Bellazon

US Vogue May (or maybe June) 2007

ninanina19

I'm kind of disappointed, I mean I'm glad they had Caroline on there and Doutzen because they are really top models. But where are Eugenia, Natasha, and Lily C? They're def. top models. I cannot believe they have Chanel Iman, she's hideous, not a top model, and a horrible model at that. It just blows my mind. Maybe they were looking for racial diversity, if so why not pick like Pei Bei? I thought the cover was very unoriginal too. It should've been made more interesting. It's so boring, like a billion other covers I've seen. I don't get why US Vogue doesn't put more models on its covers. I mean the people that buy it are probably buying it for the fashion and not the celeb interviews. If they wanted celeb interviews they could just read like Cosmo. I mean Caroline Trentini is in like a ton of their editorials, why not just give her the cover? P.s. if they let Chanel in and she's a lesser known model, why not let other models like let's say Jeisa in :whistle: ? Also Sasha and Stam and the others are look alike. Caroline and Doutzen look great as always especially Caroline but the others are so BLAH.

You should probably post a picture so people know what you're talking about ;)

Secondly, you have the year wrong, but I'll fix that :p

As for the cover itself, all the choices make sense except Chanel. Freja is missing - it's so glaringly obvious it's painful. I can't stand the girl but she deserves to be on the cover. If you look at it from the perspective of those who have had the most editorials, covers, ad campaigns, runway shows in recent seasons and look at the caliber of those edits, ads, shows, etc. all those girls deserve to be there except Chanel.

Eugenia had her shot in 2004. She should've been there but was pulled for whatever reason. I don't think she deserves to be there now though it would've been nice I suppose.

Oh and if they were going for racial diversity, but someone who actually deserves it as well, I don't think Pei Bei would have been a good choice...at all, definitely not any better than Chanel Iman :|

I think Sasha shouldn't be there :/ I would never think she wll be a next supermodel :no: Gemma has a beautiful alien look to replace her, and I think they only put Chanel for racial diversity and I think they are right because I can't think of any other black model doing so many shows lately :whistle:

But I loved to see Raquel, Trentini, Doutzen, Lily and Stammy there :ddr: I don't like Coco but I think she deserves to be in there

^ Sasha is one of the girls that deserves her place the most :trout:

It's confusing because the name of that issue is "the next top models" so Chanel would make sense since she'll definitely make it big in the future but at the same time they choose to put her alongside girls that are already huge in the business (raquel, sasha, lily, carol, doutzen, stam) or the ultimate hit girls (hilary, coco, agyness) and it makes Chanel looks soooo out of place !

Chanel bugs me because her name is so pretentious and she's stick-thin but i guess she's cute... if the issue was called "the stars and hopes of fashion" or something along these lines i guess i could tolerate chanel's presence but that is not the case :ninja:

I think Sasha shouldn't be there :/ I would never think she wll be a next supermodel :no: Gemma has a beautiful alien look to replace her, and I think they only put Chanel for racial diversity and I think they are right because I can't think of any other black model doing so many shows lately :whistle:

But I loved to see Raquel, Trentini, Doutzen, Lily and Stammy there :ddr: I don't like Coco but I think she deserves to be in there

Sort of a minor point, but the cover doesn't say next SUPERmodels. It says next top models, a category Sasha definitely fits into. She may look like a scary version of Gemma Ward but she's actually a GOOD model in terms of posing and expression, she's Prada exclusive and has been for a while, she's been on 2 Vogue Italia covers in just the last four months (not to mention any of her other covers in the past few seasons), she's been in plenty of editorials, she's got a cosmetics contract with Giorgio Armani, she did 60 shows in the FW07 season, and plenty of shows in previous seasons. There's absolutely no question that she deserves that cover. In the fashion industry, she is definitely one of the tops. Whether or not she has commercial appeal is a different story, but I'm fairly certain that's not what determined most of these girls making the cover.

