Bellazon

Aishwarya Rai
Thumbnail

Ronin

• 2 weeks later...

Cairn Energy to name its oil field after Ash

The Scottish oil and gas company, led by the former rugby International Bill Gammell had named the field that transformed the company from a minnow into a FTSE 100 giant, Mangala. Another field is called Vandana.

But now a field is to be called Aishwarya. Cairn told a royal exchange commentator that the idea followed an impromptu meeting at 30000 feet. That is when a group of Cairn Energy executives saw and met Aishwarya Rai on a plane. They thought if so far they had been naming fields after mythological goddesses why not name one after a "living goddess".

So, now Ashwarya Rai is immortalised in "oil". So far she was a "legend" in wax (at Madame Tussaud's).

Ash gets EU's Global Diversity award

Press Trust of India

Posted online: Friday, November 25, 2005 at 1156 hours IST

London, November 25: Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai was today honoured with the 2005 Global Diversity award by the European Union for her contribution to diversity.

Keith Vaz, MP, former minister for Foreign and Commonwealth Office, co-chair of the one-day conference on 'celebrating Diversity in the European Union' at the Lords Cricket ground presented the award to Aishwarya, who was given a rousing reception by 'bhangra dancers', accompanied by drummers.

Present on the occasion were NRI leader Lord King, Amar Singh, Samajwadi Party MP, and several dignitaries. Accepting the award in "all humility," Aishwarya thanked the large gathering, including a sizeable Indian community for extending her such a warm welcome. "I will cherish this honour and it is quite humbling to note the fact that all of you really believe that I have earned it."

"As an Asian woman, and specially as an Indian woman, it is wonderful, you all recognize contributions of women. I accept this award on behalf of Asian women world over.

She also spoke about India's diverse music and culture. "I take pride in India, a country known for its diversity, culture, and it is reflected in our cinema."

She said being an actress gave her an opportunity to reflect such rich diversity and culture.

"Films no doubt are a medium of entertainment. Through the medium we are impacting on the life of the people. I do hope to make most of the blessing I have received from all of you and live up to your expectations," she said.

Presenting the award, Vaz said "India is a country that is developing at huge pace and the face of India is changing because of faces like Aishwarya Rai."

Describing her as a role model, Vaz said: "Aishwarya Rai is a symbol of what Asian women can achieve and a real international symbol of diversity."

Aishwarya also picked winner of the lucky draw, and said the funds raised through the draw would be donated to 'roko Cancer,' a trust set up by NRI entrepreneur A P S Chawla for helping victims of breast cancer in India.

Earlier, Hollywood star Jackie Chan and olympic medallist Kelly Holmes were also given awards for their outstanding achievements in their respective fields.

wow thats great John Abraham he is very nice guy i have seen him quite manytimes..he keep visitning Dubai everynow and then for different purpose..he is so down to earth no tantrums atall..hatsoff to him and Aish she is ver nice and good looking as well :heart:

• 2 weeks later...

VH1 50 Sexiest Actresses of the last 20 years

Aishwarya Rai is at Number 12

12. Aishwarya Rai

The reigning queen of Indian cinema has almost never kissed a man on film. It's considered a taboo in the Bollywood film industry. But then she doesn't have to. The former Miss World from Mangalore is capable of seducing audiences with a single twitch of hip during a red-hot dance number.

Must-see movie: Bunty Aur Babli

Turn-ons: Rai enters vindaloo territory while unveiling her bellybutton during the song "Kajra Re."