Bellazon

My goodness, what are you thinking about now??? ( No politics version )

Cult Icon

I gave myself one of the best haircuts I've ever had, looks like I went to a salon.   however it still took 2 hrs.  The key difference is that I watched 15 minutes of shearing sissor videos and found out that I was using the sissors wrong! 

I am finally getting into the brilliant Witcher audiobooks after being dropping them early in the summer.  My progress is 1.5 out of 8 books.  So Season 1 of the show is supposed to cover books 1 and 2 (which were short story collections with emphasis on character and world building).  I will watch it after I finish book 2.  Season 2 appears to start from the main story, which is Blood of Elves and 4 more books.  

@Enrico_sw

So the books are the prequel to the Witcher 3 and certainly are essential to fully understanding the world in the game.. From what I've listened to so far CD Red did a great job with writing a fan-fiction sequel to the books, the quality of the writing is on par with the author/creater and it even seems rather indisguishable from it.  It's like when I'm listening to the books I imagine the Witcher 3 game...

Also the character of Yennefer is presented similar to one in the game but with her "difficult" aspects being on steriods.  She is bipolar, with a selfish bitch side and a more feminine, intimate side.  In later books she might soften up but so far she is a huge bitch character in book 1 and book 2 and I find myself disgusted with her.  However Geralt is hugely attracted to her, just like in the game.  It is not revealed why he likes her...

So the books are the prequel to the Witcher 3 and certainly are essential to fully understanding the world in the game.. From what I've listened to so far CD Red did a great job with writing a fan-fiction sequel to the books, the quality of the writing is on par with the author/creater and it even seems rather indisguishable from it.  It's like when I'm listening to the books I imagine the Witcher 3 game...

CDPR has great writers, even in Cyberpunk they did a fine job (it's a good game honestly, it's a shame it turned out to be such a mess)

Also the character of Yennefer is presented similar to one in the game but with her "difficult" aspects being on steriods.  She is bipolar, with a selfish bitch side and a more feminine, intimate side.  In later books she might soften up but so far she is a huge bitch character in book 1 and book 2 and I find myself disgusted with her.  However Geralt is hugely attracted to her, just like in the game.  It is not revealed why he likes her...

I never liked Yennefer. I always preferred Triss, not just cause she's a redhead, but also cause she has a sweeter voice, nicer personality and she really cares for Geralt.

Triss' actress in the show is bad though... very bad. They should've hired someone closer to her the game (but hey, at least she didn't release a crazy video like Faye Valentine's actress after the backlash  :rolleyes:)

1bc6409e9bde2a707576dcfad61f1732.gif

In the show, they present Yennefer in a slightly better way; they explain her story and the hardships she had to overcome, so that makes her a more likeable (or less dislikeable) character.

As for why Geralt is attracted to her, you know why, don't you? They explain it in the Witcher 3 and in the series' season 1 too (and it's originally from the books). It has to do with the... (let me know if you don't remember)

CDPR has great writers, even in Cyberpunk they did a fine job (it's a good game honestly, it's a shame it turned out to be such a mess)

I never liked Yennefer. I always preferred Triss, not just cause she's a redhead, but also cause she has a sweeter voice, nicer personality and she really cares for Geralt.

Triss' actress in the show is bad though... very bad. They should've hired someone closer to her the game (but hey, at least she didn't release a crazy video like Faye Valentine's actress after the backlash  :rolleyes:)

In the show, they present Yennefer in a slightly better way; they explain her story and the hardships she had to overcome, so that makes her a more likeable (or less dislikeable) character.

As for why Geralt is attracted to her, you know why, don't you? They explain it in the Witcher 3 and in the series' season 1 too (and it's originally from the books). It has to do with the... (let me know if you don't remember)

I don't know what you are referring to?

