Bellazon

Bandwidth theft.

Guest Lullaby

Guest Lullaby

For those of you who are unfamiliar with hotlinking and bandwidth theft you may want to read the following site for information.

http://www.phenomenalwomen.com/donteventhinkaboutit/

This is why imageshack and photobucket are around, plus the tons of other places out there. Please be sure to not hotlink from anyone, especially on the boards, or they can and most likely will shut it down.

Guest Lullaby

It wasn't directed at just you, it's at everyone.

All you need to do is save the images you have showing and then go back in and edit the post with new links.

Sounds like that woman's panties are a little too tight

Its not a crime, its just you're being a cheap bastard

Actually, it is a crime because they can cry theft and have a server shut down. I've seen it done before <_<

its not a crime, and the pictures they talk about being OURS, isnt really theres, if anything by scanning it and posting it without authorization from the magazine you got it from you are liable for missusing there trademark/content. So the only ones that could get sued in all this would be the boards by the owners of the companys, not by people hotlinking, and if it was such a big deal learn how to program and just write a little scirpt, 10 lines and done if the referer is not your own website dont show image, redirect to somewhere else or just do 404 error and problem solved. (probabaly freely available, already written for you somewhere on the net for the computer illiterate)

I hate how people bitch n whine when its a simple problem to solve if they feel its so important that they gotta go write a whole essay on it. <_<

On this server, we have the upload script for people to upload images for their posts right? Inside that folder I put an .htaccess file (maddog asked me to;)) which stops other sites using the images. Took like 20 seconds, and now no one can "steal bandwidth" from that folder. (I could do it for the whole site in no more time.) Why doesn't Victoria's Secret do the same?

Guest quasicartes

Really, what would happen if you steal VS' bandwidth? At most, they will just get so angry that they will write you a letter saying that they are so angry.

They've contacted a guy's server, and shut him down. They're alright with you saving and posting the pictures, but that bandwith their paying for. And it's a lot of money when you're getting thousands of hits a day.

As for the .htaccess file, I couldn't even tell you. On my domain I have it shut down the same way since all of my artwork and things are on there. You can't really keep people from saving your images to their computer and using them elsewhere ( This is the internet. Once a picture is posted, it never disappears ) but you can protect your own servers.

Ditto, I remember I had 30 gigs of my bandwidth stolen in one day once (forgot to htaaccess that folder :whistle: )

But the thing that pissed me off was the "legit" site that took the hotlinks was a real prick when I contacted him

If you get hotlinked, its your own damn fault

• 1 month later...