Bellazon

Ujjwala Raut
Thumbnail

funnyfan

• 4 weeks later...
Hubby accuses Ujjwala Raut of abuse

MUMBAI MIRROR 18 August 2009, 11:25am IST

It was a marriage made in heaven. It’s a divorce set in hell.

The very public falling out between India’s biggest international supermodel Ujjwala Raut and her Englishman husband Maxwell Sterry just got messier with Sterry sending out graphic letters to the media accusing Raut of abuse and intimidation.

At the centre of this bitter feud is their three-year-old daughter Ksha.

Dahisar girl Ujjwala, who has walked the ramp for the world’s leading designers like Ungaro, Cavalli, Gucci and Paul Smith, married model-turned-entrepreneur Sterry at an exclusive ceremony hosted by David Bowie and his wife Iman five years ago. But their jet-set marriage soon began to unravel as their careers took them on different paths, leading to much bitterness and even a slasher-style knife attack.

Sterry, who is contesting Ujjwala’s divorce plea in Mumbai saying he would respond only in New York where they were married and where their child was born, has now accused the supermodel of intimidation and trying to get him deported from the country.

Things between them reached a head on December 10 last year, alleges Sterry, when Ujjwala entered their Goa home and “started to use abusive language in front of our daughter and myself. When I asked her to stop, she grabbed my neck. I pushed her back in self-defence; she lost her balance and fell to the floor. She then ran to the kitchen, opened the kitchen drawer and picked up a big knife and turned on me. I ran back and shut the door. Ujjwala started to stab the door with the knife and trying to kick the door down, screaming and swearing.

I was holding the door down with all my strength and our daughter was crying sitting on the bed, I was terrified. Momentarily it stopped, then I head a loud breaking of glass. Ujjwala had smashed the bathroom window and was climbing inside the room with the knife in her hand. I grabbed Ksha in my arms and headed out of the bedroom. Ujjwala followed quickly behind us. I ran to the street, where she finally stopped her pursuit,” he has alleged in his letter to the media.

According to Sterry, the matter was resolved by Mapusa Police Station, following an FIR filed by both parties, each claiming that the other was attempting to kill them. “Ujjwala used her bloodied knee, caused by her trying to kick down the bedroom door. I was put in a lock-up. After subsequent meetings and interviews by the Mapusa police, they advised Ujjwala to retract her FIR on grounds of insufficient evidence to verify her claims.” Both Raut and Sterry withdrew their respective FIRs. When contacted, the Mapusa Police Station confirmed this incident. “This matter has been going on for months. There have been complaints and counter-complaints by both sides,” said an official from the station. On the 12th of January, Raut returned to Mumbai with Ksha and filed a divorce petition, stating that she was terrified for her and her daughter’s life.

But this concern for their daughter, alleges Sterry, is new-found. “There are only two occasions that Ujjwala has looked after Ksha single-handedly, first, when she was five months old, when I initially went back to Goa from New York to get our house in order, and the second time when she was two-and-a-half years old, between June 20 until September 10, 2008. When she was brought back from New York, the child was skinny and had to be fed every two hours, and she was taking suppositories to go to the toilet. Within a week of being with me, she was eating three meals a day and going to the toilet without the use of artificial help,” he claims.

But following the knife incident, Ujjwala filed a divorce petition in the Bandra Family Court, citing danger to her and her daughter’s life from Sterry. But just a month later, she asked him to pick up Ksha at the airport on February 14 because she had to go to Italy on an assignment. “This is a woman who is stating in court in a sworn document that I, her husband, am a danger to her and the child’s life, yet she has no hesitation in asking me to look after her because she wants to go to Italy,” he says.

When she returned from Italy, Sterry, who is a director with a mining company in India, says, her hard partying and late nights again left him to take care of Ksha. During this time she also went to the State Bank of India,

Mapusa branch, and terminated their joint account. “She then put a notice in a local newspaper, Navhind Times, saying I had abandoned my child and took no interest in her well-being.” This is the last, Sterry claims, to have seen his daughter. Ujjwala took Ksha and moved to Mumbai, but not to be with her parents, as she states, he alleges, but to live with her lover, a Bandra-based builder.

Sterry now claims that she is using her influence to harass him. In the last two weeks his PIO (Person of Indian Origin) card has been revoked, and there have been cops at his door. “The Foreigners Registration Office wanted me to go over and sign an undertaking that I would leave the country within 72 hours. My lawyers then told me to go in hiding since there were several public holidays coming up and I would not be able to file a petition challenging this order. The letter I received from New Delhi says that I am not conducive to public interest. Since when did Ujjwala, my wife, become public interest?”

Sterry, who has in the past collaborated with Guy Ritchie on the 2001 film, The Bunker, and also worked as personal assistant to star restaurateur Mourad Mazous of Sketch, London, says he decided to go public with his story as a last resort. “I need to see my daughter again, it’s breaking my heart to be without her.”

When contacted for her response to Sterry’s charges, Ujjwala Raut said, “If Maxwell is alleging abuse and intimidation, why is he sending you letters? Why is he not resorting to court procedures, which is how things should be? This matter is sub-judice. I don’t wish to comment on it. When the time comes, I myself will make an announcement,” and left it at that.

