Bellazon

Dune (2020)

Michael*

MV5BZTBmMmVhYmMtNmI4MC00MGIzLWJhNmEtZDAyZjFiNjU5NzYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTQ5OTI3MzM@._V1_UY268_CR9,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Dune

Release date: 18 December 2020 (UK)

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Synopsis

Paul Atreides leads nomadic tribes in a battle to control the desert planet Arrakis.

Cast

Rebecca Ferguson - Lady Jessica

Timothee Chalamet - Paul Atreides

Jason Momoa - Duncan Idaho

Zendaya - Chani

Dave Batista - Glossu 'Beast' Rabban

Josh Brolin - Gurney Halleck

Oscar Isaac - Duke Leto Atreides

Stellan Skarsgaard - Baron Harkonnen

Javier Bardem - Stilgar

Charlotte Rampling - Reverend Mother Mohiam

David Dastmalchian - Piter De Vries

1 minute ago, jkjk said:

Villeneuve's involvement means I'm in, I'm not sure how interested I would be without him.

I'm cautiously optimistic. As much as Dune is seemingly a cursed idol at this point, Villeneuve is a master of that kind of slow revelation, and in Blade Runner 2049, of world building without blatantly explaining everything in it. And of course, it doesn't hurt that it's an absolutely stellar cast.

5 minutes ago, Michael* said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. As much as Dune is seemingly a cursed idol at this point, Villeneuve is a master of that kind of slow revelation, and in Blade Runner 2049, of world building without blatantly explaining everything in it. And of course, it doesn't hurt that it's an absolutely stellar cast.

I think 2049 is part of the reason for my optimism, and I completely agree about the cast.

• 5 months later...

iV2XdjFk_t.jpg

Dune is an upcoming 2020 epic science fiction film directed by Denis Villeneuve with a screenplay by Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts and Villeneuve. It is an international co-production of the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Hungary, and it is the first of a planned two-part adaptation of the 1965 novel of the same name by Frank Herbert, and will cover roughly the first half of the book.

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista,
Zendaya, David Dastmalchian, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa and Javier Bardem

lXW6jsA3_t.jpg odDTyDse_t.jpg WQRpfYIa_t.jpg ZbZ7NmCg_t.jpg LGVxfY6O_t.jpg V6nbFrFS_t.jpg WgcN0BJK_t.jpg finMqSFe_t.jpg gcN8otNG_t.jpg bVM3q3y1_t.jpg

22 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

Another one... :banghead: Hollywood is dumb. After Terminator Woke Fate, Woke-busters, Woke's Angels and many others, this movie will flop (and rightly so).

13 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Another one... :banghead: Hollywood is dumb. After Terminator Woke Fate, Woke-busters, Woke's Angels and many others, this movie will flop (and rightly so).

I don't think the Dune movies will flop, but they won't make as much as they should have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Villeneuve's work doesn't really sell to the masses so if they turn any kind of profit, they'll have had a result. I would anticipate the reception being very similar to that of Blade Runner 2049, people who are interested in it agree that it's brilliant, there's at least one breakout performance and the box office takings barely cover the production and marketing.

I should probably add that I'm still fairly iffy on whether it's possible to adapt the property into an engaging film. It would need either stark changes to be made to the source material or have to rely on some handholding, perhaps quite a lot of handholding if "one gender swapped character = bad because woke" is the most sophisticated take some journalists can manage on the subject.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...