In the book Geralt first encounters Yennefer as an enemy and a reader with no knowledge of Yen would see her as a villian and a psycho based on her evil acts.  His later attraction to Yennefer is triggered by the insight that she is actually a mentally damaged woman, a deformed hunchback that was so ugly that she couldn't get married and thus turned herself into a feminist career-woman through hard work (it's like how in engineering, medicine, science fields etc. there are rarely good looking women...) and has a lot of wounds and issues related to this past and her current lifestyle.

Geralt's attraction to Yennefer in the book and the games is a cycle of sorts that mirrors real relationships in real life.  There is a punishment-reward cycle.  She is chronically creating interpersonal drama, difficult to please, and is constantly sending put-downs on Geralt's way.  When the desired situation comes, she switches her personality to a more feminine and intimate one and rewards Geralt with love and sex...

The author of the books never directly tells the reader why Geralt is so attracted to her but it is implied that he enjoys this type of relationship dynamic.  He likes challenge and drama, the punishment and the reward.  This is my best guess on the author's intent.  He likes this aspect so much that he is okay with her extreme egotism, extreme selfishness, along with some abusive and sociopathic traits.   However by the end of the games "Blood and Wine" Yennefer is presented as completely dropping the difficult side to her personality as she has fully let go of her struggles.

-------------------

I am close to finishing Witcher book 2, so pretty soon I will be ready to watch Season 1.   

Yennefer is met at the end of book 1, and Ciri is met at the end of book 2.   The important stort story in Book 1 is called "the Last Wish" and this game quest is the sequel to it:

Books 1 , 2, and 8 are essentially the "side quests" books.  I recognize many characters that later reappeared in Witcher 3!  

After reading this far in the books the TV series' casting choices of Yen and Geralt are off to me from a purely physical perspective.

The Game Yen looks about right but the TV series Yen is too cute, young, and harmless looking.  

Yen should be more of a sexy and dangerous type visually, like Baroness from GI Joe or a Bond girl with a gun (like Xena from Goldeneye or something..).  Kate Beckinsale was a good choice for game Yen.

Witcher 3 Geralt is closer to Book Geralt but also off.  Henry Cavilli is too pretty to be Geralt, he looks like a Greek god..

Book Geralt should look more like the Geralt in Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 than Witcher 3.

Geralt's appearance is that of a redneck; he is, strong, wiry with functional muscles (not Henry Cavilli's bodybuilder body), is rugged in the face, weird looking eyes/skin, and considered "ugly mutant" "vagrant" by some humans who encounter him.  So he is not a handsome man, but an intimidating badass one.

The closest archetype is Wolverine from X-Men.

I don't know what you are referring to?

In the book Geralt first encounters Yennefer as an enemy and a reader with no knowledge of Yen would see her as a villian and a psycho based on her evil acts.  His later attraction to Yennefer is triggered by the insight that she is actually a mentally damaged woman, a deformed hunchback that was so ugly that she couldn't get married and thus turned herself into a feminist career-woman through hard work (it's like how in engineering, medicine, science fields etc. there are rarely good looking women...) and has a lot of wounds and issues related to this past and her current lifestyle.

Geralt's attraction to Yennefer in the book and the games is a cycle of sorts that mirrors real relationships in real life.  There is a punishment-reward cycle.  She is chronically creating interpersonal drama, difficult to please, and is constantly sending put-downs on Geralt's way.  When the desired situation comes, she switches her personality to a more feminine and intimate one and rewards Geralt with love and sex...

The author of the books never directly tells the reader why Geralt is so attracted to her but it is implied that he enjoys this type of relationship dynamic.  He likes challenge and drama, the punishment and the reward.  This is my best guess on the author's intent.  He likes this aspect so much that he is okay with her extreme egotism, extreme selfishness, along with some abusive and sociopathic traits.   However by the end of the games "Blood and Wine" Yennefer is presented as completely dropping the difficult side to her personality as she has fully let go of her struggles.

-------------------

I am close to finishing Witcher book 2, so pretty soon I will be ready to watch Season 1.   

