Bellazon

Euro 2020

Stromboli1

9 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Belgium perhaps needed a fully fit Eden Hazard to counter Italy's industry and professionalism, even so Lukaku could have had two more in the second half.

Typical Italy game; score 1-2 goals and park the bus in front of the goal. 

13 hours ago, Matt! said:

Typical Italy game; score 1-2 goals and park the bus in front of the goal. 

Not to say that certain Italian sides of the past wouldn't have done exactly that, but I thought prior to the unfortunate loss of Spinazzola they were still chasing last night's game like they were behind. Obviously though, they pivoted into "game management" mode towards the very end.

15 hours ago, Michael* said:

A game that slapped, banged and hammered in equal measure, we'll be lucky if we see a better one at this tournament. Italy shaded the win for me, they were relentless throughout and scored two gems. Belgium perhaps needed a fully fit Eden Hazard to counter Italy's industry and professionalism, even so Lukaku could have had two more in the second half.

Commiserations to Belgium and @SympathysSilhouette, tough to go out after all that effort.

Thanks. Thought it was a deserved win for Italy. Though had we equalized, I liked our chances in extra time. Italy looked very tired in the final fifteen minutes.

Just unlucky that Lukaku doesn't stick that one big chance away. The one he kicked onto Spinazzola.

The second "chance" was too hard. I mean that 'almost' header. It only became an heading opportunity after an Italia deflected it. You need a lot of luck to react quickly enough to make contact with such a ball.

4 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Thanks. Thought it was a deserved win for Italy. Though had we equalized, I liked our chances in extra time. Italy looked very tired in the final fifteen minutes.

Just unlucky that Lukaku doesn't stick that one big chance away. The one he kicked onto Spinazzola.

The second "chance" was too hard. I mean that 'almost' header. It only became an heading opportunity after an Italia deflected it. You need a lot of luck to react quickly enough to make contact with such a ball.

With a more potent second striker, I think Belgium may well have gotten themselves an equaliser. Shame Hazard was unavailable and that De Bruyne was presumably playing with ligament damage of some sort.

World Cup 2022 is only seventeen months away, it should be feasible that most of the current players will be available for one more go there, although I could see three or four of the old guard calling it a day.

17 minutes ago, Michael* said:

With a more potent second striker, I think Belgium may well have gotten themselves an equaliser. Shame Hazard was unavailable and that De Bruyne was presumably playing with ligament damage of some sort.

World Cup 2022 is only seventeen months away, it should be feasible that most of the current players will be available for one more go there, although I could see three or four of the old guard calling it a day.

Belgium should be able to have 1 more run, too soon to overhaul their CBs which is their weak spot.

Politics and scheduling aside about the host country, any team can win this iteration of the tournament my opinion.

14 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

Belgium should be able to have 1 more run, too soon to overhaul their CBs which is their weak spot.

Politics and scheduling aside about the host country, any team can win this iteration of the tournament my opinion.

Our CBs should still be there due to a lack of alternatives.

Martinez is looking into convincing Leeds' Pascal Struijk to play for us. He is also eligible for Holland (but with their CB depth he is far less likely to get much game time for them).

And there is also Zinho Vanheusden, a very good CB from Standard de Liège whose career has been stalled by injuries.

But that's about it discounting the guys who are already on the squad. It's ironic considering at one point CB was our deepest position, with not just Vermaelen/Vertonghen/Alderweireld but also Kompany, Lombaerts and at least for the 2014 WC, Van Buyten.

Czech Republic-Denmark was an enjoyable game for an hour before heat, fatigue and injuries inevitably kicked in. The Czechs were game but ultimately didn't have enough in the tank to turn it around.

Can't think of a better assist in the tournament so far than the Modric-esque cross for that second goal.

You can only beat what's in front of you, as the saying goes, but there wasn't much in front of England last night. Certainly no match for the Fatfield Finisher-Farringdon Massive connection.

Pleased Luke Shaw has been singled out for praise after a good performance and a miraculous comeback from Jose Mourinho.

3 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Our CBs should still be there due to a lack of alternatives.

Not that I'd consider Denayer a world beater, it did seem like a surprise to see Vermaelen get the nod ahead of him against Italy. After an admittedly shocking piece of play to put a goal on a plate for Denmark, he seemed to find his footing as the match wore on but never got a look-in afterwards.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

Not that I'd consider Denayer a world beater, it did seem like a surprise to see Vermaelen get the nod ahead of him against Italy. After an admittedly shocking piece of play to put a goal on a plate for Denmark, he seemed to find his footing as the match wore on but never got a look-in afterwards.

He'll get more opportunities. For whatever reason Martinez really rates Vermaelen, even at his age.

Though I would be very surprised if he starts games at the WC. He might still get some playtime in the Nations league and in WC qualifiers though. Those are only months removed from us.

BTW, it's crazy that England could win this entire thing whilst having the youngest squad at the Euros.

They could dominate world football for the next 5-6 years.

Especially since the only other team who can compete pure talent-wise (France) is going into self-combustion mode again.

Neither Brazil or Argentina will have especially great vintages in 2022. And there is no other European stand-out team.

Germany is solid but nothing compared to their 2014 squad. Belgium on the decline. Holland not good enough up front. Spain a work in progress.

Italy is very well coached but their talent level is limited compared to England's.

That turned out to be a fantastic game, another in a tournament delivering terrific entertainment at times. Whoever the mysterious guru with the 'tache and glasses is and whatever he has written in his folder, it's been working a treat for Mancini and this Italian side.

Another rollercoaster night for poor old Morata. Made Chiellini and Donnarumma look like lampposts for the goal, but how often does his touch seem to abandon him and so quickly as well.

On 7/5/2021 at 8:58 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

BTW, it's crazy that England could win this entire thing whilst having the youngest squad at the Euros.

They could dominate world football for the next 5-6 years.

Especially since the only other team who can compete pure talent-wise (France) is going into self-combustion mode again.

Neither Brazil or Argentina will have especially great vintages in 2022. And there is no other European stand-out team.

Germany is solid but nothing compared to their 2014 squad. Belgium on the decline. Holland not good enough up front. Spain a work in progress.

Italy is very well coached but their talent level is limited compared to England's.

On balance, I would say England have more talent in pretty much all positions and start as slight favourites tonight, however, perhaps fearful of underestimating Denmark (as many teams have to this point), I'd expect Southgate to be just as cautious as he was for the Germany game.

Assuming this is indeed a nervy and low-scoring affair, I suspect that substitutions will prove decisive, especially against a talented tactician like Hjulmand.