I'm really disappointed in their choices. With the exception of Doutzen, I don't really care for any of these models. The inclusion of Lily Donaldson and Coco Rocha is especially outrageous and disgusting, regardless of their popularity. Doutzen is the only girl on the cover with real supermodel appeal. I sort of like Raquel and Caroline, but even they lack that IT factor.

Chanel and Agyness don't belong, period. Me thinks the former was added for political purposes (to add "racial diversity", which is absurd because if you're going to take that route, why not include someone much more worthy like Du Juan?) And I don't see Agyness lasting very long. She has a "flash-in-the-pan" quality to her look.

They should've included Snejana Onopka, Irina Lazareanu, Freja Beha (who I don't care for, but she IS big) and Anja Rubik.

edit:This to me is a disappointment, they completely shun the top models out I could of liked to seen included Freja, Natasha, Du Juan, and Snejana. Love that they did include Lily D, Hilary, Raquel & Doutzen. But looking at the title "next top models" the list kind of does make sense. Whatev, I'm just happy to see models on the cover rather than another actress, thank god.

I'm really disappointed in their choices. With the exception of Doutzen, I don't really care for any of these models. The inclusion of Lily Donaldson and Coco Rocha is especially outrageous and disgusting, regardless of their popularity. Doutzen is the only girl on the cover with real supermodel appeal.I sort of like Raquel and Caroline, but even they lack that IT factor.

Chanel and Agyness don't belong, period. Me thinks the former was added for political purposes (to add "racial diversity", which is absurd because if you're going to take that route, why not include someone much more worthy like Du Juan?) And I don't see Agyness lasting very long. She has a "flash-in-the-pan" quality to her look.

They should've included Snejana Onopka, Irina Lazareanu, Freja Beha (who I don't care for, but she IS big) and Anja Rubik.

err, well while I do agree that Doutzen has the most supermodel appeal, I feel that I should point out, again, that the cover says absolutely nothing about any of these girls being supermodels, so they don't have to feature models who have any supermodel appeal if they don't want to. As such, the inclusion of people like Coco and Lily is not outrageous at all, even if they're unappealing commercially, because they are in fact doing extremely well in the fashion industry, and that is what a "Top Model" does. The only one who stands out as not being successful (yet) is Chanel. Even Agyness, though perhaps a flash in the pan as you suggest, is doing much better than Chanel (she's been in three of the major Vogues, landed a Vogue Italia cover last year, has 6 campaigns this season, did 30+ shows FW07, etc), and therefore has potential to continue being successful. Freja is [most likely] not on the cover b/c there are rumors that photographer Steven Meisel and she do not get along.

I'd just like to add that Doutzen is the only girl on this cover who's on my top 10, and even she irks me at times. I don't like Coco. Agyness is meh to me. I'm on the fence with Sasha. I don't really notice Lily or Raquel. Stam is hit or miss for me. Hilary is growing on me but she's definitely not a fave. Caroline is overused in US Vogue and so whatever appeal she used to have to me has died. And I didn't even know of Chanel's existence until recently. So basically what I'm saying is that none of what I've said here has anything to do with my own personal preferences.

ETA: I do agree that if they included Chanel for racial diversity, Du Juan should've been chosen instead. Despite the fact that Du Juan has slowed down considerably since last season, she is still a better and more deserving choice than Chanel.

I'm really disappointed in their choices. With the exception of Doutzen, I don't really care for any of these models. The inclusion of Lily Donaldson and Coco Rocha is especially outrageous and disgusting, regardless of their popularity. Doutzen is the only girl on the cover with real supermodel appeal.I sort of like Raquel and Caroline, but even they lack that IT factor.

err, well while I do agree that Doutzen has the most supermodel appeal, I feel that I should point out, again, that the cover says absolutely nothing about any of these girls being supermodels, so they don't have to feature models who have any supermodel appeal if they don't want to. As such, the inclusion of people like Coco and Lily is not outrageous at all, even if they're unappealing commercially, because they are in fact doing extremely well in the fashion industry, and that is what a "Top Model" does. The only one who stands out as not being successful (yet) is Chanel. Even Agyness, though perhaps a flash in the pan as you suggest, is doing much better than Chanel (she's been in three of the major Vogues, landed a Vogue Italia cover last year, has 6 campaigns this season, did 30+ shows FW07, etc), and therefore has potential to continue being successful. Freja is [most likely] not on the cover b/c there are rumors that photographer Steven Meisel and she do not get along.

