremendously unsympathetic, but as the movie goes on, you see his desperation in wanting to salvage the love he has in his relationship. What’s interesting is that he’s not the hero of the movie; he’s the one that’s willing to conform to his existence; he’s willing to lead a life that is unfulfilled and he’s desperately trying to hold on to that. He’s the son of his father. His father has had unfulfilled dreams in being a successful person, and he becomes a result of that as well.

EI: Did this movie scare you off? Are you never going to get married again?

LDC: [Laughs] I think that this film is very much about two people who were destined not to be together. I don’t think it’s a very good reflection of how relationships or marriage has the potential to be at all. I think that these people -– no matter whether they live in the ’50s or the suburbs, whether they went to Paris or not –- they’re two trains that run on separate tracks and who are destined to not be together.

EI: So you are going to get married one day?

LDC: I will not talk about anything having to do with that because it always gets twisted around. [Laughs]

EI: You were talking about Kate before. What is it that you guys have? Why are you such close friends?

LDC: We’ve known each other for such a long period of time. We went through an incredibly different movie to make. We both lived through that whole post-experience of that film, but more so than any of that, we’re just great friends. Since meeting each other, we’ve remained great friends. How it translates into the work environment is that it gives you the innate ability to know that you can go to the very far depths with somebody performance-wise because you have a tremendous trust that I know the limits, I know where to go. We both know each other so innately well.

EI: Can you give an example? A place of where you could go or cannot go with her?

LDC: I don’t have a specific example, but I’d say the fight scenes are the best scenes to talk about. Not only do I know that, on a core level, Kate can handle that, but that she’s going to give everything back that you give to her. She’s just a tremendous powerhouse actress; she’s just amazing. We relished when those moments would come because we knew we were going to go there with each other, and we were excited for that moment. It was the anticipation of, “Oh, how badly am I going to break that chair,” and “how close is it going to come to your face?” When you know that you have somebody who’s going to give it right back to you, it makes it so exciting. What makes a good working relationship is the ability to know that you don’t need to be precious with someone. You can be cut-throat and honest about what you think about the material or what’s going on in the scene, and it always comes from a place of that person’s best interests.

EI: I have to ask you what the sex scene was like. You had Sam and Kate there. She said you were totally cool…

LDC: You’d have to ask them because they’re the ones who are married. You’d have to ask Sam how he felt. For me, we’ve done that kind of stuff before in movies. I felt kind of comfortable with the whole thing.

EI: Did you discover something about her in this experience that you didn’t discover during the first movie?

LDC: What I’d always known but what reminded me again about her is just by virtue of being a great English actress, she’s such a real human being. She’s a down-to-earth, regular kind of girl who is so honest about who she is and even her faults or things that she feels she’s good at. She’s just a great, real person, and I think that maybe there’s possibly an aristocratic vibe that she gives off because of the mere fact that she is, like I said, British and fucking unbelievably talented. But she’s just the most down-to-earth gal around and just a great person. I can’t really pinpoint it. Just a great person.

EI: Forgive me for asking a very personal question. This year, your grandmother passed away. How do you deal with situations like that?

LDC: We all deal with those things personally, in our own way. It is personal, but she was a wonderful woman that a lot of who she was is instilled in me. I’ll miss her dearly. That’s all I’ll say about that.

EI: You’re in a position to use your fame to make the world a better place…

LDC: You mean the philanthropic side?

EI: Or the environmental issues…

LDC: For me, it’s just something that came about organically — not to use a pun on words, but it did. It was a point in time, post-Titanic, where I didn’t work, where I said I want to get involved in something that I care about. That all came about watching documentary films on ecological issues or planetary destruction or species that then sort of lead me to be able to meet with Al Gore, which was a huge opportunity at the time. He told me about global warming and issues like that, and then I got involved. What’s been amazing about this whole process is that literally, in the last four years, there has been a complete cultural shift. It was an impassioned minority that were talking about these issues, and now it’s a global issue that people realize needs to be handled in a very serious way, because the ramifications are very scary and daunting, and the scientific consensus is now there. So it’s been amazing to watch this sort of cultural shift happening in a more positive direction. Now that isn’t to say that anything has been tangibly done about it, because I think very little has been done worldwide to make a substantial difference. We still have coal-burning smoke stacks all over, we’re still reliant on oil all over the world, but at least the awareness is there, and now it’s up to the will of the people pushing the governments involved to make this integrated into everyday life, and that’s their responsibility.

