Bellazon

Nastassia Lindes
Thumbnail

Nefertiti

A Night In MAC X Nasty Gal

In honor of receiving the lovechild of MAC and Nasty Gal (three matte lipsticks and a red red polish—available December 4th), ITG tasked friends Staz Lindes, Georgia Pratt, Naomi Shimada, and Teresa Oman with the celebration. Lipstick was applied, aliens met their maker, dim sum was consumed. Lipstick was reapplied. And thus, a very special edition of ITG After Dark: The Whole Crew. Isn’t getting ready to go out so much better with friends?

Georgia: We’ve only been in this apartment in Bushwick since July. This is our normal crew—Naomi’s been over here from Williamsburg every night, Staz and I live here, Teresa’s down the street. It’s good to be close because transit here is a bit iffy.

Staz: Sometimes we’ll force ourselves to go out, but usually we hang around our house.

Georgia: It’s really nice having the kitchen space because we like to have dinner parties. I’ll cook, or someone will cook. If we know someone who's playing a show we might go watch them play after we eat. Staz is a musician, so her brother and the rest of the band came and stayed with us recently. They’d go out and we’d all go with them and watch their show. But we usually make time to eat at the beginning of the night, or the end…or both. [Laughs]

Naomi: A typical night usually ends in food, that’s one thing for sure. I had a bagel last night at 2 in the morning. All my girls were like, 'Oh we’re going to have another drink,' and I could tell that was the tipping point in terms of our sobriety, and I thinking, 'I could do that…or I could go get a bagel and eat it in bed!' [Laughs] I was like 'Gotta go to the bathroom, be right back!' and I just left. That egg cheese was callin' my name. And I know all the dim sum.

Georgia: She’s an expert.

Naomi: I feel like New York is one of those cities where I don’t stick to one routine. Every night is something different and random. There’s a bar or a pub for every occasion, every mood.

Teresa: If we can get our hands on a car, we’ll drive somewhere like Eagle Rock, New Jersey. Done that a couple times now. It’s a really small town on the outside of the city and they’ve got unlimited bowling for four dollars and a really good pizza spot.

Staz: A lot of places here you have to drink to enjoy yourself, and it ends up being really expensive and not that much fun—and then you’re sick the next day. So we’ll dress up just to go bowling or do things like that. I love Chelsea Piers. You can golf and bring your own beer—and it’s open 'til midnight. I go to gigs and stuff when bands I like come to town, but besides that I’m not too into the club scene or getting wasted. I can’t stand the idea of getting somewhere to stand in a line, or having to deal with rude people and listen to music I don’t like and forcing small talk. I tried to do that for a while, but then realized it’s not for everyone.

Naomi: We’re all friends because we accept ourselves for how we know we are.

Georgia: I feel like when you’re made up all the time you become a bit detached from that.

Naomi: Yeah, for me at least, heels and makeup can easily be attached to work so I had to learn to re-own it for myself, because I genuinely enjoy dressing up. Especially for me and Georgia, our industry is super commercial and the style is so muted that dressing up to go out is the only way for us to express ourselves.

Teresa: Staz and I were just saying the other day that there aren’t that many shoots any more where we’re really wearing fun makeup and dressing up. It’s all very…

Staz: Bland. It’s so safe! It’s why I feel lucky to have real stylish roommates and friends around me. We all dress each other and do each other’s makeup and borrow each other’s clothes. I rotate my makeup around, but the one look I’ve always done is a simple red lip and a winged eye. Sometimes I’ll wear crazy colors on my lip or I’ll do a cool earring with super simple makeup. Divine is a huge inspiration to me.

Georgia: Staz will be asking me if she should buy something, and she’ll be like 'Would Divine wear this?' [Laughs]

Staz: Sometimes I plan my outfit based on who I think would approve of it, like, 'Would John Waters book me in this? Would Kurt Cobain wanna make out with me?'

Georgia: I hate being uncomfortable, so I always got to have comfy shoes for going out—you never know how long you’ll be gone for. For ages I thought every part of my look had to be just right, I was concerned that I had to do things so particularly and be such a perfectionist, and now that I’ve relaxed into myself and have a bit more fun, I realize my 'look' doesn’t have to be so serious. It’s much more awesome, cooler even, to wear wild makeup. Anyway, I’m a big fan of the sneaker.

