Bellazon

Euro 2020

Stromboli1

8 hours ago, Frederick said:

Bit better, though suffice to say the Mail went with "Rampant Lions roar into Euros last 16" which is a bit like the old days of NME proclaiming a band the best in the world based on one good middle-eight from their debut EP. Seemed to me H-Magz for Mings was a bit pointless but Saka's selection worked out, Jack drew the fouls and bagged the assist, Kane had a bit more about him, even Irrelevant Till You're United Sancho was permitted entry onto the field of play for the barest of sniffs. The Czechs are alright, I'd be surprised if any team blew them apart in the knockouts.

That to me felt like an ideal opportunity to give Dominic Calvert-Lewin a little run-out. If he has a stinker, Kane's reinstatement becomes a no-brainer, if not then you've potentially got someone with a bit of form to take into the knockouts.

On that evidence though, a game against Portugal, France or Germany could prove a rude awakening for us. Hopefully Southgate at least continues with Grealish and Sako, both were a clear improvement in the first half, created the goal and were involved in every dangerous move.

Sweden is an extremely pragmatic team, but with some major talents in Isak, Quaison and Kulusevski. Not to be underestimated.

Sad for Lewandowski as Poland's poor record in recent tournaments continues. Would have to question how they managed to turn a seemingly competitive opening game with Slovakia into such a crushingly daft defeat, especially with how dreadful the Slovakians appeared against Spain today.

England and Belgium win their groups and they get Germany and Portugal. :rofl:

Other good games are France v Switzerland, Croatia v Spain, and Netherlands v Czech Republic.

Whomever wins the England v Germany can go all the way to the finals cause that side of the bracket is weak.

You'd be heartless not to feel for the Hungarians, Germany were frighteningly bad in every which way imaginable. God knows who'll show up on Tuesday, the bundle of energy that ripped through Portugal or the incoherent nowhere men of last night (yes, we could obviously lose to both). If Southgate doesn't set his silkiest greyhounds on ol' man Hummels, I'll be calling into Talksport to declare it an act of treason. 

You can tell things are getting a bit desperate for Harry Kane when journalists resort to inventing words like "pre-assist" so they can find something to give him credit for.

Promises to be a tall order given England's apparent inability to keep up the intensity for more than half an hour at a time, but I think the only way we can win on Tuesday is if we can get to half time with a two-goal lead. Anything less and I could see Germany finding a way to turn it around as we get progressively leggier and run out of ideas.

Possibly based on their classy demolition of Russia, the bookies seem to have Denmark as odds-on favourites against Wales, but I see it as a contest of two closely-matched teams that could go either way.

As much as plenty of people (myself included) were quick to rubbish Turkey as "dark horses" who flopped, they looked pretty strong pre-tournament and came unstuck in a competitive group. I wouldn't be surprised if both Wales and Switzerland give a good account of themselves in their next games.

While the red-tops act like it's 1940, the usual "No, WE'RE rubbish and YOU'LL beat us easily!" pre-game chatter among brunch-class German and English fans is alive and well, coupled with obligatory articles reminding Bulldog Dave (who isn't reading anyway because of the pinko-media paywall) that Onkel Fritz cares more about beating the Dutch and Italians, so best to calm down a bit. 

Was expecting a tight encounter from Denmark-Wales but it ended up being one of the most one-sided games of the entire tournament, and one tactical switch by the Danish manager was seemingly all it took to sway it for them.

Apart from the first twenty minutes, Bale would probably have made more of an impact had he brought his golf clubs on.

Relief for Italia there, it looked like they were going to be in for a frustrating evening for quite some time but found something extra against Austria, who were the better side for long periods. Mancini and Vialli celebrating together will never not be a joyful sight.

Think most knew a trio of cuddly wins at home didn't suddenly make the Dutch formidable but that was still a pretty limp display. I'm sure everyone'll be putting the boot in on De Ligt, who, befitting of his age and position, is clearly some way off from becoming Mr Consistency. As for the Czechs: meaty but there's some silk there; I ain't playing them twice!

Workmanlike from the Czechs, don't think we're going to see anything scintillating from them but they have a bit of craft and even in the first half were starting to get some joy down the right hand side. De Boer looked like he didn't have a clue what to do after the red card, was slightly surprising how little the Dutch had to offer late on.

The quality wasn't as high as you'd expect, from both sides really, but it was an entertaining game for the neutral, especially when it started getting a bit spicy towards the end.

Portugal laid quite the siege in the second half but wasted good chances, either by delaying the final ball or trying to shoot from impossible angles. In fairness to them, they must have had the toughest run possible for defending champions.

Belgium rode their luck a little at times and will need to be better against Italy. Hopefully Hazard and De Bruyne will be good to go.