I'd just like to add that Doutzen is the only girl on this cover who's on my top 10, and even she irks me at times. I don't like Coco. Agyness is meh to me. I'm on the fence with Sasha. I don't really notice Lily or Raquel. Stam is hit or miss for me. Hilary is growing on me but she's definitely not a fave. Caroline is overused in US Vogue and so whatever appeal she used to have to me has died. And I didn't even know of Chanel's existence until recently. So basically what I'm saying is that none of what I've said here has anything to do with my own personal preferences.

ETA: I do agree that if they included Chanel for racial diversity, Du Juan should've been chosen instead. Despite the fact that Du Juan has slowed down considerably since last season, she is still a better and more deserving choice than Chanel.

Nicely put OriginalSin, and I completely agree with you regarding Chanel and Trentini's constant appearances in this mag. Oh I forgot to mention, to bad they did not include Georgia Frost, that would be a great addition, but you can never win.

I'd just like to add that Doutzen is the only girl on this cover who's on my top 10, and even she irks me at times. I don't like Coco. Agyness is meh to me. I'm on the fence with Sasha. I don't really notice Lily or Raquel. Stam is hit or miss for me. Hilary is growing on me but she's definitely not a fave. Caroline is overused in US Vogue and so whatever appeal she used to have to me has died. And I didn't even know of Chanel's existence until recently. So basically what I'm saying is that none of what I've said before has anything to do with my own personal preferences.

Amen. Your my master, you know that ? :|

I just hate how safe US vogue has become. Before it used to be about the fashion and now it's just about celebrities and their lives like most people even care what so and so has to say when Star Magazine and People are saying a different thing. This cover is so boring and safe. I mean it's supposed to be like a big issue but it's just really boring. They made way better covers for their so-called celebrities.

"Top model" and "supermodel" are practically interchangeable terms, imo. The purpose of the cover was to reveal which girls were going to dominate the fashion world, and to that end there really is no distinction between the two. Bona fide "supermodels" are long gone, so whichever girls nab the top runway shows, ad campaigns and editorials are really the next best thing.

The inclusion of Coco and Lily is ridiculous no matter how you slice it, because they are both exceedingly unattractive and bad models to boot. I also don't get the appeal of Hilary Rhoda; to me she's just another run-of-the-mill Ralph Lauren model who just happened to make nice with the right photographers.

I don't care for Freja at all, so it doesn't really matter to me that she didn't make the cover; I'm just surprised that she didn't.

I just hate how safe US vogue has become. Before it used to be about the fashion and now it's just about celebrities and their lives like most people even care what so and so has to say when Star Magazine and People are saying a different thing. This cover is so boring and safe. I mean it's supposed to be like a big issue but it's just really boring. They made way better covers for their so-called celebrities.

I completely agree with this. US Vogue is boring. Really boring. :| This cover isn't great in terms of artistry or creativity. So far I only like it marginally better than the 2004 cover and that's mostly because all the girls aren't standing in a straight line :|

Unfortunately, and I reluctantly say this in US Vogue's defense, it is catering to a certain market and everything the magazine seems to stand for reflects that. If America were less celeb-obsessed they would probably feature more models cause those mags would sell better than they do now. Also if America were less conservative (compared with the rest of the West I mean), there would probably be edgier editorials, covers, articles, etc.

*sigh*

"Top model" and "supermodel" are practically interchangeable terms, imo. The purpose of the cover was to reveal which girls were going to dominate the fashion world, and to that end there really is no distinction between the two. Bona fide "supermodels" are long gone, so whichever girls nab the top runway shows, ad campaigns and editorials are really the next best thing.

The inclusion of Coco and Lily is ridiculous no matter how you slice it, because they are both exceedingly unattractive and bad models to boot. I also don't get the appeal of Hilary Rhoda; to me she's just another run-of-the-mill Ralph Lauren model who just happened to make nice with the right photographers.

I don't care for Freja at all, so it doesn't really matter to me that she didn't make the cover; I'm just surprised that she didn't.

I respectfully disagree about the terms being interchangeable, but I do agree that bona fide supermodels are long gone. I just feel that the term barely has a place in today's modeling world, which is why I wouldn't use them interchangeably. To me a supermodel has to gain appeal and exposure outside of the industry whereas a top model only has to be successful within the industry. But that is me, and I understand that you have a different opinion on that. :flower:

But actually, no it's not ridiculous "no matter how I slice it." In fact, if I use what you said: "whichever girls nab the top runway shows, ad campaigns, and editorials are really the next best thing" then people like Coco Rocha HAVE to be on the cover.

First Coco: for FW07 she did almost 70 shows, she's been in so many editorials lately I've actually lost count, she was on Feb's cover of Vogue Italia with Hilary. She was on another Vogue Italia cover in 2006. She's recenly been on the covers of other magazines such as Vogue Nippon, Numero, i-D, and Time Style & Design (which admittedly isn't an important fashion mag BUT the types of girls who usually get their covers are the popular/top ones - Daria, Gemma, Liya, Isabeli, Doutzen, Du Juan) She's doing Balenciaga, Lanvin, and Christian Lacroix for Spring 2007. She's already got the Dolce & Gabbana campaign lined up for Fall 2007. Her level of attractiveness is a matter of opinion. So is whether or not she's a good model, but obviously the people casting her think has something to offer because she wouldn't be getting so much work otherwise. I don't think there's any question that given all this she currently doing very well and would be considered a top model.

Now Lily: for FW07 she did about 50 shows (incl all the major ones), she was recently on the cover of i-D mag and was featured in three editorials in that one magazine, Miss Dior Cherie (this is a fragrance campaign which is huge), Dior Cruise, Burberry SS07, recent editorials in Harper's Bazaar, Vogue, Numero, etc.

And since you mention Hilary, here's what her recent work has looked like: recent Vogue Italia cover, 3 recent US Vogue editorials, editorials in other major mags, Donna Karan SS07, Dolce & Gabbana Cruise, Givenchy SS07, Gucci Cruise, and recently landed an Estee Lauder contract. She was lacking in FW07 shows this season (less than 20) but then again so was Doutzen (not saying Doutzen doesn't deserve to be on this cover, just pointing out that other things, such as long-term cosmetics contracts can balance things out)

I am not here to debate WHY any of the 10 (or imo 9) girls are successful (because that varies - from actual ability to a photographer's fascination with her to a certain editor-in-chief loving her to a wonderful personality to a designer considering her his muse). I have no desire to change your personal opinions on the any of girls, but given the point that you made, these girls should be on the cover because they have been successful in terms of editorials, campaigns, covers, and runway shows.

Yeah I completely agree with you^^^. Oh and sorry for getting the year wrong, I keep on forgetting we're in 2007. I just think the cover is so bland and so are most of the girls. The reason the supermodel era is dead is because all the girls that are top models are boring. I mean if half or more of these girls passed me in the street not only would I not be impressed, I would probably not even notice them.

I just wish U.S. Vogue would be less conservative. I mean yes I agree with what you said about it having to conform to American tastes but still most Americans have so many choices when it comes to picking magazines with celebrity interviews, why would they pick Vogue? The ones that do mainly read it for the fashion and they should recognize some top model faces. So why not just put a model on the cover every 3rd or 4th issue?