Vickey Lalwani and Vishwas Kulkarni

Source: Times of India

from tfs

Nobody is perfect, says Ujjwala Raut

Vidya Prabhu / DNA

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 23:59 IST

Mumbai: Her personal life of late may have become popular fodder for speculation, but supermodel Ujjwala Raut seems undeterred by any of it. Ask her about filing for divorce from hubby Craig Maxwell, and she says she has 'no regrets'. "There are so many people out there who have had it rougher than I have," candidly states Ujjwala. "Also, I am a very positive person, so the way I see it -- it's best to live your life to the fullest, learn from your mistakes and move on. Nobody is perfect, right? I can only hope that my daughter Ksha is smart enough to not make the same mistakes though," she adds.

As far as all the media attention on her personal life is concerned, she has learnt to take it in her stride. "I think the bottomline is that one should be happy -- and that I am. I do my yoga and mediation regularly, and believe in living in the moment. Everything else is secondary," says Ujjwala, who's also been extremely busy with work.

"I just shot for Givenchy in New York and I am also walking for Manish Arora's show in Rome this July. This apart, I have had several ad and magazine shoots which have seen me travel all over the country and abroad," she enthuses.

So where does that leave her acting aspirations? "Well, I want to act and that's why I have completed not one but two acting courses -- one in NY and the other in Paris. I'm also in talks with several industry people -- both in Bollywood and Hollywood. So let's see what happens," she says.

What's her take on Diana Penty being the latest Indian model to cut it on New York fashion week's runway? "Diana shows a lot of promise; she's very talented and I'm glad for her. In fact, I did speak to her in NY. She just needs to be focused and she'll turn out just fine," says Ujjwala, who doesn't take the 'supermodel' tag too seriously. "I live, I work and I have a personal life too; so everything has its own place. But one thing's for sure -- I won't do any film for the heck of it nor will I walk for a show as a regular showstopper," she signs off.

source: dna india

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainmen...a-raut_1269858

from tfs

• 3 weeks later...

Stumbled across some gossip :p

Ugly break-up for India's first supermodel

Lawyer claims Ujjwala Raut used 'powerful connections' to get her Scottish film-producer husband kicked out of country

By Andrew Buncombe in Delhi

Sunday, 23 August 2009

They were the beautiful people. She was India’s first supermodel and he made movies and counted Guy Ritchie among his friends. When Craig Maxwell Sterry and Ujjwala Raut married five years ago, they did so at David Bowie’s Manhattan penthouse dressed in Yves Saint Laurent couture.

But things have turned decidedly ugly for the Scottish film producer and the woman who once sashayed alongside Naomi Campbell. A bitter break-up has been dragged into India’s courts and police in Goa say they are looking for Mr Sterry, who has gone into hiding after his residency permit was revoked and he was given 72 hours to leave the country.

Tomorrow Mr Sterry’s lawyer will argue his case before the country’s Supreme Court, claiming that Ms Raut has used her “powerful connections” to have his client’s visa quashed and separate him from their young daughter. “My wife being an extremely influential and powerful person has tried to create havoc in my life by initiating false complaints,” Mr Sterry, 47, was quoted as saying.

It had once been so very different. The pair met on a blind date in France. She later told an interviewer that after the couple’s first date, Mr Sterry confided to a close friend: “I’ve just met my wife.” They talked about eloping, but the pair eventually decided to get married in New York and Ms Raut became pregnant soon afterwards.

The couple moved to Goa and did up an old property in Alconda, and then Ms Raut decided to resume her work as a model. And so Mr Sterry – who, because he was married to an Indian was granted a Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card and permitted to live in India – stayed in Goa with their daughter Ksha while Ms Raut jetted back and forth.

Things took a turn for the worst last year when, after a series of incidents when Ms Raut brought home expensive gifts from men, the two fought. Both Mr Sterry and Ms Raut accuse the other of launching an unprovoked attack.

Earlier this year Ms Raut, 31, filed for divorce, claiming that both she and Ksha were frightened of Mr Sterry. He says he has not seen his daughter since March and has launched his own lawsuit, saying that because the couple were married in the US, Indian courts were not able to rule on their divorce.

Ms Raut, who won the Miss India title in 1996 and was the first Indian to appear as the face of Yves Saint Laurent, has declined to comment on the case, saying that the matter is now before the courts. However, earlier she told Indian journalists: “If Maxwell is alleging abuse and intimidation, why is he sending the media letters? Why is he not resorting to court procedures, which is how things should be?”

independent.co.uk

post-34370-1254786437_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
th_82805b65729227.gif/monthly_02_2010/post-19430-0-1445985641-61586_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2267845" alt="post-19430-0-1445985641-61586_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="162.54"> post-19430-0-1445985641-62698_thumb.jpg th_1c7dcf65729308.gif/monthly_02_2010/post-19430-0-1445985641-84289_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2267852" alt="post-19430-0-1445985641-84289_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="150"> post-19430-0-1445985642-40939_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...