Bellazon

Euro 2020

Stromboli1

46 minutes ago, Matt! said:

SloVciH.jpg

Four points taken against Spain and Slovakia is a bit of a result, should be more than enough to reach the knockouts from a rather tight group. Alexander Isak looks as if he could become a real star.

3 hours ago, Michael* said:

Four points taken against Spain and Slovakia is a bit of a result, should be more than enough to reach the knockouts from a rather tight group. Alexander Isak looks as if he could become a real star.

Looking good so far, the defense has been great. Just wishing that Zlatan would've made it, he and Isak's would've been unstoppable.  

Anemic about covers it. Scotland did what it said on the tin and credit to them, meanwhile we the ones with all the "vibrant ball carriers" seem to have decided that the one decent move we had against Croatia was an aberration to be frightened of, that "patient build-up" capped off with a clipped ball over the top (the heavier the better!) to a clapped out Hazza K. is the be-all and end-all move. Three man comm box was a good touch by ITV, though, enabling Ally and Dixie to crowd out Matterface's amped up prattle. Hey, they can stop showing that Gazza goal now!

With a bit more composure in front of goal, Scotland would almost certainly have helped themselves to three points there. Not quite sure how Southgate pulled it off, but England managed to isolate the forward line, concede the midfield and look vulnerable to the counter, and all at the same time which certainly takes some doing.

England-Czech Republic is a game that has 0-0 written all over it in enormous spread-bet baiting letters.

10 hours ago, Frederick said:

Three man comm box was a good touch by ITV, though, enabling Ally and Dixie to crowd out Matterface's amped up prattle. Hey, they can stop showing that Gazza goal now!

Captain Kane, as Matterface called him in the early going, should be demoted to private for going AWOL.

12 hours ago, Michael* said:

England-Czech Republic is a game that has 0-0 written all over it in enormous spread-bet baiting letters.

Move the game to 6am or whenever it was we played Nigeria in 2002 and maybe the masses won't mind as much? In lieu of an intriguing sporting contest, they could bring in John Motson to talk about breakfast, as I recall him doing for the entirety of that World Cup, even when the game before him was quite good. Or install Wazza Roo on the pitch at the end for a bit of "night to have ya own fans boo ya!" Algeria 0-0 energy and just burn the whole thing down.

3 hours ago, Frederick said:

Move the game to 6am or whenever it was we played Nigeria in 2002 and maybe the masses won't mind as much? In lieu of an intriguing sporting contest, they could get bring in John Motson to talk about breakfast, as I recall him doing for the entirety of that World Cup, even when the game before him was quite good. Or install Wazza Roo on the pitch at the end for a bit of "night to have ya own fans boo ya!" Algeria 0-0 energy and just burn the whole thing down.

On paper a five point haul sounds alright, the potential drawback being that anything less than a group win would send England away from Wembley until the semis (not that we're likely to make it that far, of course). Southgate is certainly no Sir Bobby or El Tel, he strikes me as being far too risk-averse to play the long game and regardless of team selection, one can't expect them to snap instantly out of the "safety first" mindset.

France in 2018 looked conservative and stodgy, they only seemed to sparkle when they were counter attacking but I suppose you'd have to say that's the Deschamps way. I seem to remember the side he captained in 1998 being similarly cautious.

Fully expecting more of the same this summer, but still very much fancy them to win it all. A draw against Hungary might even be good luck, it was for Portugal last time.

Ripsnorting game between Germany and Portugal, albeit neither side would appear to be in serious danger of failing to reach the knockouts.

Odd to think that the Germans are almost being looked at as outsiders for this tournament, which to my mind only makes them more dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised now if they topped the group by beating Hungary, as France and Portugal play out a "convenient" draw in Budapest.

Fernandes looks spent, Solskjaer has run him into the ground for United this season and it looks like he has nothing left in the tank. Portuguese fans must be narked.

11 hours ago, Michael* said:

Ripsnorting game between Germany and Portugal, albeit neither side would appear to be in serious danger of failing to reach the knockouts.

Odd to think that the Germans are almost being looked at as outsiders for this tournament, which to my mind only makes them more dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised now if they topped the group by beating Hungary, as France and Portugal play out a "convenient" draw in Budapest.

Fernandes looks spent, Solskjaer has run him into the ground for United this season and it looks like he has nothing left in the tank. Portuguese fans must be narked.

Bold is the coach who lets an 80 year-old Pepe on the same pitch as Gnabry. 

16 hours ago, Michael* said:

On paper a five point haul sounds alright, the potential drawback being that anything less than a group win would send England away from Wembley until the semis (not that we're likely to make it that far, of course). Southgate is certainly no Sir Bobby or El Tel, he strikes me as being far too risk-averse to play the long game and regardless of team selection, one can't expect them to snap instantly out of the "safety first" mindset.

The Wembley big screen whooper-a-thon isn't meshing with Uncle Gareth's pragmabore ways, a hairy arsed contest out in Baku would probably suit this team.

13 hours ago, Frederick said:

Bold is the coach who lets an 80 year-old Pepe on the same pitch as Gnabry.

Remarkable how comically poor Portugal looked at the back and how stubborn Santos was in doing the square root of bugger all to change it. Schoolboy stuff from Semedo too, allowing Gosens acres of space out wide. The way he and Kimmich were marauding down the wings, it was almost like watching Gasperini's Atalanta at times.

14 hours ago, Frederick said:

The Wembley big screen whooper-a-thon isn't meshing with Uncle Gareth's pragmabore ways, a hairy arsed contest out in Baku would probably suit this team.

Pity we couldn't wangle a round of 16 game against Spain, could have been the first match ever to have a negative amount of attempts on goal.

Italy still looking good, no denying that plenty of teams have started the group stages like bombs before coming unstuck in the knockouts, but so far they've been an entertaining watch.

Apart from Belgium, Wales should fancy their chances against any of their potential next opponents from Group B.

Are Turkey still dark horses?

Obviously wish Billy Gilmour well but can't help wondering how the table tennis tournament panned out. Robertson's experience at the top level, McGinn's steel and energy, Gilmour's composure and fearless approach. It's tough to pick a winner.

Decent stuff again from the Dutch. As much as I'd like to see them go deep into the tournament, they've a relatively leaky defence that I fear will be exposed in the round of 16 or the quarters.

North Macedonia have tried to play positive football, scored two goals, had a few hit the woodwork and a couple disallowed for offside. They can go home with heads held high.

First goal was mad unlucky but Belgium were the better side, they deserved to win and to be fair, it seemed like it was only a matter of time before they scored again anyway.

Really pleased for Denmark as well. While Finland perhaps won't now make it, it's a good story for them to have gotten to the tournament and they have a goal and a win to take home, so a decent outcome all things considered.

Very much a side point I know, but isn't the Belgian crest just the most exemplary piece of modernist design? Absolute corker.

Bit better, though suffice to say the Mail went with "Rampant Lions roar into Euros last 16" which is a bit like the old days of NME proclaiming a band the best in the world based on one good middle-eight from their debut EP. Seemed to me H-Magz for Mings was a bit pointless but Saka's selection worked out, Jack drew the fouls and bagged the assist, Kane had a bit more about him, even Irrelevant Till You're United Sancho was permitted entry onto the field of play for the barest of sniffs. The Czechs are alright, I'd be surprised if any team blew them apart in the knockouts.