Bellazon

General gaming talk

Enrico_sw

5 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I don't know, I'll probably wait a couple of weeks/months when I'll have enough spare time to spend some time on it (I want to play it and discover the world by my own, spending time to understand the details).

From what I've heard, this one is way better to play than watch. Which GPU will you have in your laptop?

You sound busy. The main story/lore are great, definitely GRRM style with a lot of interesting characters and mysteries.  Very unique and very strange.   I wish however, that they went as far as the Witcher in depth and volume instead of making them not so deep. The character concepts are all very good.  The story is another Dark Souls style puzzle that new players would have to figure out as they play, and it has confused a lot of people who didn't seek outside help (wikia, lore videos, discussions etc.).

I intend to research the laptop I want over this week or the next.  

I need a GPU that is good enough for HD video editing (without the computer overheating) so that would be my baseline.

What GPU do you use?

23 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

@Enrico_sw  @Matt!

I bought this laptop today:

MSI GE76 Raider Gaming Laptop - 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11800H - GeForce RTX 3060 

Good choice. The RTX 3060 is a pretty solid GPU. Nvidia has decreased its prices over the past months, especially for the RTX 30 series (they're preparing the market to the new RTX 40 series,  which are pretty much going to be absolute beasts).

The RTX 30 series is a very good generation of GPU, with performant ray tracing capabilities. You're going to be able to play Cyberpunk with great graphics!

1 hour ago, Enrico_sw said:

Good choice. The RTX 3060 is a pretty solid GPU. Nvidia has decreased its prices over the past months, especially for the RTX 30 series (they're preparing the market to the new RTX 40 series,  which are pretty much going to be absolute beasts).

The RTX 30 series is a very good generation of GPU, with performant ray tracing capabilities. You're going to be able to play Cyberpunk with great graphics!

The laptop I got has a $300 price drop recently. I noticed that MSI with the RTX 3060 is noticably a good buy especially compared to the MSI gaming laptops with the RTX 3070.  ($600-$1000 plus price difference).  It seems like MSI really wants to phase out the RTX 3060 and RTX 3050.

Video editing only needs 4 GB VRAM maximum.  The RTX 3060 also surpasses the requirements for Elden Ring.

However, I've noticed that the laptop version of the RTX 3060 has 6 GB of VRAM while the desktop component has 12 GB.  What does this mean to you?  

What video card do you have?

interesting to see in the BTS documentary of Witcher 1 that the author was a consultant (Andrey Sapkowski), so in a way he really help shape the continuation of his books.  Sadly, sometime after the author and CDPR split due to royalty issues/lawsuit.

I also got a HDMI cable to connect my laptops to a 24 inch widescreen monitor.  

Finished Witcher 1 movie.  I liked the story.  It is very simplified but it is authentic/derivative from the books.  The voice actor for Geralt is the same as W2/W3 and he hit the ground running.  They also changed Geralt's personality a little bit from the books- they made him somewhat more sharp-witted/forked tongue and more sarcastic/badass than in the books.  So the change I detected in W3 was already made in W1.   I also like how Dandelion was an important part of W1 just like he was in the books and played a similar role.  The also greatly expanded Shani's role (in the books she was a minor character).  Triss' role is very sneaky but overall quite shallow.  

Now onto the Witcher 2 movie.  Witcher 2 was known to be a huge leap forward and it was a big success for CDPR:

Finished Witcher 2 movie.  

It is very focused on the plots and politics side of the Witcher novels and also follows the Human-elf conflict and the Lodge. So the politics of W2 are a continuation of the politics of the novels.

The story of the Witcher 2 is also an important precursor for the Radovid/Temeria/Lodge plots & politics part of the Witcher 3.  In a way the W3 concludes the story arc.

The elephant in the room for both Witcher 1 and 2 the complete omisssion of Ciri and Yennefer.  They are briefly mentioned but all the characters from the novels act like Ciri and Yennefer barely existed.

In actuality, they were the most important people in Geralt's life.  This is rather interesting creative decision made by CDPR as they had "saved" the main characters of the novels for the Witcher 3. 

Now I am rewatching the Letho "epilogue" in Witcher 3.  Interesting that Saskia is completely omitted from the Witcher 3, perhaps she will reappear in Witcher 4?

Overall Witcher 2 was good but not great and not as good as W3.  I think they could have continued the novels in a more interesting way than focusing on the less interesting storyline of the novels, and focused more on human relationships rather than political maneuvers.