EI: Do you buy eco-clothes?

LDC: I do all that, but, without getting into my solar panels and my hybrid car, I feel like that argument segregates a group of people, and I think that’s not the right way to approach the issue. It’s not telling people how to live; it’s not saying you should be judged because you don’t drive a certain car or have the right light bulbs or don’t buy this… To me, it’s about cultural awareness — that’s the whole point of the issue. As much as it is important to change your light bulbs and be green and all that stuff, it is important but it’s gonna be a collective thing on a massive level. When the argument gets shifted into the judgment of people and how you live your life and if you’re “green” or not, this muddies the issue in a way that I think is not productive for the overall problem. This is a cultural and global shift that needs to happen on a massive level. These things should be integrated into everyone’s lives. Things should be made more efficient. They should have a concern for the planet and global emissions, and it should be integrated into everything we buy.

EI: Can you tell us about the film you just finished? You’re the next Robert DeNiro… And the relationship between you and [Martin] Scorcese…

LDC: Well, I think it’s a far different dynamic. Those were contemporaries starting out together, and through that relationship forged to me probably the greatest film relationship ever. You’re speaking to a younger actor that is in a different mindset of tremendous honor and respect of being able to work with someone who I think is the greatest filmmaker alive. So I’m bestowed with that honor. I can’t really even begin to make a comparison like that. All I know is that I do feel a kinship with him. I feel like, ever since we met, we do share a taste in what we like film-wise and artistically. We say, you know, “That movie has been deemed as great, but I don’t really think it’s great,” and he says, “No, no, I don’t really like it either!” And so that’s where it forged, but he’s been a mentor to me. What can I say? Who wouldn’t want to or feel like it’s a gift to work with that guy?

EI: You used to have fun with Tobey Maguire going out, partying…that was ten years ago. What are you doing now to have fun? What is the mature 30-something Leonardo doing?

LDC: My favorite thing to do is talk to press on days off! I like talking about this movie, I do. It’s good. It’s been interesting. These movies I’ve done, I’ve literally worked for two years straight. When you’re an actor, your whole life goes on hold and you kind of have to go back away from location, and you realize you’ve changed and everyone around has changed. It’s a constant game of catch-up, “Oh wow, you had a baby. Let’s see the baby. I gotta go to the next location!” When you’re working at that pace, especially far from home, it’s a very weird dynamic to balance.

EI: Is traveling fun?

LDC: I love traveling, but sometimes…for example, when you’re off for a year of your life in Africa, you kind of want to go home for awhile. As wonderful and rewarding as these locations can be, you just want to go home.

EI: What do you do to reconnect?

LDC: I’m from Los Angeles; my family is all there. It’s catching up. It’s bizarre to be away that long and see how everyone’s lives have changed. I kind of calculated it’s been about eight years of making movies, so I subtract that and then you find my maturity level and you’ll find out how old I really am!

EI: Could you envision setting out, leaving everything behind, exploring life and yourself?

LDC: Sure, and there’s going to be a lot of opportunity for that in the future. I feel like I’ve been given a tremendous opportunity to choose the movies I want to do, and this is my time to be able to do that as an actor and fulfill the dreams I had as a younger actor. I have friends in the industry and I know how hard it is — how lucky you are to be able to steer the course of your career. It’s something I look at as a gift, and all other things are kind of put on hold.

EI: Looking back at the younger Leonardo of Titanic, what would you tell him?

LDC: I think I knew a lot of the same things and I think I was responding to it, but what happened was it became so much about the publicity surrounding that movie, about it being the biggest movie of all time, and with it culturally, globally reaching so many people, that it became less about the work. But as a movie, I think that Titanic is a great film and it’s given me unbelievable opportunities. What I would tell that younger person is it’s all about the work. I knew that at the time, but I was having to concentrate on so many other things that had nothing to do with the work.