Teresa: I plan my going out look depending on how many wines I’ve had at that point. So, for instance, my Vegas looks were really crazy. A onesie is always good. I like to keep my makeup sort of on the lighter side; I’ll just wear concealer and mascara with some glitter. I’ll put Lucas Papaw on my cheek and put glitter over it so it acts like glue.

Naomi: My one thing is to always wear something danceable. A dancing uniform—nothing too short, something you can squat down in without everyone looking at your butt. 'Dropping' clothes—clothes you can do drops in.

—as told to ITG

Staz Lindes in MAC X Nasty Gal Lipstick in Stunner, Georgia Pratt in Gunner, Naomi Shimada in Runner, and Teresa Oman in Studio Nail Lacquer in Flaming Rose, all available December 4th, 2014 at MAC stores and online. Photographed by Tom Newton and each other.

post-52584-0-1446025952-5985_thumb.jpg post-52584-0-1446025952-64686_thumb.jpg post-52584-0-1446025952-76615_thumb.jpg post-52584-0-1446025952-79207_thumb.jpg post-52584-0-1446025952-81392_thumb.jpg post-52584-0-1446025952-84026_thumb.jpg  post-52584-0-1446025952-88429_thumb.jpg

Casting Call: Staz Lindes by Danny Lane
December 11, 2014 / Nicole Frankiewicz

London born, California raised, Staz Lindes has an unforgettable face. Not only is she a total natural in front of the camera - with her heart shaped face and that pout — but she’s also a badass rock n’ roller. Of course, we love a model with off-camera talent, so we jumped at the chance to chat with the stunner about John Waters, walking for Moschino and writing her own songs.

Where did you grow up?

My first few years were in London, the rest in Santa Monica and Venice, California.

How did your modelling career take off?

One of my first accomplishments was shooting Purple Mag with Terry Richardson when I was 19. The editorial and jobs and adventures just kept getting better after that!

Favorite shoot/project you’ve done?

I have fun on every project! I really love the pictures skate legend and artist Ed Templeton took of me for Junk Magazine. Whenever I get to travel for work it’s so much fun.

What was it like walking for Jeremy Scott in the last Moschino show?

It was a really big adventure for me! I’m not really a walker and I was with some pretty professional girls so I felt pretty nervous, but I’m so happy I did it!

Who is your biggest style influence?

Right now I’ve really been looking for stuff Debbie Harry would have worn with Blondie or anything John Waters or Bowie would approve of.

What does your typical Friday night look like?

If I’m in LA I’d probably be at a show and if I’m in New York I’m probably just having a bottle of wine at home with my homies.

How long have you been playing guitar and are you interested in making your own music?

I’ve been playing for 10 years and have been writing songs since I was 8. My band’s in LA and we play when I’m out there—it’s all originals.

What’s your biggest accomplishment thus far and what do you still want to do?

Walking for Moschino was probably my biggest accomplishment. I would love to keep traveling to crazy places for work and to work with really nice photographers and creative teams
Staz photographed exclusively for Milk Made by Danny Lane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

963646387374190.jpg d25462387374249.jpg

db4508387374267.jpg 38a17f387374276.jpg 05e99c387374284.jpg

source: cataloguemagazine
Photographer: Lily Cummings
Stylist: Paris Mitchell
Hair and makeup: Fatima Thomas using MAC cosmetics
Model: Staz Lindes at One Management

Internet royalty is the new fashion royalty. The stars of Tumblr and Instagram have become our new idols, which is awesome considering their success has as much to do with what they look like as who they are, what they're into and what they do. In the age of globalization – where location and location-based cultural, political and social movements have become meaningless – these online rabbit warrens are our new cultural world, and the little groups that exist within them, our new subcultures. Artists like Grimes are using them to open our eyes to new ideas, while visionary creative directors, like Nicola Formichetti and Marc Jacobs, are recruiting these kids for their campaigns and taking their movements – and hopefully the ideas behind them – mainstream.

