Bellazon

2022 SI Swimsuit

So MJ wants to be more body positive but they are still airbrushed and edited to a ridiculous degree. And I get that the cover models sell the magazine but to just put celebrities or relatives of celebrities is overdoing it. Oh well, they will get their ad revenue and some sales from bored people at the airport, but meh. 

My 2 cents:

Worst issue I can remember.

Four different covers that all suck (but to MJ's credit they all suck in their very own way :rofl: )

Happy to see Christen in the issue. At the same time, it kind of feels like seeing a band you like at a festival, only they were booked two or three years after their peak. :hmm:

Likewise, nice to see Hailey again but I think even Hailey fans will not claim this is a particularly memorable shoot for her.

And yeah, Jo has one of the better shoots, but that is just due to the fact that the issue as a whole is a steaming pile of manure (to borrow Stromboli's analogy). So even a shoot that would be instantly forgettable in any good SISE year would still stand out positively this year.

I don't much like Lorena Duran as an SI Model, but if I was scraping the bottom of the barrel to be able to list one other thing I liked, I think the art direction in her shoot is at least somewhat reminiscent of the staging and location work of classic/good SISE shoots.

This is why Kim got a cover:

Yumi's cover: 5,119 likes and 143 comments

Grandma: 2,822 likes and 96 comments 

Ciara: 5,492 likes and 142 comments

Kim: 36,7k likes and 1,165 comments

Sure, some people are giving them backlash but numbers don't lie, the woman has hundreds of millions of fans. I predict her cover to be sold out insanely fast and to be a best-selling cover, she is a money making machine wether we like it or not. This issue is a shitshow and other than Lorena Duran who is by far the MVP, there's a couple other girls that did okay, but overall it's just bad. 

But there were always super-duper stars that would have moved a lot of magazines.

Like they could have given the cover to Madonna in say 1985 and also moved a lot of units. But they didn't, because it's supposed to be a Swimsuit issue with models. :idk:

I think one of the worst things MJ did was open the issue up to the extent that she did to run of the mill celebrities.

I don't know why are you guys complaining, they've always been a glorified masturbation magazine. They've just expanded their offer.

You have a fetish for fat girls? We got you.

You have a fetish for grandmas? We got you.

3 minutes ago, hillstreet said:

I wonder if they approached Kendall Jenner? She would have brought considerable attention to the issue while also fitting the classic Sports Illustrated aesthetic. 

I don't think Kendall is in the same category of the classic SI models but she would be better than what was largely on offer in this latest issue.

4 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

But there were always super-duper stars that would have moved a lot of magazines.

Like they could have given the cover to Madonna in say 1985 and also moved a lot of units. But they didn't, because it's supposed to be a Swimsuit issue with models. :idk:

I think one of the worst things MJ did was open the issue up to the extent that she did to run of the mill celebrities.

Yeah but the magazine industry wasn't as nearly dead in 1985 as it is now though. This to me feels like one last cry to try to move units in a dying industry; I personally cannot remember the last time I bought a magazine before recently purchasing the latest Vogue Scandinavia issue, which I bought exclusively because Elsa Hosk is on the cover with an editorial I adore, other than that I think the last time I bought a magazine must have been at least a solid five years ago, and I don't know anyone who still buys magazines other than my husband who is subscribed to medical journals because he has to.

I also don't think SI would approach Kendall, she's too boring to be in SI these days, if not Kim the other from the clan I can see them going for is Kylie who also rides on the whole "inspiring business woman and billionaire" bullshit. Right now to be in SI you need to have something extra like being fat, or old, or transgender, or to have some disability or you need to have gay parents, or have to be a nurse during the pandemic, to be pregnant or having given birth during your fitting, etc. If anything I am shocked Lorena Duran still made the cut, there isn't a single other woman on the magazine this year besides Lorena without a "story" as far as I can tell.

I just have so little to say on this year's issue.  It's that uninteresting (outside of the mockery of some of MJ's agenda which has already been addressed)

Jo & Cindy had the best model shoots IMO.

Kim actually looks good, and so does Ciara.

Lorena's shoot is OK but not as good as hoped.

That's it.  That's all I got.  See ya in May 2023 (maybe) 

17 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I think Lorena's story or angle is meant to be her being a "plus-size" model? :idk:

Could be, but that angle is defeated when you look at the girls who look like they ate Lorena :ninja: