Bellazon

Vendela Kirsebom
Thumbnail

DeeJ

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just received a 1988 Neiman Marcus catalog and... nothing. No Vendela. I'm so disappointed!

(Does have some exquisite pics of Gail Elliott, though, and the stunning Louise Vyent. I also recognize Rachel Hunter and Steevie Van Der Veen.)

On 5/19/2016 at 7:52 PM, vendelafan said:

A gorgeous calendar produced by Vendela's then-agency, Ford, and photographed by Barry McKinley.

What do you think of her calendar compared to her Sports Illustrated appearances?

Her calendar reminds me, in a way, of the Ford's Super Models of the World Calendar.  It feels like a more fashion-oriented thing.  When the models do their own calendar, and also Sports Illustrated, it's so interesting to compare.  Vendela (of course) was the cover of the 1993 SI swimsuit magazine, and she has an impressive run in the magazine from '92-'97 ('96 only in an ad). I think I just prefer her SI stuff as swimsuit calendar/pinup work.  She's so great in SI (especially with Robert Huntzinger).  It's the same with Carol Alt.  I think Carol is a fabulous model, but her own calendars were just a bit, I don't know, uninspired maybe.  It's not like they're bad, or something.  But I just liked her stuff in SI much more, more successful as swimsuit/pinup work. 

In response to FAMAMOCA:

What do you think of her calendar compared to her Sports Illustrated appearances?

I'm a Vendela die-hard so I love both the calendar and her SI work! However, the Ford calendar is more interesting to me. It may have something to do with the fact that I haven't seen the calendar photos a million times like I have the SI stuff, but, honestly, her harder-to-find fashion editorials, catalog work and Elizabeth Arden advertisements actually excite me more than anything in SI

Her calendar reminds me, in a way, of the Ford's Super Models of the World Calendar. 

That makes total sense because it was, after all, Ford that produced Vendela's calendar.

It feels like a more fashion-oriented thing. 

I think that probably has a lot to do with the calendar’s photographer, Barry McKinley, (a New Zealander who died in 1992) being primarily a fashion lensman. He worked with Vendela quite a few times, especially for European editions of fashion mags like Harper's Bazaar and Glamour.

When the models do their own calendar, and also Sports Illustrated, it's so interesting to compare. 

Agreed!

Vendela (of course) was the cover of the 1993 SI swimsuit magazine, and she has an impressive run in the magazine from '92-'97 ('96 only in an ad). I think I just prefer her SI stuff as swimsuit calendar/pinup work.  She's so great in SI (especially with Robert Huntzinger). 

I completely respect your opinion, and understand what you’re saying for the most part. I think both the McKinley/Ford calendar and SI were trying to achieve the same goal - making Vendela look as sexy as possible - but SI was more successful in producing overtly sexy images.

It's the same with Carol Alt.  I think Carol is a fabulous model, but her own calendars were just a bit, I don't know, uninspired maybe.  It's not like they're bad, or something.  But I just liked her stuff in SI much more, more successful as swimsuit/pinup work.

Carol was/is very pretty, but her pictures just don't "do" anything for me. She, Kim Alexis, Cheryl Tiegs, Rosie Vela and Christie Brinkley all fall into a similar category: I've come to view them as overused and boring. But, I'm sure the there are people who find Renee Simonsen, Brooke Shields and Beverly Johnson to have been overused, yet I love seeing those ladies! Anyway, as I said earlier, I respect your opinion, and I’m flattered that you would take the time to ask for mine. Thank you!

-vendelafan

Edited by vendelafan
fixed formatting

• 2 months later...