Bellazon

Guti
Thumbnail

Nicole

We must respect Barcelona, but we shouldn't feel inferior to them because we are not"

Guti addressed the media at Valdebebas. The midfielder said this is probably the tightest Clasico he has ever experienced, but that Real Madrid have sufficient weapons to defeat Barcelona.

"Real Madrid and Barcelona are the two best teams in Spain. We both play at a high level and we have great players capable of deciding the outcome of a match at any given time. We know each other well and we know which weapons we must use to win. I hope we make good use of ours."

"The winner's morale will be boosted. For us it would be very special because scoring one strike would draw the goalaverage. I'd rather not play if I wasn't able to disregard what happened against them last year. It will be difficult to win, but we'll get our chances. We know how to face them. I'm sure we will get something positive out of the game thanks to the support of our fans."

"We must respect Barcelona because they are the defending league and Champions League champs and they have the same points we do. We must do our best to win with the support of our fans. We shouldn't feel inferior to them because we are not. Real Madrid are always favourites against any team, especially at home."

"Barcelona play very well. They keep possession for a long time and they know how to bring the game to a stop if they needed it. We will have to be very focused on Saturday and try to score an early goal. They may be better than us in midfield, but we have other weapons we can use to stop them."

"It's ridiculous to concentrate on just one of their players. We'll have to concentrate on all of them. It's as if they just concentrated on Ronaldo and then concede a goal by Raul. I don't need Messi to score four goals in order to realise how good he is. He is one of the two or three best players in the world right now and he is Barcelona's most dangerous man. I think Guardiola would say the same of Ronaldo if you asked him."

"Regarding the quality of both squads, this may be the tightest Clasico I've experienced. I don't remember another in which we both had the same number of points and a difference of only one goal. It will be a difficult Clasico because there is much at stake for both teams. Winning will boost our morale for the rest of our games."

Guti: This is my final Clasico

Real Madrid midfielder Guti has declared that the upcoming El Clasico will be the last one he takes part in.

Guti was taking part in an interview on a radio program, Onda Madrid, when he made the announcement, saying that he will not be a Los Blancos player beyond this season.

"My future is not clear. This will definitely be my final Clasico," Guti said in the interview. "As of today there are no possiblities for me to continue at Madrid.

"I have one more year on my contract, but I hope we can arrive at an understanding. I am sure they [Madrid] will understand that my best chance is to leave from here.

"One doesn't need to make drama about all this, the time to begin playing less arrives for everyone and one needs to understand it. The most important thing is to leave with as much dignity possible, especially from a club like Real Madrid."

With the announcement, Guti will be expected to don another jersey from the start of next season.

The midfield maestro is a rare Madrid youth product, promoted to the first team in the 1995-96 season, where he's played in the past 15 seasons.

Guti has stated that there is still football after Los Meregues, saying: "I think I have two more years of playing football. The idea is to go to England, Italy, or one of the Arab countries. It will depend upon offers."

Finally, the former Spain international mused about the successor to his number 14 shirt, saying: "I will leave it to Xabi Alonso because I'm sure he wants it. I will continue to have my heart at Real Madrid."

Real Madrid's latest signing, Sergio Canales, has drawn comparisons to Guti in his playing style, and the youngster is considered to be the long-term replacement for the departing attacking midfielder.