Staz Lindes was discovered at 14 while trawling through LA malls with her Venice Beach mates. Her dad was in Dire Straits (amazing), her mum was a model and, via wild dinner parties and Led Zep, they gave Staz the creative kick-start (as well as some excellent genes) that got her fully into music, fully into vintage and then, via her authentic perspective on all of this, fully into the hearts of at least 50, 000 – but we suspect many more – millennials who follow her every move via her Tumblr – stazia.tumblr.com – and her Instagram – @yostazyo.

Hey Staz! You grew up in LA, and your dad [Hal Lindes] was in Dire Straits (who I am obsessed with), and your mum [Mary Lindes] was a model and muse. What was it like growing up in this environment?

Haha I'm always so happy when I find out people know about Dire Straits, let alone love them–it's actually not too common here in the States, and definitely not too common among kids my age!

My mum was always having dinner parties, and a lot of the guests were pretty amazing people from the music and acting scenes in London. She'd also always take my brother and I to funny concerts like Peter Frampton and Bad Company.

Was it your dad who initially got you into music? What did you grow up listening to?

My mum and dad are super musical and have always pushed it onto my brother and I, so I grew up with the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Cure, Jimi Hendrix and the Crystals. Later on my mum would introduce me to Elliott Smith and my dad would introduce me to No Doubt.

You've got your own band too, yeah?

Yeah, I play music with my best friends from high school. Unfortunately they're in LA and it's been pretty hard to find people in New York so far–there isn't the same passion here because people need to make money. I guess I've got that relaxed LA thing going on so it's hard to vibe with musicians here because I'm not seeking fame with my music­–it's a spiritual thing for me. Anyway, we played our first few shows this year and they were so much fun! We're torn between calling ourselves The Paranoyds or Drunk Baby Sitters Club. Hopefully we'll have a shitty EP out by next year.

What was awesome, and what was less than awesome, about growing up in LA?

The weather in LA is the best, and growing up in house with a pool 20 blocks from the beach was incredible. It was really nice to grow up Westside but once you hit 15 it's boring! You had to get your license or make friends with someone who had theirs or you'd be totally landlocked. Also the Venice kids I grew up with were wild as hell; loads of drugs were around from a really young age, and the graffiti gang stuff is pretty huge, so there was always drama.

Now you've moved to new York, yeah? Why did you make the move and what are the main differences you've noticed between the two coasts? Are the cliches about serious intellectuals on the east, versus chillers on the west, true?

I moved to New York this January because I'd achieved all my modelling goals in LA, and I wanted to really get my career going. The work is way better in New York. For the first time ever I'm living with roommates and I'm absolutely in love with them. People are more straight forward here: there are way less liars, name droppers, and social climbers – or I've gotten way better at avoiding them!

When and how were you discovered?

I was about 14 when I first started getting scouted, but I didn't start taking it seriously until I was about 19. I was a mall rat so a lot of it happened there and I was scouted by Vision at the Santa Monica bowling alley.

Did you ever think of modelling before you were discovered?

When I was a little girl I loved glamour, dressing up, the idea of being an actress­–all of that. As I got older I became more stubborn, but I've always loved taking pictures, being in pictures, taking pictures of my friends–whatever!

What did you think of the fashion industry before you started modeling, and now that you're in it has your perception changed?

I really thought it was more creative and open-minded than it is haha! When you're on shoots you see mood boards and how much everyone rips everyone else off, and also how closed-minded and strict some clients are.

What are the best things about modelling?

When you're with a creative team that are all happy and excited to be there. Creating something amazing together is the best feeling there is!

And the worst?

I hate the way the industry is still trying to sell unhealthy girls to people. A lot of agents and clients are stuck in the '80s; in this terrible bullying mentality that is so unfair. With social media and the Internet people–especially young girls I think–crave authenticity.

If you weren't a model, what would you be doing?

I'd probably live in a smaller city like Baltimore or Oakland–anywhere where music is still important. I've always had a crazy love for vintage, so I'd probably be selling vintage clothes or records somewhere and playing gigs to make extra money.

• 2 weeks later...