Yennefer is met at the end of book 1, and Ciri is met at the end of book 2.   The important stort story in Book 1 is called "the Last Wish" and this game quest is the sequel to it:

Books 1 , 2, and 8 are essentially the "side quests" books.  I recognize many characters that later reappeared in Witcher 3!  

My understanding is that they are attracted to each other because of the Djinn. It's highly suggested in the mission "the last wish" (that you just shared) in the Witcher 3 (the name of the mission refers to a short story in the book where he makes a wish to the Djinn).

We don't know what the wish exactly is, but they say (in the game and the series) that it's the reason why they're attracted to each other.

In the game, you undo the wish in that particular mission and then they leave it up to the player. My choice was to tell her that Geralt wasn't attracted to her any more (because Triss is way better, way nicer and, to be honest, Yennefer really behaves like a b***, and, I really hate b*** or spoiled brats).

I really (really) don't like b*** behaviour, passive-aggressive attacks and innuendos, which is what she does a lot. That's actually what aggressive women tend to do when they want to hurt: they don't do physical attacks, but verbal/psychological attacks.

In the series, Yennefer is shown in a better light because they insist on her struggles as a hunchback (which you don't see in the game). I appreciate the fact that she's a fighter, and honestly it makes her look really better, but you can be a fighter without being a b***.

After reading this far in the books the TV series' casting choices of Yen and Geralt are off to me from a purely physical perspective.

The Game Yen looks about right but the TV series Yen is too cute, young, and harmless looking.  

Yen should be more of a sexy and dangerous type visually, like Baroness from GI Joe or a Bond girl with a gun (like Xena from Goldeneye or something..).  Kate Beckinsale was a good choice for game Yen.

Witcher 3 Geralt is closer to Book Geralt but also off.  Henry Cavilli is too pretty to be Geralt, he looks like a Greek god..

Book Geralt should look more like the Geralt in Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 than Witcher 3.

Geralt's appearance is that of a redneck; he is, strong, wiry with functional muscles (not Henry Cavilli's bodybuilder body), is rugged in the face, weird looking eyes/skin, and considered "ugly mutant" "vagrant" by some humans who encounter him.  So he is not a handsome man, but an intimidating badass one.

The closest archetype is Wolverine from X-Men.

I know that the many (many) women find Henry Cavill attractive. I also know that the law for men attractiveness is a "winner takes all" law, whereas women attractiveness is more diverse. BZ is a proof of that: the best looking actor, Leo Dicaprio, sucks nearly all the attention, while the lesser known actors have very inactive threads. For women, you see many many active threads and the repartition is more spread out. That's how it is. The "female gaze" is extremely selective and extremely elitist when it's about partners. On the other hand, they are very collectivist and against competition, when it's about anything else. It's not a judgement BTW, that's how it is and I've seen many studies actually showing that.

Anyway, I digress... My point is that I know Cavill is seen as attractive, but I don't really understand why. His body is too thick / too muscular, I don't really see it as a functional body type and I agree with you: it's too much for the Witcher. Cavill looked better when he was younger. Guys like Michael Fassbender or Viggo Mortensen would look better as Geralt. They're muscular but "nervous type", with leaner bodies (not bodybuilder profiles).

As for Yennefer, Jelena Stankovic would look great.

Jelena Stankovic 410.jpeg

I agree she looks good as Yen.  Femme Fatale/Tigress/dangerous woman is where it is at..

https://www.instagram.com/jelenajelena9/?hl=en

Famke Jensen had a such a good appearance for these roles, she could have played Lara Croft in Tomb Raider as well.

3069.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=Xenia_Onatopp.jpgCqEv5_fWAAATGL1.jpgmaxresdefault.jpgc2d7b43dfb826c5a793c5fd38bb059ad.jpgxenia-onatopp-1595424-normal.jpg?1615738ge_67_280.jpg