EI: You mentioned that you had to do a scene with Kate and you weren’t in the mood. Is this true?

LDC: I have no memory of that whatsoever.

EI: There were like 13 takes of you and Kate, and then they played the Titanic song.

LDC: Oh, the only time I remember that is it was kind of a joke. I will unequivocally say that the way that is presented is absolutely not true. There is no way that that song changed the course of the way we did the scene. It wasn’t a joke — it’s a great song and everything…

EI: You don’t like the song?

LDC: I never said that! You know what I’m saying…

EI: Do you have any anecdotes about doing Titanic…

LDC: If there was an anecdote, it would be that. We played the song and everybody was smiling and laughing because we did…not a reenactment, but we were just kind of standing there. All Kate and I did was laugh and stuff to each other in between takes. When we weren’t concentrating on how heavy the movie was, that was our release — like two catty little girls in the corner.

EI: Would you engage in the making of another documentary, such as the making of The Eleventh Hour?

LDC: I would love to. I have a television series that’s on right now, which just got picked up for another season, called Greensburg. It’s about building the most sustainable city ever in this place Greensburg, Kansas that was devastated by a hurricane. I want to keep doing stuff like that. It’s hard because there isn’t always a huge marketplace for it; they’re difficult to finance. We got the last one done, and anything like that is great. Al Gore’s movie…I’ve never seen a documentary in my life or heard of one that had more of a global impact than that film. When he was able to portray the science of man’s contribution or contributions of global warming emissions and show the result of it on a specific graph, doing core samples of ice, showing the mathematics… Even if everyone in the world didn’t do it, it awoke the world to an issue that I’ve never seen before, and it completely changed the environmental movement forever.

EI: What are your wishes for 2009?

LDC: I hope everyone supports our new president Obama in implementing all the new plans he has for the change in American politics. That’s all… I think he’s got the right idea and the right plans for the future, and I hope he can implement some fundamental changes very fast…not only, of course, economically, foreign policy-wise, having to do with the war and the environment across the board… We’ve been looking for this for a long time, and it’s finally here.

EI: Were you around election night?

LDC: I was in Rome election night, and I was very excited. I was doing publicity for Body of Lies, so I stayed up all night and could barely answer questions the next day ’cause I only had two hours of sleep. I had to see that happen because I was also in Rome when Gore lost to Bush in 2004, so I needed to have a different [experience], but then again, we still didn’t know for three months later in Italy who the hell won.

EI: Did you have Champagne?

LDC: I sure did!

http://www.buzzine.com/2008/12/leonardo-dicaprio-interview/

The Stars hit West Hollywood’s Guys Lounge the day after Christmas.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Lukas Haas arrived together and immediately headed to LA Nightlife King Sam Nazarian’s table. Leo was all bundled up, in a navy blue coat and navy blue baseball cap…as was Haas in a leather jacket. The 2 actors weren’t drinking, rather just kicking back and enjoying the night. Rick Fox joined the party around 1am.

http://thepoprepublic.com/tpr/sighting-1058

Leo Sighting:

Leonardo DiCaprio, ordering a drink at the bar and scoping out the scene at Guy's Lounge in Hollywood. The actor, who arrived after 1 a.m., was typically incognito under a baseball cap, but made his way around the lounge to greet his guy friends and hug hello with some women before leaving as the lights came up at closing time.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20249311,00.html

LEO SAVES STRAY DOG

“Titanic” duo LEONARDO DICAPRIO and KATE WINSLET, together again in “Revolutionary Road,” took a stroll through the upstate New York town where they’d been filming – and Kate suddenly shrieked when she spotted a Labrador puppy wander off the sidewalk, into the path of an approaching SUV!

Leosprinted into the street, waved off the SUV and called the pup, who came running with tail wagging.

Kate grabbed the pooch, found an address on its tag, so she and Leo walked it home and rang the bell.

The lady who opened the door gasped at the sight of two Hollywood superstars and yelled for her hubby – who was equally stunned.

Kate told them Fido had nearly been squished, and Leo suggested buying a sturdier latch for their backyard gate.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/leo_save_d...ikewalker/64237